AQ suited vs. UTG limp then reraise all in

pokernut

pokernut

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
EDIT: Title should read UTG

This was in the WSOOF event going on now. This play really confused me. What would you do here?

pokerstars Game #10182996213: Tournament #48894010, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2007/05/30 - 12:47:17 (ET)
Table '48894010 1' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: MackemProud (2500 in chips)
Seat 2: ewen44 (1280 in chips)
Seat 3: STLPokaWiz (1735 in chips)
Seat 4: ddppmm (1975 in chips)
Seat 5: scotalad2006 (3415 in chips)
Seat 6: bcartervol98 (1485 in chips)
Seat 7: gobluejrm (530 in chips)
Seat 8: pafo777 (1835 in chips)
Seat 9: Raiders Rule (1450 in chips)
gobluejrm: posts small blind 50
pafo777: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to STLPokaWiz [Ah Qh]
Raiders Rule: calls 100
MackemProud: folds
ewen44: folds
STLPokaWiz: raises 300 to 400
ddppmm: folds
scotalad2006: folds
bcartervol98: folds
gobluejrm: folds
pafo777: folds
Raiders Rule: raises 1050 to 1450 and is all-in
STLPokaWiz: ?

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The ol' UTG limp the monster? You're getting 2 to 1 with AQs, but its basically with your tourney life on the line. As much as I hate to admit it, I'd chicken out and fold this. Keep an eye on him though, never trust those raiders fans...

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being a huge KC Chiefs fan. I call and flop the flush, sending this Raiders fan back to the rail.

In reality I fold this. I think the best you could hope for would be a coin flip. No need to bust out of the tournament yet. Be careful though, your next raise might get the same reaction from someone else. Be ready to put all your money in the middle next time you raise a hand.

K

Kajagugu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you have a read on this guy? This smells like a slow played big pair. I can't see any other reason for it. It could be that he has AK and decided to got crazy with it. It also depends on what your table image is at this point.

I would actually only raise to 250 here. This will look very strange to anyone not holding a monster and will also allow me to get away from the hand cheaply.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being a huge KC Chiefs fan. I call and flop the flush, sending this Raiders fan back to the rail

Now ain't that a real bitch for a Raider, getting knocked out by a Chief?

I agree Tos, it does affect your table image and you'll have to call the shove if someone does it again, but for now laying this one down seems best.

pokernut

pokernut

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No real reads on the guy.

STLPokaWiz: folds
Raiders Rule collected 950 from pot
Raiders Rule: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 950 | Rake 0
Seat 1: MackemProud folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: ewen44 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: STLPokaWiz folded before Flop
Seat 4: ddppmm folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: scotalad2006 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: bcartervol98 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: gobluejrm (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: pafo777 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: Raiders Rule collected (950)

I folded, to wait for a better spot. My image was extremely tight, only showed down the nuts, and didn't play very many hands. About 10 hands later here's what happened: Villian (differnet guy) had been raising like crazy playing just about every hand. He raised to 400 UTG with blinds at 50/100. We both had just below avg stack sizes (me about 1500, him about 1600). I pushed with AhJh hoping to pick up the blinds plus his 400 figuring there's no way he calls with my table image, and if he did I though I probably was at worst racing. He calls with Ac8c and hits a runner runner straight to send me packing. I think I made the right move there, and am overall happy with my play. would you guys have gotten fancy there with that hand? Without trying to be results oriented it's hard to look at in retrospect if a call or a fold would have been better.

K

Kajagugu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
10 hands later you have little choice. You are about to go to 100/200 blinds (if you're not there yet) with 1500 which is an M of 5 and you have to find a hand to shove and double up. His raise was a typical Ace-Rag donkey move and you were right to shove and isolate him. Suckouts happen but the play was right.

pokernut

pokernut

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^^

Yeah, the blinds were about to go up. I wasn't too much worried about the suckout more of just whether it was the right move. I guess calling would have been probably the worst play there.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^^

Yeah, the blinds were about to go up. I wasn't too much worried about the suckout more of just whether it was the right move. I guess calling would have been probably the worst play there.

You played it right, you had the correct read and got sucked out. A8 should have folded there, but boneheads get lucky all the time.