Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YouTube - Ivey Aussie million

I saw this hand and I'm like

what!?!??!

Why did Ivey raise with a Q7?

And why did Dia call on that board? That was the stupidest but best call I've ever seen.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw this hand and I'm like "what?"

Why did Ivey raise with a Q7?
Everyone folded to Ivey in the CO. He was trying to steal the blinds.
Sandro17 said:
And why did Dia call on that board? That was the stupidest but best call I've ever seen.
Dia must have had a read on Ivey. Ivey's betting actually didn't make sense for what is usual for Ivey. A top pro would put out a medium-sized bet on the river if he had a hand and wanted a call. Dia smelled a bluff and went for it. Far from a "stupid" call.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just on the strength of probabilities there's a 64% chance that Ivey's hand doesn't contain a diamond when there's 4 already on the board. The pot's giving him 2.3:1, so he only needs a 30% chance of winning to call. Ivey doesn't have him covered. If Ivey had a genuinely strong hand he'd probably have bet smaller to encourage the call. All compelling reasons for a call here.

I think the guy should have raised on the turn though, since he didn't have a diamond.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the "kings full" ivey joked about in the end. He's really a class act player and a good sport...