any comments on this would be appreciated

eagle jim

eagle jim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late in the tournament, 130 or so left, just moved to this table and as you can see called the bb unraised. Probably shoulda woulda coulda but I would love to hear what your thoughts are on how this was played. B

Stacks:

* BTN with 34692
* SB with 19765
* BB with 30746
* UTG with 38027
* UTG+1 with 20698
* MP1 with 19896
* MP2 with 28667
* CO with 30039

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds: 500/1000
Site: pokerstars
* * Dealt to SB:6♠ 6♦
* * Sklansky group 6
Preflop:
* * 6 players fold.
* * Hero calls [500]
* * BB: checks
* * Total folds this street: 6
* * Potsize: 2000
Flop:
* * Q♥ 9♣ 4♣
* * Hero: checks
* * BB bets [1000]
* * Hero calls [1000]
* * Potsize: 4000
Turn:
* * 6♥
* * Hero: checks
* * BB bets [6000]
* * Hero raises 11665 to 17665 [ all-in ]
* * BB calls [11665]
* * Potsize: 39330
River:
* * 9♥
Results:
* * Hero shows a full house, Sixes full of Nines:
* * 6♠ 6♦
* * BB shows a full house, Nines full of Fours:
* * 4♦ 9♠
* * BB collected 40130 from pot

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

M

marble

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you got really lucky on the turn. he got really lucky on the river. i don't know what else you want because if you would of raised preflop, bb prolly would of folded. not much going on here

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop I'd raise this most of the time, but I don't think there's anything terribly wrong with flat calling.

It's the flop that's the problem for me: there's two overcards on the board, as well as possible straight and flush draws, and villain could have pretty much anything here.

If they're drawing it means they've probably got overcards as well, so we've gotta dodge a lot of cards to still be ahead at the river. And if they've got a Q or a 9, we're a long way behind. So I probably concede the pot at that stage.

As played though, once you've hit your set on the turn stacking off is standard in my book. End result was a cooler

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as you were planning to lead the turn, I don't actually mind a call on the flop if villain has made one or two c-bets. It looks like a bet to take the pot down just from it being half the pot but obviously that is read dependent. It also changes when you hit the 6 of course.

I think a raise from the SB is necessary just because of the size of the blinds, it would be great to take down 1500. Remember that calling and then hitting your hand will require BB to hit as well. If you hit and bet the flop you are just gaining what you would have from a steal and the extra 500 you put in if villain folds, so nothing extra.

Standard after the 6 appeared.

Last edited:
F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played preflop this is a fold on the flop. After the turn shoving is correct and you just got unlucky. But you should have raised from SB preflop and just tried to take his blind (which obv would have worked with 94o). If you call you are basically playing for set value, which is a bad idea when there are only 2 ppl in the pot. I have no idea what you were thinking calling on the flop. It isn't exactly a c-bet when he checked from BB and so you only beat air. You are only drawing to 2 outs to improve your hand so just let it go unless you have seen the same player make a similar move with nothing before.

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played preflop this is a fold on the flop. After the turn shoving is correct and you just got unlucky. But you should have raised from SB preflop and just tried to take his blind (which obv would have worked with 94o). If you call you are basically playing for set value, which is a bad idea when there are only 2 ppl in the pot. I have no idea what you were thinking calling on the flop. It isn't exactly a c-bet when he checked from BB and so you only beat air. You are only drawing to 2 outs to improve your hand so just let it go unless you have seen the same player make a similar move with nothing before.

Maybe not a standard c-bet as he was not the aggressor pre-flop but think of what he has seen. A flat call from the small blind then a check on the flop. Even if he whiffed, that is two signs of weakness there. Why not try to take the pot down? The small blind has surrendered the chance to steal this twice, so take it away.

As the small blind I would not have played it this way but would be aware I have looked weak. However, knowing my opponent could be making a play, with a decent read a check-raise this a few times and maybe flat call then lead the turn. Thinking about it, check-raise is probably the better option if we think we are ahead unless we are planning some wild trap with third pair, lol.

As I have said, would raise pre-flop though.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pre flop call not isn't awful but a raise is obviously the best option. After youve called however, you have to check/fold any non 6 flops without reads.

Turn shove is fine

eagle jim

eagle jim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the comments, hindsight is 20/20 but I really thought I blew this by not raising out of the small blind. Seems that everyone agrees. With only the BB left to act, I normally would raise with a pp.......

The more I learn about poker, the more I realize I have to learn.....lol
Thanks

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, you're probably going broke this hand no matter what, but you didn't play it well either.

Limp preflop, that's fine.
Why the heck are you calling a flop 1/2 pot bet with 2 overs and 2 OUTS? That is your mistake, and the rest is you getting felted. This is an easy fold here, or what do they call it, an 'insta fold'...

eagle jim

eagle jim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, you're right. Def an insta fold.....but at least I have provided a perfect example of how not to play that hand. LOL

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can lead that flop (best option), you can on occassion check raise it, but check-calling is not nice :)

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, you're probably going broke this hand no matter what, but you didn't play it well either.

Hero raises to 3X bb preflop, villain folds.

Thats how you don't go broke

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

ok, fair enuff, but technically we don't know they have 94o, and we are oop, and iffin we make the standard raise, and get raised back, not sure I wanna risk my stack with pp6. If we are flat called, that's not giving us much information, plus your assuming 94o will fold to the raise...??? which they should, but who knows.

Regardless, many pros expound, see cheap flops with little prs/sooted connectors, even tricky disguised hole cards. The point being when you hit the flop, hard, you probably can get paid. So I still think, the limp is not a bad play here, sure you know the BB can see a free flop... But that is not a big mistake, not even a little mistake, imo, compared to the flop play, that is where the mistake happens...

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The other way you don't go broke is to call pre-flop and fold the flop.

I prefer the pre-flop raise, but I wouldn't fault the other option much in a tournament survival situation.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your in the SB folded to you and your holding a PP late in tourney, raise all the time IMO in this spot.
This advice is in no way results oriented because with the folds all around, you will most likely have the best hand most of the time and a raise is a definite.
By no way should you ever just complete in the SB if ever in a similar situation in the future.