D

dsm420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
what would yo have done?

1st hand $5 multi-table tourney at pokerroom. 1500 starting chips blinds 10/20

I was dealt jj in MP. UTG folds next player makes it 100 and the next player makes it 200. I'm next to act. do I raise all-in (any other raise seems stupid); call with 7 players to act, including the original raiser; or fold. if you call what do you do when it is folded to the BB who raises all-in and the reraiser calls.

normally I would call. I have a high PP with a possibility of winning a big pot and I would still have 1300 chips if I missed the flop. raising all-in puts me at risk of losing all my chips on the 1st hand when there is a reasonable possibility I'm facing an overpair. folding avoids any danger but offers no opportunities.

I decided to fold. BB raised all-in and reraiser called. BB shows qq reraiser shows aa. the board changes nothing and aa takes the pot.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold. Quite an easy fold actually, though I definitely used to see hands like this as 'problem' hands a few months back.

A UTG+1 raise followed by a UTG+2 minraise means one of three things.

1) One of them has a better hand than you, or

2) They are both idiots with silly hands and you will most likely have many better chances to take all their chips, or

3) (this is the least likely) They both have AK/AQ and you're in pretty good shape, but still less than 50% to win against both hands and probably about 60% to win against one of them.

Last edited:
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First thing I would do next time is leave off the results in your last three sentences. Then the replies you get stand less chance of being results oriented.

That said, the old saying is second raise is Aces or Kings. By that theory alone, fold PF. The only other thing I would do is possibly call and see if I can get to the flop. Re-raising is out of the question with two raisers in front of you and 1/2 a table of people behind you looking to double up (or triple, quad, etc) on the first hand.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two early position players raise and you only have Pocket Jacks. It's a fold every time. Unless you have Pocket Kings or Aces, fold in that situation.

D

docdroid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, the only move is to fold and save whatever you might have bet for later, when you know more about your opponents. Foolish to risk it all so early with the hand that I now call "Danger, danger Will Robinson!"