Am I a donkey?

LesDoodis

LesDoodis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I was playing a $5, 9-person SnG on FT yesterday. It was down to 4 and I was rotating between 2nd and 3rd b/c of the blinds. The big stack was raising all-in just about every time. I had let go many hands during this, AT, Ax sooted, KJ and what not. Not extremely great hands but pretty good with 4 people. I was wanting to make the money since my game has been suffering lately so I wasn't going to make a mistake and go against the big stack. It comes down to me and him in the blinds at that time, and he raises all-in. Something like 9,500 to my 2,800 or so. I have KJs and think about it. We had been down to 4 for about 25 minutes and I was getting impatient. I knew the small stack wouldn't play unless they had a high pocket pair and it didn't look like they were going to make a move anytime soon. So I made my stand. I called. He showed KQos. I caught a J and two spades on the flop and actually hit trips on the river. Was this bad? They got pissed and wouldn't stop talking about how bad a play it was. I just told him next time I would sit back watch him go all in over and over. I actually starting thinking to myself if this was a horrible call or not. Until I saw him call an all-in (about half his stack at that point) with 96os. He hit the gut shot and ended up placing second to me (which he wasn't happy with). In the end, am I a donkey for that play? I know one play does not a donkey make, but just wondering.

:withstupi

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need blinds and table stack sizes, otherwise it's impossible to judge.

LesDoodis

LesDoodis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry,

Me-$2800
Pusher-$9500
Some Guy1-$2600
Short Stack-$1300

The blinds were at 150/300 I believe and the stacks hadn't changed much in the last 20-30 minutes.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that it's an autofold then. Let the shorty bust out before playing speculative hands like KJs. If he doubles up, then you can start maybe calling with those sort of hands, but calling all your chips off with a marginal hand when there's a desperate shorty about is pretty silly. Open pushing with it is reasonable, but calling a push is bad. Don't just look at your cards, look at the tournament situation as a whole.

Saying you folded AT then calling with KJs makes no real sense either.

LesDoodis

LesDoodis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That is it though, I had waited for almost half an hour for the short stack do get out and the blinds were going to catch up soon. The big stack was playing big stack poker and going all in every hand just about. I normally wouldn't call with that but I wasn't going to give him my blind every time. I do agree, it isn't a great play, but is KQ an all-in hand either? Even if you can't be busted out? I am going to look in my HH and see if I can find some of those hands to post. He was playing wild and very unpredictable sometimes.

JimboJim

JimboJim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would of either called his All-In before that or waited for a monster. You still had a little time to wait. You know he had weak hands most of the bets. If I would of gotten A-10 sooted or up I would of probably called.

But I also like to gamble against big stacks...they really get them mad when you chop them down. It's more about getting to them for me at that point. Maybe I'm the donk :(

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LesDoodis said:
I do agree, it isn't a great play, but is KQ an all-in hand either? Even if you can't be busted out? I am going to look in my HH and see if I can find some of those hands to post. He was playing wild and very unpredictable sometimes.

Chip leader on the bubble with those stacks and blinds I push hands far worse than KQ. Seems like he was utilising effective bigstack bubble strategy to me.