• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I won $1.19 at our forum freeroll. Combined with the money I already had on Fulltilt it came to a grand total of $1.79. This is not enough to get into a ring game so I decided to play a $1.25 SnG. The following is the 1st hand of the SnG.

full tilt poker Game #4223778336: $1 + $0.25 Sit & Go (Turbo) (32052187), Table 1 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:57:02 ET - 2007/11/18
countrycatmama posts the small blind of 15
skelly1234 posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Alon Ipser [As Qd]
MaGinley calls 30
driage has 15 seconds left to act
driage folds
rwseward1 folds
Alon Ipser raises to 135
sydney_15 folds
kingman62 raises to 1,500, and is all in
Bmore77 folds
countrycatmama folds
skelly1234 folds
MaGinley folds
Alon Ipser ?????????

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold , you don't want a coinflip . this is a one shot deal . play tight and wait for good made hands .you have to cash or else . jmo :)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First-hand shoves aren't that common at this level in my experience, but they don't always mean high pockets either.

You'd probably be coinflipping or 60/40 if you called - usually the ones making this play show down KQ or A-rag.

Nothing wrong with folding and waiting for a better spot, though it is a turbo and an early double up would be nice.​

CubanaD64

CubanaD64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say fold merely because it's WAY too much of a risk to go all in since it's basically your BR at stake. Also you have no reads on this player whatsoever, so his range is ENORMOUS. On a different note, calling wouldn't be TOO bad on the premises that Full Tilt low stakes players tend to play EXTREMELY loose aggressive and he could be restealing with a huge range of hands that you may have dominated.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On a different note, calling wouldn't be TOO bad on the premises that Full Tilt low stakes players tend to play EXTREMELY loose aggressive and he could be restealing with a huge range of hands that you may have dominated.

That's basically my argument - while it's possible that this is a big pair, I doubt it. Even players thick enough to shove blind on the first hand would recognise that there's ways to get better value out of AA or KK.

I think quite often you see any two paint or ace-rag here. Problem is you're still effectively coin flipping - I'd just be surprised if you were in worse shape than that here.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wait for a better situation -- too early

Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't realize my HH for Fulltilt on saved for 3 days, now changed, so I don't have the actual HH to show the results of the hand but I can just tell you. My thinking on this was just about exactly as Oz said. I figure kingman for A rag or any PP and I like the idea of doubling up early in a turbo so I called. Kingman flips over JJ and it is a race. The flop gives me my Queen but also his 3rd Jack and I'm out. Anyways, 4 hours of freeroll tourney play to earn enough for 1 hand. Should have earned more for a ring game :rolleyes:

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you do realize you got 50 BBs in the middle with AQo, right?

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold! The only hands you are ahead of are AJ-, and Qx. The best you can hope for is 50/50. Why spend hours to win an initial BR in the Freeroll and then donk it off in one hand on a coin flip?

Also, why raise so much pre-flop? 3BB is a standard PF raise for tournaments.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there's a limper in before him, cheetah. the initial raise is fine

grndizzle

grndizzle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have folded, it's too early in the sng to go all in with AQ offsuit. Wait until your shortstacked to go all-in with AQ.

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold would be the right thing, I would call though. Good chance he has small pockets / something less.

At these limits it's more "go big or go home" situation. You will see totally random all-ins every where and you're gonna have to risk it some times, even pocket AA doesn't mean you will win the hand....

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And now I know why I haven't seen A.I. playing lately.........

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally wouldn't have made the call, it was the first hand, so you really didn't need to take the shot at this point in the sitngo, though the cards were eh, ok, you definitely had time to pick up a few hands.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a Felony Poker Player, if you call this here, you should be violated and returned to Poker Prison, which is of course the zero bankroll.......<rimshot>

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are $0.10 tournaments that fit closer to BRM for a couple of dollars.

E

ellisman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you needed to fold...too early and the hand isn't good enough. I would try and earn more money from freerolls first so that you dont waste 3 hrs on a freeroll to only play one hand in a real money SnG. you're pretty much gambling esp since its turbo(they are really hard to win and need a ton of luck). Don't test your fate with a turbo tournament with most of your BR on the line. =)

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutley fold, if you want to win this game you dont want to start off by shoving your stack in blind.

Just play tightish for the first few hands or levels, try to see who the mad donkeys are (who know they could have already knocked themselves out in a couple of hands) and play the best cards in the best position.

AQ good hand to raise with - not so safe to call with :)

*btw on FullTilt you have the option of have your HH saved to your hard drive.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there's a limper in before him, cheetah. the initial raise is fine

Sorry, didn't notice.

Just play tightish for the first few hands or levels, try to see who the mad donkeys are (who know they could have already knocked themselves out in a couple of hands) and play the best cards in the best position.

Yes, when you have no way to satisfy BR requirements, you must be extremely tight. The goal would be the maximize the chance of winning ANYTHING, not maximazing return. Here you would like to get in the money as it boosts your BR significantly.

I think an argument can be made to NOT make the original raise with AQ here, especially since there is a limper in front. Just overcalling the limper and trying to hit on the flop is a tight-passive approach that increases the chance to get in the money. If there are several wild players, they might knock each other out and all you would need is a few good hands to bubble in the money.

In this case, if you just overcall the limper, and if you get raised all-in, you can fold on the theory that you are a coin flip if you call. If you get raised a little, say 3-4BB, then it is tricky as you are OOP. But at least you will only loose about 10% of your stack if you don't connect with the flop.

Also, if you develop a rock image, when you enter in a pot you will get a lot of respect and opponents will mostly fold. This is good for you as it reduces the chance to play for all your chips (i.e. your entire BR).

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also, if you develop a rock image, when you enter in a pot you will get a lot of respect and opponents will mostly fold. This is good for you as it reduces the chance to play for all your chips (i.e. your entire BR).

Thing is though, this is a one dollar turbo - I've spent a bit of time in these lately, and I can tell you that 90% of the time your "rock image" will go unnoticed.

The play isn't much different to a freeroll for the most part, and plenty of hands worse than AQ are shoving first hand. I'm actually surprised it villain had a hand as good as JJ.

M

magoo454

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Look these lower limit ternaments you almost have to play tight until the nuckle heads donk off all there chips. Its a matter of loosening up at the right moment. If it had been me I would of folded. coin flip is not worth the B/R;) .

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call. You are without a doubt ahead of a first hand shover's range in a $1 turbo, very possibly dominating him. You have to gambool here.

Sorry it's your entire bankroll (1st mistake), but don't play scared money and make a second mistake by folding. Just to be clear, if this wasn't a $1 turbo on the first hand, AQ is usually a fairly standard fold to an all in for 50bbs.

T

the4th20

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would of folded lots of beginners try to look like a donk on the 1st hand thinking you will call with a semi decent hand Acerag ect. He probably had pocket something anyway and you would of been a slight underdog to win plus noone like to go allin for there entire br in first hand especially if your playing only fr's to earn one.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I fold this even in a $1 Turbo donkfest.

R

ruffcut68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold. Play super TAG if you need to get in the money.