AKs with 30+ BB

D

dimples

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So I just busted out at the start of the final day of a tournament. I started the day off with 31 BB and an average-ish stack compared to the rest of the field. 60 min blind levels with antes. The chip leader was seated in the 6 hole at my table, I in the 8 seat, and the rest of the seats had small to average stacks. I picked up one pot re-stealing when the chip leader min raised my BB and I 3 bet to 3x the initial raise with AQo. I take down pot. When the button comes to me two hands later, five players limped into the pot in front of me including the chip leader. I wake up with AKs and I jam my whole stack in. The chip leader asks for a count and calls with Js. I guess my question is, since at the time I had 33ish BB, should I have raised to around 8 BB and evaluated the situation if I was 3-bet? And if I get a flat call from the large stack, if I miss I can fold to a bet ? 30 BB is a weird stack to play… just wondering what some others would do in this spot?

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In my experience (which isn't that extensive) the 30BB jam sometimes makes your hand look exactly like what it was, because you're saying that you don't really want to see a flop.

I think you could make a stronger case for raising here, since you had the button, but IMO this is very read-dependent; do you think you can thin the field down to one other player pre-flop? I think that it's also possible to limp in as well in this case because you have position and if you don't hit the flop it's easy to let it go.

F

felting

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Because it's suited your hand does play better multiway. Being on the button opens your range which is why you got called by JJ. So just call or raise 3-5BB's then re-evaluate on the flop.