AK suited, what to bet?

MDTed

MDTed

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay. I got yelled at last night for my play on this hand but I think it was because I won the hand that the other person was upset.

Here's the scoop

NL Tournament, starting chips 1500.
Blinds are 40/80
My chips are 600

I get dealt AK suited in UTG2.

What would you do?

I went all in. Here's my reasoning. If I did a 3x BB I'm betting 240, I'm pretty certain that no matter what the flop is I'm going all in. If an ace is on the board I'm probably not getting called. Besides, it's getting to the point where I need a big score, doubling up would be good. Player to my left called, blinds folded.

In this example the player to my left called me with KK, an ace appeared on the flop and he was beat.

So, how bad did I play it? Or did I play it correctly?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With such a low "M" you have no choice but to go all-in.
You made a standard play with a great hand and do not let anybody else tell you different.

U

UFCcantstopme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes

With your chip stack at only 600, i would say an all-in is definately an option. For me, I would bet 300 and try to get a few callers because no matter what, if its against 1-4 players, if an A or K does not hit the flop you will most likely be behind. So having more callers will help your stack if the A or K hits the flop, you will be ahead about 85% of the time. Allin is another option though, so you played it fine.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With your chip stack at only 600, i would say an all-in is definately an option. For me, I would bet 300 and try to get a few callers because no matter what, if its against 1-4 players, if an A or K does not hit the flop you will most likely be behind. So having more callers will help your stack if the A or K hits the flop, you will be ahead about 85% of the time. Allin is another option though, so you played it fine.
This is all wrong except for the last bit on moving all-in.
AA alone has a hard enough time holing up against multiple callers let alone AK suited.
The all-in is the only choice here because he is so short stacked and wants to chase all the weaker hands out of the pot,.
If the above is your method of play, then I can only guess that you have had not made it far in too many tourneys, not that I'm a pro ar anything like that, but I have learned through this forum that when short-stacked you push with premium hands.

B

Brann6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rule of thumb: If a pre-flop raise will commit a third of your stack just go all-in with ANYTHING if you're going to play your hand. Yes, that means 76s, too, for example. With just 600 chips UTG2 you can't limp, so if it's a hand you want to play at least get some fold equity.

P

pkrook

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting...

perspectives on how to play AK, for me ... aw I shouldnt say...
GL at the tables. Cheers.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
According to Harrington, your 'M' was 5. This is so close to his dead zone that your only sane play is the shove. That you had such nice cards is great, and that you found a playback is even better. Much of the time you will take the blinds uncontested here. In which case you have only slightly improved your situation and are still in the red zone, and looking to do it again, very soon.

As for the 'other person' being upset. I doubt if he was upset with you, rather he was railing at the Poker Gods.

ABorges

ABorges

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a no brainer shove there... seriously, I'd shove there even if I had 1000 chips, you don't have nearly enough to play a flop at this time. Push and hope you get called with that premium hand. Don't be bothered by what people at your table say about your plays, you don't have to satisfy anyone...