AK FIRST HAND

J

Joed1580

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u get AK first hand blinds 10-20 guy shoves pre 3k stack call or fold ?

YOSEF19888

YOSEF19888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait for the flop and then plan moves

J

Joed1580

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all in yosef u can't plan the flop

regd87

regd87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depending on the tournament I would probably call/shove.

limpnfold88

limpnfold88

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
u get AK first hand blinds 10-20 guy shoves pre 3k stack call or fold ?

Well this question is basically a moot point since it would literally never happen (except for in a micro re-entry maybe), but I would probably call if it was a small stakes tourney, esp a re-entry. Why would anyone just open jam 150 bbs with a hand that has AK crushed. You're gonna have plenty of equity against every hand in the deck except aces. Usually when this happens it's just someone spazzing out with AT-AQ or a pair.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
insta call. unless other players previously calls the shove or if its the sunday million or a high buy in tournament in which you might consider folding. otherwise i think its an insta call.

J

Joed1580

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was the big 11 he ended up having AK also but I folded

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
It was the big 11 he ended up having AK also but I folded

I think it's bad play. I mean he is prolly tilting from his previous tournaments and shoving with any 2 cards. It's -ev move to fold. I doubt someone shoves AA, KK pre-flop with no action just like that.

shomy21

shomy21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold there especially on that freezout tournament. Why to risk all chips on that blind with just AK.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need to determine how much important this tournament. If this freeroll: all - in without hesitation. If the Gtd tournament, you should go all - only the first, and call very carefully!

M

MaxDamage

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold!
Why would u risk your entire stack on the first hand with only ace high?
Even if he has a small pair he's still favorite to win the hand. it is not worth it!
You'll have plenty of more options later in the tournament to win bigger pots, with less risk, and even with a worse starting hand!

giraug

giraug

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1st hand... just fold.

Yesterday I received KK on 1st hand... someone bet 300. I called.
K on flop, I had trips!!

Other player went all-in...
Me KK
He had QJ
Flop K, 7, 4

I called.
turn and river.... 9 and T

S

SenorMath

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@Giraug, that was definitely wellplayed by the other player, u should have folded. Nah, just kidding, unlucky bro

@Joed1580.
I suppose this is either a freeroll or a <15€ buy in tournament. If your bankroll is big enough, like 50 buy ins for this tournament, than u should definitely call. Being a big stack this early in the tournament gives you an edge since playing speculative hands becomes +ev. Therefore you will have plenty of room to increase your stack even more. Furthermore, when this players shoves so many big blinds in the first hand it is almost always a fish and he might be doing this with any two cards, I have seen people doing this with 48o. Therefore you will dominate a lot of his hands and you will be 60/40 a lot of the other times. The single times he shows up with a good hand, you can't be blamed, just a cooler.

One other thing to consider is how strong the table is and whether you think you will get such a good oppurtunity again. As well as if you think you can outplay the table and get your chips another way, than you might just fold this one and go for some less variance

Z

zcorrell0326

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@Giraug that seems to be a recurring theme, almost like they know it's coming! I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but I just really get in my own head on stuff like that.

@Joed1580 Definitely fold, I would just then tilt and go after that guy the rest of the time and end up losing my cool, so maybe don't listen to me.

limpnfold88

limpnfold88

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
We need to determine how much important this tournament. If this freeroll: all - in without hesitation. If the Gtd tournament, you should go all - only the first, and call very carefully!

This is a common misconception that the stakes should influence how you play. Your decisions should always be based on ev and equity, no matter what the buy in is. Your play should be the same.

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a common misconception that the stakes should influence how you play. Your decisions should always be based on ev and equity, no matter what the buy in is. Your play should be the same.

Your play should be the same but the size and buyin of the tournament should have an effect on your decision making due to the different types of players you find at each level. In a freeroll or micro tournament I would give an unknown opponent a much larger open shoving for 150bb range than in a higher buyin event.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big 11, I would surely fold. I would wait for another spot to call any shove.

Its still early and Im not desperate for coinflips.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is truly nothing special, yes it's the best drawing hand but that is it. It baffles me to see players 5 bet shove with AK vs 2 or more players all in before them.

I believe the value of an AK at the start of the tournament to be quite low but as the tournament progresses and the blinds get higher the value of the hand rises

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look at it this way.....as it is the first hand your Tournament equity is basically $10.
This isn't completely true because of differences in skill, but still, let's keep it at $10.

If your AK is suited:

you're about 75/25 against dominated hands (Kx and Ax)
you're about 67/33 against ATC

If you call and lose your equity will be 0.
If you call and win your equity will be.....?????.....by far not enough to justify a call with AK.

Besides , you have zero,nada,nothing reads.....clear fold.....

About the question why someone would push AA or KK....well, don't ask that question because it's not about the why.
It should be....are there people shoving AA or KK there ?
The answer is....yes there are...plenty of them, so you can't rule out these hands.

Last edited:
horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freeroll easy call, when buy-ins easy fold.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I complete agree with horizon, if it's a freeroll I'm probably calling, if I paid cash money, easy fold.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Big 11... I fold.
Quite often I have open shoved with AA in the first orbit as there is nearly always someone willing to gamble early on.

J

johnsonrod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait for the flop....just fold...... nooooooooooooooooo! think of time management, how often do you go deep? can you afford to play t@g for 3hrs? and loose with the better hand? stop wasting your time and money on long term losing strategys. the only way to place ITM is to play to win.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands