AJ off UTG+1 early in FTP $100 Freeroll

S

spals

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I seem to find myself in this position quite a few times, and was wondering how I should play it to maximize my profits. I had no read on any player since it is too early in the freeroll to know. Should I have checked the flop, like I did , even though I 'knew' he would bet it???

full tilt poker Game #4299560921: $100 Freeroll (32530969), Table 39 - 25/50 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:01:38 ET - 2007/11/26
Seat 1: Mike0719 (2,440)
Seat 2: RJspecial (1,395), is sitting out
Seat 3: spals (3,500)
Seat 4: tourneyman1724 (530)
Seat 5: frankieboy187 (3,430)
Seat 6: crushyousohard (2,805)
Seat 7: bill4204 (1,455), is sitting out
Seat 8: epellet (1,930)
Seat 9: Moneyloader (4,140)
Mike0719 posts the small blind of 25
RJspecial posts the big blind of 50
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to spals [Jd Ac]
spals raises to 100
tourneyman1724 folds
frankieboy187 raises to 150
crushyousohard folds
bill4204 folds
epellet folds
Moneyloader folds
Mike0719 folds
RJspecial folds
spals calls 50
*** FLOP *** [6h 7d Th]
spals checks
frankieboy187 bets 250
spals folds
Uncalled bet of 250 returned to frankieboy187
frankieboy187 mucks
frankieboy187 wins the pot (375)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 375 | Rake 0
Board: [6h 7d Th]
Seat 1: Mike0719 (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 2: RJspecial (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 3: spals folded on the Flop
Seat 4: tourneyman1724 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: frankieboy187 collected (375), mucked
Seat 6: crushyousohard didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: bill4204 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: epellet didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: Moneyloader (button) didn't bet (folded)

willie beaman

willie beaman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With the loose play going on at those freerolls, I suggest raising to 200 or 250 in this spot. If anyone calls, proceed with aggression. However, if you're reraised, go off your instincts and any reads that you may have picked up and make the best decision.

Last edited:
S

spals

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With the loose play going on at those freerolls, I suggest raising to 200 or 250 in this spot. If anyone calls, proceed with aggression. However, if you're reraised, go off your instincts and any reads that you may have picked up and make the best decision.

The reason I min raised is because I was in early position, and the way I play it, people will call with a decent to good hand and reraise with a strong hand. I also don't put too much at risk, especially with all the tards left.

I'll try your way nest time and see how it works.

Last edited:
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just fold AJ in early position at a full table.

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just fold AJ in early position at a full table.

This early I suppose I could fold it.You have a large M right now and min. raising does nothing but create a large multiway pot.The best thing you could hope for on the flop is TPTK or aces up,both are unlikely to hit though.

Later on when your M falls to 10-20,I would raise aggressively.Min raise does nothing but sweeten the pot.Now anyone will call with suited connectors,small to mid PP's,and probably any 2 sooooted.This makes it highly unlikely to have a chance post flop.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The reason I min raised is because I was in early position, and the way I play it, people will call with a decent to good hand and reraise with a strong hand.

The problem with a min-raise is that you won't actually be getting the result you're looking for. People won't just call with a decent-to-good hand: they'll call with marginal hands and maybe even garbage because you've priced them in. They should be able to reraise you with much lesser hands too.

To get the result you're after, raise 3-4BB (I'm inclined to go a little higher since you're in early position, if you choose to play this hand here). That way you will be pricing the marginal and garbage hands out and you can have more confidence that if you get re-raised you really are up against a strong hand.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With no reads, and bad position the prevailing fold it up front wisdom is valid. Personally, I would have limped with this early, or 4x'd it right up front. In this case the min raise was actually the worst possible move, as it screams 'draw'. I am not anti min raise for the most part but here it was wrong.

I would tend to not raise standard or more here because it is too early and there is more jeopardy than reward at risk here. Once the blinds hit the 50/100 area, and the play has calmed, then these 'floating steals' can be worthwhile. But you need to be able to fold under almost any resistance with AJ. There are times for AJ but this wasn't one to get pushy with. I like that you folded on the flop. Shows wisdom. Next advancement is to mainly drop AJ from your early position hand chart.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its just such a marginal hand at a full table there is no real reason to play it

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its just such a marginal hand at a full table there is no real reason to play it

Especially early in a freeroll. I think you almost have to hit 2 pair here or better to play this hand with any confidence that you are ahead.

beechleaf

beechleaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the free rolls they will call any min raise or even a all in with any two cards too see flops in hopes they hit big ffirst hour is tough