A-rag in BB late in tourney

VerbalKint

VerbalKint

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
OK here`s all the info....it`s late in a MTT, 57 entered, only two tables left, blinds at 1,000/2,000, my stack is slightly over 21,000 after my blind is on the table and I`m in the BB. My table image is tight but there`s 3-4 new people that were recently moved to my table. There are 3 limpers in the pot, including the SB and the pushy chip leader (around 55,000) in middle position, I look down to see A-5 o/s. I check because I`m not thrilled about ace-rag in this position. The flop comes down A K 9 with a diamond flush draw. I have no diamonds. The SB checks, think for a few seconds and decide to check, ( ???) hoping to go over top of someone trying to represent the ace. Sure enough the pushy chip leader tosses out 10,000 into an 8,000 pot. All others fold and I`m sure this is an overbet to take this pot. She tried this earlier in the tourney and got lucky on the river and hit a middle set. I think she has a piece of this flop but no ace so I go over the top, all-in for 11,000 more. She counts out the chips and tanks for a minute or two, then calls with K J o/s!!!! Sure enough the turn card is a K and I`m history.:mad: Did I play this wrong? I don`t feel a pre-flop raise is right because even though I`m near the 10x BB limit, I hate the position and my kicker is very weak. Should I have led out with a bet on the flop? I feel my read of her was dead on. Is check-raising a bad idea when it probably means it will be an all-in? Should I have pushed on the flop or even pre-flop? Or was it just one of those times where I`m the statue instead of the pidgeon??? All comments are very much appreciated. Thank You

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please don't post results.

Preflop, I probably shove here unless I have a read that one of the limpers likes to limp with big hands.

sharkyo01

sharkyo01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did the right thing ... You just got a bit unlucky!!!

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless you know people limp with good hands, I think you shove preflop. Another caveat is if someone very tight limps preflop because they may be limping with like 55-77. A rag is a terrible hand to play out of position so I would just take advantage of the situation while you are probably ahead. You have decent fold equity and if you check this, you are throwing it away almost 85% of the time.

As played, if you know someone is going to bet out on the flop with any piece of the board, your check raise is just fine.

VerbalKint

VerbalKint

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I apologize about the "posting results" slip up. MikeT is quoted in another thread as saying, "Results make no difference. What matters is his decision and if the correct line was taken" or something to that effect. What a great piece of wisdom, I am way too results oriented. Thanks for the input, its easy to second guess when you feel the sting of a hand that knocks you out of a tourney. You can learn a lot on this site.