A low kick, 2nd early stages $11 SnG

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
EDIT: I seem to always have typos in the titles, it is the 1st stage of blinds in the SnG. A few hands have been played.

pokerstars Game #9189751663: Tournament #46696769, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2007/03/31 - 22:40:40 (ET)
Table '46696769 3' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: Paul469 (1460 in chips)
Seat 2: chewydoug (1480 in chips)
Seat 3: MU4EVER (1470 in chips)
Seat 4: balkarr (1040 in chips)
Seat 5: LiquorBox (1580 in chips)
Seat 6: hott_estelle (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: devils91 (1400 in chips)
Seat 9: reggy21 (3570 in chips)
LiquorBox: posts small blind 10
hott_estelle: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to hott_estelle [5h As]
devils91: folds
reggy21: calls 20
Paul469: calls 20
chewydoug: calls 20
MU4EVER: folds
balkarr: folds
LiquorBox: calls 10
hott_estelle: checks
*** FLOP *** [8d 4c Ac]
LiquorBox: bets 60
hott_estelle: calls 60
reggy21: folds
Paul469: folds
chewydoug: folds
*** TURN *** [8d 4c Ac] [9s]
LiquorBox: bets 220
hott_estelle: ??

I put him on possibly the flush draw on the flop, but on the turn after that bet I'm not too sure. He's been in almost every hand up to this point in the SnG and has bet out like this on a couple occasions. What do you do? Risk it, and think he is bluffing outright, smooth call, is low Ace good here, or just fold and live another day? Call, raise, or fold??

Last edited:
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I purposely avoid A-little in the early stages for just this reason.

With no reads, he could have a SB special, bigger ace, smaller ace, turned a two pair, flush draw + pair - really anything. I may be giving up a few potential pots in the early stages by folding these types of hands (I fold flop here), but I avoid a lot of sticky situations like these by doing so.

As played, I fold and wait for one of the million better opportunities you should get later on.

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to avoid Ax-low too, but I checked BB here. Didn't have a choice.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if he's been aggressive in every hand thus far then calling and assessing on the river isnt too bad. but remember the saying 'dont go broke in an unraised pot'

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, that was the question, do I risk it here as I was pretty comfortable I had the best hand on the flop, even though I know I might get busted??

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold the turn, and probably fold the flop as well. I can't see him betting into 4 players with anything you beat.

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold the turn, and probably fold the flop as well. I can't see him betting into 4 players with anything you beat.

Possibly, but like I said in the first post, he did this a couple hands in a row, and showed bluffs. This is the only reason why I would contemplate a call in this situation.

jayneseo

jayneseo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm suprised you didn't raise the flop to see where you stand. At this point in a SnG I'd fold it though. Still early enough to let it go. People this aggressive early in SnG's won't be around too long, why risk your chips with such a bad kicker.

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jay would you have liked a min-raise or what type of raise were you looking for on the flop? Can you explain please? Did you want to raise for information?

jayneseo

jayneseo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have raised him about 200. If he's bluffing, I'd think he'd let it go. If not then you know where you're at, or at least have an idea. Just calling the 60 only puts more money in a pot where you don't know where you stand. If he reraises you and then shows a bluff, you know how to get him next time.

Thats just me though and I've been known to play crazy :D

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you're describing a LAG player. why shut him down by raising when you're likely ahead of most of his holdings?

jayneseo

jayneseo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's the other people at the table know you aren't one to be F***ed with. Also, even donks pick up hands once in a while. The whole showing bluffs a few times makes me think he may have tightened up a bit as well. Of course I've been known to play crazy!

(Weeeeeeeeeeee 1 more post til 500)

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The two hands he showed the bluffs at were the previous two hands I believe, so if he tightened up, he tightened up real quick.

jayneseo

jayneseo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do people tend to bluff three hands in a row at the $11 level of SnG's? I guess there are donks at all levels.

I still think he has something on the flop and w/o the flop raise you allow him to possibly catch two pair at least, for a price he got to set.

GReaper

GReaper

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play aggressively, but especially in the early stages of an SnG, I've been known to show some bluffs and then play a good hand the same way to make those around me confused and think I am bluffing again. Given that this was the 3rd time in a row who knows. I probably fold this hand b/c it's early and you really have no support here -- if 3 spades were on the board, maybe you stick around and hope to catch a nut flush on the river. But this early, I figure LiquorBox on A 10 off or something similar. Not worth going for it here IMHO