A-10os in MP

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you call this?, and if so, why?

pokerstars Game #10961461994: Tournament #54723110, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2007/07/15 - 22:18:28 (ET)
Table '54723110 8' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: A Town Dave (7623 in chips)
Seat 2: Xigol (8590 in chips)
Seat 3: mozita (8348 in chips)
Seat 4: NickyNiceGuy (2160 in chips)
Seat 5: S.U.K.6 (5822 in chips)
Seat 6: Teddy Rock (1025 in chips)
Seat 7: Orion469 (7310 in chips)
Seat 9: King_Cthulhu (868 in chips)
A Town Dave: posts small blind 75
Xigol: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Orion469 [Ac Ts]
mozita: folds
NickyNiceGuy: folds
S.U.K.6: folds
Teddy Rock: raises 300 to 450
Orion469: ???

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well his open raise is standard, considering his short stack he's willing to go broke with his hand. Either re-raise him all in or fold. I would probably fold, but putting him all in stands a chance to knock him out (as long as you're not dominated, chances are though, you are), though you never know, he could be on a bad blind steal.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd fold simply because I hate A10o.

Seriously, there is always something fishy about SS raising the minimum or standard when they should be in push all in or fold mode. More likely than not you're beat and if it at best its a race. You can afford to call if you feel you could be in the lead, but I'd rather fold and wait for a better hand. Not to mention you have button and blinds to act behind you.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really had thought about it for awhile, this is what I was thinking, "Why is he betting that amount? I see that he is SS and if he had a strong hand, wouldn't he go all-in right there?. I know why the odd bet being SS, if he loses he'll still have chips to play with, so if I re-raise here he'll fold"
I was wrong, here's how it played out, you were right Philthy, but I had sucked out:eek:

Orion469: raises 300 to 750
kmj75 is connected
King_Cthulhu: folds
A Town Dave: folds
Xigol: folds
Teddy Rock: raises 275 to 1025 and is all-in
Orion469: calls 275
*** FLOP *** [7d 7h 6s]
*** TURN *** [7d 7h 6s] [Td]
*** RIVER *** [7d 7h 6s Td] 8♥
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Teddy Rock: shows [As Qd] (a pair of Sevens)
Orion469: shows [Ac Ts] (two pair, Tens and Sevens)
Orion469 collected 2275 from pot

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice.
I forgot that raise is an option in this situation, also. Wouldnt it have been better to raise him/her enough to put them all in? There is a chance they'd fold PF. And if they push all in, there is no way you're folding it with that much in, so why not beat them to the punch and make them commit it all?

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any opponent who's raising that amount and folding to a reraise is mindblowingly terrible. You have like <1% fold equity here. He committed himself. If anything, this is usually stronger than an all-in because even though he's committed to the pot, he's making the amount to call look more enticing

Afterlife000

Afterlife000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally dont even call the blinds with A 10 unless it is suited, just because i hate the hand and i always seem to be dominated because people limp in with A J or A Q. But if he was shortstacked and only made a small raise instead of going all in, it seems like he might have a high pair like A A or K K and just wants to bring people into the pot so he can win more. So i would have folded it if i were you.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see all the valid advice and agree with it and I simply got lucky.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any opponent who's raising that amount and folding to a reraise is mindblowingly terrible. You have like <1% fold equity here. He committed himself. If anything, this is usually stronger than an all-in because even though he's committed to the pot, he's making the amount to call look more enticing

Yep. You see min-raises in that situation for the same reason; just to get action from those who don't pay attention to the fact he's pot committed, and might fold if he pushed.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off this is a fold preflop. What hands does he make this bet with? Most likely either a big ace (better than A-10) or a pair most likely 10-10 or better. In both cases you are dominated. There is a chance it's a small pair less than 10-10 but this is less likely than other holdings and even if he does have a small pair it is still a favorate over A-10. So again, outside of a stone cold bluff (which really isn't likely with his current M and the bet size) what are you ahead of?

The only play that could be made here is call and shove the flop no matter what hits although that is unlikely to work either. First off, villan will act first so he will likely push the flop considering his stack and second he is unlikley to fold with any reasonable hand anyway considering he is pretty much pot committed.

So this is a fold. Yes you got lucky but of course that is being results oriented.