$777 NLHE MTT: Horrible Embarassing Hand, defend my blind then bluff catch?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is day 3 of the wsop lucky 777 event. The following hand is probably the worst hand of poker I've played in a long, long time.

Up until this point my image is very tight. I've played 1 hand in about an hour.

Blinds are still 2k/6k/12k, and I is my BB and I have about 285,000.

It folds to the Button who just got moved here and has about 450,000. He min raises to 25,000. SB folds and I defend my BB with :10h4: :9c4:

Pot contains 74,000. Flop comes :ad4: :qd4: :9s4: I check as a measure of pot control and to induce bluffs. He Cbets half the pot and I call.

Pot contains 148,000. Turn is :7s4: I check, he checks.

Pot is still 148,000. River is the :kc4:

Both flush draws miss. I don’t have anything better than a bluff catcher, but I feel pretty confident that if I check he will bet 100% of his range. Some of his range will beat me, and some of his range I will beat. He bets out 100k which is like 2/3 the pot. I take a read and I feel pretty confident that this bet is meant to make me lay my hand down.

what's my best move on the river? fold, flat or jam?

also....feel free to pick apart the rest of the hand. I know it's awful. I need to hear it.

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was the third flop card? Would it be better to bet/fold the river rather than check/call? This way you can make the river bet a lot smaller, say 60k.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pre looks good, diamond on the flop by the sounds of it if the flop is QJ9, i probably lead

AJ9 i x/f, J97 or below i x/c

on the river i think i fold, so few combos we beat paly like this

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold, fold fold. I would have folded the flop bet.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In game I was like 90% sure he was bluffing on the river. So I reluctantly called and I was technically correct, he was bluffing a missed spade flush draw. Unfortunately he was bluffing with the best hand as he had :qs4: :5s4:

Doh! That was such an embarrassing hand to have to muck.

Here's my thinking:

Preflop: flatting is fine. 3bet jamming might even be fine, and if I had a slightly smaller stack would probably be ideal. But I'm getting like 4.7:1 on a flat with an ok hand so...I flatted.

Flop: I've hit the flop. I don't think it's profitable to defend your blinds then simply check fold when you hit bottom pair. I also don't see any value in leading here with bottom pair as I only get called by better hands, or draws. Plus he can raise my donk bet pretty wide and get me to lay down. So I think check calling is ok...but check raising might be better.

Turn: as played once I check call the flop; perhaps I should lead the turn and then give up on the hand if I don't improve?

River: as played; my hand looks really weak and he can bet nearly 100% of his range profitably. My problem is even though I have a bluff catcher it's really weak. I should probably just fold river (since I basically gave up the pot on the turn). If he bet a little smaller on the river I could check raise bluff jam...but that seems overly risky.

Sigh...playing OOP just sucks!

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In game I was like 90% sure he was bluffing on the river. So I reluctantly called and I was technically correct, he was bluffing a missed spade flush draw. Unfortunately he was bluffing with the best hand as he had :qs4: :5s4:

Doh! That was such an embarrassing hand to have to muck.

Here's my thinking:

Preflop: flatting is fine. 3bet jamming might even be fine, and if I had a slightly smaller stack would probably be ideal. But I'm getting like 4.7:1 on a flat with an ok hand so...I flatted.

Flop: I've hit the flop. I don't think it's profitable to defend your blinds then simply check fold when you hit bottom pair. I also don't see any value in leading here with bottom pair as I only get called by better hands, or draws. Plus he can raise my donk bet pretty wide and get me to lay down. So I think check calling is ok...but check raising might be better.

Turn: as played once I check call the flop; perhaps I should lead the turn and then give up on the hand if I don't improve?

River: as played; my hand looks really weak and he can bet nearly 100% of his range profitably. My problem is even though I have a bluff catcher it's really weak. I should probably just fold river (since I basically gave up the pot on the turn). If he bet a little smaller on the river I could check raise bluff jam...but that seems overly risky.

Sigh...playing OOP just sucks!

Pre I agree completely!

Flop is strongly disagree, its entirely profitable to fold when we flop a hand as weak as this, this board is overwhelmingly stronger for villains range than our, and its a board that will get multiple bets in with, i just fold flop

Turn, hate the idea of leading, we have a non polarised range, nothing good can come from leading here, his bluffs/weak hands fold and his strong hands won't.

River, as played its a fold, you could put in a river raise based on live reads tho, totally cool with that as having no flush draw is really handy and we block the nuts swell

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PRE FLOP: call is fine, :9::10: is ok hand.

FLOP: Fold fold fold and fold. Bottom pair is never ever good enough to call without any other strong draws (no strong flush or straight draws). It is very likely he is min raising with a rag ace or any kind of Q8, Q9, Q10 etc. Or could have KK or JJ and is sucking you in with min raise. The possibilities are endless.

You are only calling because of the price you are getting, and hoping to catch two pair or a strong draw, or very minimum the top pair.

I play a lot of tournament poker and I would ALWAYS fold the flop, just my opinion. You haven't got enough chips to afford to call his bluff, whether he is bluffing or not.

Delvuter

Delvuter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
New person comes in, we have to put him on smaller range because he doesn't know any of your styles. In other words Pre was good, but fold the second we see face cards on the flop. There is value in a check fold when we put villain as tight, which like I said, we do because he just came to the table and doesn't know your style. He prolly was not going to try to bluff you in future hands after that hand.

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would of liked to see a 3 bet pre tbh.

zarrmonster

zarrmonster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably would have folded preflop and I know I would not have called the cbet with only a pair of nines. But that's just me.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You said this. "It folds to the Button who just got moved here"

If you dont have any more reads I'd prolly checkfold this flop 100%.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Defending" your blind is fine with that hand but check calling the flop is just as bad as donk betting it IMO.

I'm folding on that flop and saving my chips for a better situation...(in position)

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
when you watch final tables on tv , the pros are moving massive stacks on the river with really weak hands , and sometimes getting caught . I don't see it happen all that much when I'm on a tourney table . save your stack for your own bets + raises !

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Defending" your blind is fine with that hand but check calling the flop is just as bad as donk betting it IMO.

I'm folding on that flop and saving my chips for a better situation...(in position)

i would argue donk betting this board is much worse than x/c

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is debatable, but we agree to check fold the flop right?

yup see my earlier posts.

donking folds out all the bluffs, weakens our equity and prevents our opponent from splitting his range. dont see any reason to lead what so ever

F

Fase

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would fold on the flop 9 and wait for a better hand

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre,its not even suited,also you got no history on villain.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks for the responses everyone. this is is my D- game...but even improving my D- game a little bit increases my equity a lot.

MrBadAss

MrBadAss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what is the 3rd card on flop? has played and if you say he will bet 100% of the time i think i want him to bet his buffs ofc, but idk what the 3rd card flop is

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what is the 3rd card on flop? has played and if you say he will bet 100% of the time i think i want him to bet his buffs ofc, but idk what the 3rd card flop is

Flop is AQ9

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands