$75 NLHE MTT: Top pair on flop. I shove....

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live MTT. 20 minute levels starting stacks of 10k. No antes.

Blinds are 400/800 at this time & my stack is right around $7k. I am the short stack & have been card dead most of the night. I'm in the BB. A couple limpers behind me. I look down at J4s. I check.

Flop comes brick brick J rainbow. I shove & get an insta-call. He turns over J9s & his hand holds. I'm out.

Was my shove a bad move here? Should I have made a standard continuation size bet or perhaps a pot size bet? I don't think checking would have done me any good as this player tends to be LAG most of the time.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on how agg you think the villain will play the hand. Would he raise a blocking bet? Would he allow a free card on the turn if you check/call?

If villain is so agg as to not make pot control possible then check/fold.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on how agg you think the villain will play the hand. Would he raise a blocking bet? Would he allow a free card on the turn if you check/call?

If villain is so agg as to not make pot control possible then check/fold.
So you say I should have check folded, but what kind of bet am I folding to? Am I folding to any bet or only large bets?

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A couple limpers behind you meaning 2 limpers?

If so then at the pot around 2800 you could bet out half pot (1400)

You have 5600 behind then and now it's a 4200 pot but if you get raised all-in by the villain, depending on your read of your opponent, you can most likely muck the worst hand

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You've got less than 8BB left behind, we'll be down to more like 7BB once we go through the SB as well and this being a live turbo tournament blinds will invariably be going up again some time in the next few hands.

I don't see how we do anything other than shove here... ship it, hope for the best and be happy if everyone folds IMO. If it was just the LAG in the hand and he was the type to take a shot at most pots I might consider check-shoving, but since there's others in the hand as well I wouldn't want to take the risk of it being checked around and giving everyone a chance to improve on us.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I shove-pre, limpers are unlikely to call and wont be that strong. Easy chips.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I shove-pre, limpers are unlikely to call and wont be that strong. Easy chips.

Agree. Obviously it's somewhat dependent on stacks and to a lesser extent reads but I like just shoving pre here.