$75 NLHE MTT: Pocket Jacks early & get shoved on

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early in live MTT. Blinds were 100/200 or 200/400 (I don't recall for sure) 20 minute levels. No antes. Most stacks are still hovering around the 10k mark with a couple short stacks. Full ring.

I am dealt JJ.

A couple limpers & a raiser to $925. Folds to me. I re-raise to $2,500. He shoves on me & has me covered.

I'll leave out the end result for now till I get some feedback as I am curious to see what most folks would do in this spot. :jd4:

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any reads on the player?

W/O any reads to go on, I'd probably fold. Yeah that is a 1/4 of our stack but I can't put villain on enough other hands to make it worthwhile to risk a bust-out.

With reads that do let me put villain on a range that includes 77+, suited Aces, other broadway then I'd have no problem in making the call.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any reads on the player?

W/O any reads to go on, I'd probably fold. Yeah that is a 1/4 of our stack but I can't put villain on enough other hands to make it worthwhile to risk a bust-out.

With reads that do let me put villain on a range that includes 77+, suited Aces, other broadway then I'd have no problem in making the call.
No reads on him outside of that night's little bit of play.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No reads on him outside of that night's little bit of play.

Villain hadn't shown any hands? Was villain in more or less than 1/2 the hands dealt so far? Limp fold at all? Limp/3-bet at all? Did he fold his BB to raises most of the time? Did he always raise from the BTN when unopened or limped to?

Any of these should be able to sway you to how large villains range may be. If villains range is only AQ+, TT+ here then fold but if it's any larger then call

Wins Ties equity
42.39% 0.21% 42.60% ( JJ )
57.19% 0.21% 57.40% ( AQ+,QQ+ )

Wins Ties Equity
51.29% 0.95% 52.24% ( JJ )
46.80% 0.95% 47.76% ( AJ+,99+ )

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He has AA or KK.

Fold.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain hadn't shown any hands? Was villain in more or less than 1/2 the hands dealt so far? Limp fold at all? Limp/3-bet at all? Did he fold his BB to raises most of the time? Did he always raise from the BTN when unopened or limped to?

Any of these should be able to sway you to how large villains range may be. If villains range is only AQ+, TT+ here then fold but if it's any larger then call

Wins Ties Equity
42.39% 0.21% 42.60% ( JJ )
57.19% 0.21% 57.40% ( AQ+,QQ+ )

Wins Ties Equity
51.29% 0.95% 52.24% ( JJ )
46.80% 0.95% 47.76% ( AJ+,99+ )
No shown hands from him yet & he was playing fairly tight. He had limp folded to a raise at least once.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After his shove I took some time to think & try to get a read on him. He gave me what I was looking for. A nice smirk as if to say I dare you to call me. I put him on AA. I fold & do not call his shove. He turns over AA. Would have been nice to not have lost $2,500, but it could have been a lot worse.

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After his shove I took some time to think & try to get a read on him. He gave me what I was looking for. A nice smirk as if to say I dare you to call me. I put him on AA. I fold & do not call his shove. He turns over AA. Would have been nice to not have lost $2,500, but it could have been a lot worse.

The first poker book I read was Phil Gordon's "Little Green Book". There is a chapter in the pre-flop section titled: "4th Raise Means Aces".

Nice lay-down. Did it payoff for you in the end - did you cash?