$7 NLHE STT: QQ post

F

FastandFurious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10.00/t20.00 Blinds - 8 players - View hand 1365275
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: t1500.00 75 BBs - VPIP: 31, PFR: 1, 3B: 0, AF: 1.4, hands: 88
UTG+1: t2380.00 119 BBs - VPIP: 80, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 1.3, Hands: 15
Hero (MP1): t1470.00 73.50 BBs - VPIP: 15, PFR: 12, 3B: 4, AF: 2.9, Hands: 209288
MP2: t1800.00 90 BBs - VPIP: 14, PFR: 11, 3B: 6, AF: 1.9, Hands: 1014
CO: t1470.00 73.50 BBs - VPIP: 16, PFR: 10, 3B: 1, AF: 2.4, Hands: 310
BTN: t1470.00 73.50 BBs - VPIP: 18, PFR: 7, 3B: 7, AF: 0.9, Hands: 160
SB: t2290.00 114.50 BBs - VPIP: 37, PFR: 11, 3B: 10, AF: 1.6, Hands: 100
BB: t1120.00 56 BBs - VPIP: 53, PFR: 15, 3B: 4, AF: 2.8, Hands: 106

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is MP1 with Q :club: Q :spade:
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t20, Hero raises to t100, 5 folds, UTG+1 calls t80

Flop: (t230) 9 :diamond: 3 :spade: 5 :spade: (2 players)
UTG+1 bets t120.00, Hero raises to t350, UTG+1 calls t230

Turn: (t930) K :spade: (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

River: (t930) 3 :diamond: (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

should I've shove turn? or check ok.. then did I miss some value by not making a small bet on the river?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop is pretty huge, we want him to call, not fold, and if someone behind us is calling, they will call 100 as easily as they will call 60-70. Keeping the pot smaller in anticipation of bad flops is always a good idea.

Think you played this well, you can probably go ahead and value bet the river small to like 300ish though if you wanted.

F

FastandFurious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop is pretty huge, we want him to call, not fold, and if someone behind us is calling, they will call 100 as easily as they will call 60-70. Keeping the pot smaller in anticipation of bad flops is always a good idea.

Well, I used to raise 4xbb + 1bb/limper at the $5,50 at the 10/20 & 15/30 level.. Now I still find the $7 and $5,50 actually quite similar and still follow same "rule" at the 10/20 but at 15/30 I go with the 3xbb +1bb/limper..

Anyway, ironically, I actually agree with you.. but as you said.. "to keep the pot smaller in anticipation of bad flops".. the thing is I don't feel that comfortable playing postflop as you do (most likely ;)).. so would that be an reasonable excuse :p to keep it 4xbb + 1bb/limper? Basically, I feel that I would get a bit more into multiway pots postflop putting me in more difficult situations as I find the $7 still to be quite fishy and has more similarities with the now $3,50 than the $15 imo..

Lastly, I post hands to try to level-up my game and try to fix leaks.. So in case the above reason/excuse is "not valid" enough just kindly let me know and I'll start raising just 3xbb + 1bb/limper at 10/20 too as I'm quite sure you're more experienced and much better as well ;).. Fixing minor leaks counts too right ;)

Greetzz

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Whattt? We've got queens, we want to get the money in as quickly as possible. The more cards we see post flop, the more chances we see cards we don't like. I make it 100 here because people will likely call 100 as much as they will 70, and when they miss we get extra value, plus it's easier to get in lots of money post flop.

I like flop, but I bet turn given you've got the spade redraw and it's unlikely for him to ever have a king, plus most players don't donk flush draws. I probably bet 300 on the turn to encourage calls from 9x and induce from random pair+flush draws :)

L

losched16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I'm playing premium pockets (QQ+), strong and fast early here. I have no problem building a big pot preflop with these hands. your raise is important here both as a value bet and to limit the number of opponents, especially with queens. If a K or A comes on board, we can give up to a lot of action.
As the hand is played, I have no problem checking the turn here. Any better, made hand will most likely be betting the river after your check on the turn. Once he checks again, we can put in a 1/3 size value bet, potentially getting calls from worse pairs (9, 5, or some other pocket pair). You could make a small bet on the turn, and check river if called as well. Either way, you are most likely getting one more street of value from this hand.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah think i was drunk/tired/rushed when i posted to F&F threads the other day.

I think i was talking more generally, in this situation raising that big is probably ok, i'd prefer 80 as a happy medium between the two, but it's not really a big deal. I guess what i'm reffering to is if we have a hand like AJ or AK in this spot, we generally don't want to be doing the 4x +1bb for a limper.

Some people get carried away with it, lets say we have two limpers, their standard raise would be 4x +2 BB for the limpers, making it like 120 preflop, which is pretty silly. I think it's silly because i really don't feel like it really isolates anyway, if players are calling, they are usually calling 100 as easily as they would 80. Which is fine here as we have a super strong hand i guess.

Anyways, i generally prefer raising and betting smaller, to get paid off more frequently, rather than raising huge in bigger pots less often and getting paid big amounts less frequently. If that makes any sense at all...

F

FastandFurious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah think i was drunk/tired/rushed when i posted to F&F threads the other day.

I think i was talking more generally, in this situation raising that big is probably ok, i'd prefer 80 as a happy medium between the two, but it's not really a big deal. I guess what i'm reffering to is if we have a hand like AJ or AK in this spot, we generally don't want to be doing the 4x +1bb for a limper.

Some people get carried away with it, lets say we have two limpers, their standard raise would be 4x +2 BB for the limpers, making it like 120 preflop, which is pretty silly. I think it's silly because i really don't feel like it really isolates anyway, if players are calling, they are usually calling 100 as easily as they would 80. Which is fine here as we have a super strong hand i guess.

Anyways, i generally prefer raising and betting smaller, to get paid off more frequently, rather than raising huge in bigger pots less often and getting paid big amounts less frequently. If that makes any sense at all...

I thought about it and I see ur point and I kinda agree with it so I'm gonna try that out ;) ..

JamesDaBear

JamesDaBear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't agree with changing the raise amount based on your holding there. If you're raising in that spot to different amounts with AJ, AK, QQ, etc., you make your play readable. Don't do that. Sometimes I make it something non-standard like 4.5x or a funky number just so the mass multi-tablers can easily and quickly recognize I'm the one who raised and move on to one of their 20 other tables.

You played the hand just fine. I literally wouldn't change anything... except maybe you could have got some value out of the river from a medium pair. A bet there looks like an AQ, AJ type hand that you don't think has showdown value. If you don't think the player is going to c/r bluff you, then you should probably bet something. That's hardly something you're going to do 100% of the time though.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't agree with changing the raise amount based on your holding there. If you're raising in that spot to different amounts with AJ, AK, QQ, etc., you make your play readable. Don't do that. Sometimes I make it something non-standard like 4.5x or a funky number just so the mass multi-tablers can easily and quickly recognize I'm the one who raised and move on to one of their 20 other tables.

How would making it an odd number mean that a multitabler knows it is you who raised? They'll look at your raise size, look at your stats, but often they won't remember you made it an odd size before.

And this is a $7 STT, not the ME :) People aren't clever enough/are playing too many tables to notice subtle changes in raising sizes - obviously if you make it 5x with a monster and minraise with suited connectors always it becomes obvious, but there are tons of reasons you could be making it 4xbb+1 per limper instead of 3xbb+0.5 per limper or something similar (position, number of limpers, number of fish in the hand, etc)