$600 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Betsizing and thoughts - AKs Live Tourney (Day 2)

M

Madsaac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Guys,

A bit of an open question but I would love your thoughts please, especially on bet-sizing. After that flop I was hoping to get his stack.

Live tournament where 90% of people won their $600 tickets in. 400 runners of average ability.

Second day 150 runners left
Blinds 2400/1200 300 ante (40 min)

A few hands before he just attempted a river bluff on me. Possibly a little aggressive.

POT - 5600

Hero
Pos - BB
Stack - 90,000
Hand - AKc

Villain
Pos - CO
Stack 120000

Villain raises to 5600 (POT - 11200) I re-raise to 18000 he flat calls (Pot~43000)

FLOP - Ah 9d 5d

How would you play this? Thanks

Madsaac is online now Report Post

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your reraise is too small.

Anyway, two moves here : have to do a continuition bet here at will or CR him since you observe him to be a blluffer and aggressive.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
re-raise size is fine.

c-bet and look to get your stack in on the flop or on the turn. If he's really aggro you can happily check this flpo since it really isn't that wet, and we only really get paid from AQ AJ anyways.

H

haystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think your re-raise is fine but i would go all in after the flop to be safe take what you can get

M

Madsaac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah thanks guys.
I bet 20000 with the intention of pushing on the turn. I was hoping to keep all his aces in of course, some of his BDFDs in and possibly some mid pockets.
He reraised me and we got it all in. Unfortunately he had AJd and turned two pair

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think your re-raise is fine but i would go all in after the flop to be safe take what you can get
Why would you shove 72K into a 43K pot?

With a hand as strong as top pair, top kicker we want to extract as much money as we can from weaker hands. By shoving all in, we're only getting called by weaker A hands like A10-AQ or better, but giving them a big chance to fold their draw hands and mid-high pair hands.

It's not about playing safe or being scared about getting knocked out. You want to extract as much money from your opponent when you have a big hand and hit the flop strong. By shoving and giving your opponent a chance to fold, you're giving up on a potential 72K. Losing 72K is far worse than winning a 43K pot.

----

For the OP, I like leading out in this flop for a smallish bet, just slightly under 1/2 pot. I saw your reply to the hand and I think the bet sizing is fine. I may have gone a little under to try and get a 3bet by the villian or at least call with hands like JJ or Kd/X hand. Very likely they're going to 3bet with a lot of A hands. It played out exactly as you wanted and you just got unlucky.

I think going for the check/raise wouldn't have been good, even given villain's aggressive style. Since we 3bet preflop, a check raise will gives off the strength of our hand. If they villain bets out, say 25K, they can easily fold to C/R. However, I think a check/call would've worked well in disguising the strength of your hand. You could look to check/call the flop with the intent of check/shoving the turn.

M

Madsaac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why would you shove 72K into a 43K pot?

With a hand as strong as top pair, top kicker we want to extract as much money as we can from weaker hands. By shoving all in, we're only getting called by weaker A hands like A10-AQ or better, but giving them a big chance to fold their draw hands and mid-high pair hands.

It's not about playing safe or being scared about getting knocked out. You want to extract as much money from your opponent when you have a big hand and hit the flop strong. By shoving and giving your opponent a chance to fold, you're giving up on a potential 72K. Losing 72K is far worse than winning a 43K pot.

----

For the OP, I like leading out in this flop for a smallish bet, just slightly under 1/2 pot. I saw your reply to the hand and I think the bet sizing is fine. I may have gone a little under to try and get a 3bet by the villian or at least call with hands like JJ or Kd/X hand. Very likely they're going to 3bet with a lot of A hands. It played out exactly as you wanted and you just got unlucky.

I think going for the check/raise wouldn't have been good, even given villain's aggressive style. Since we 3bet preflop, a check raise will gives off the strength of our hand. If they villain bets out, say 25K, they can easily fold to C/R. However, I think a check/call would've worked well in disguising the strength of your hand. You could look to check/call the flop with the intent of check/shoving the turn.

Thanks mate.

Appreciate the feedback

A

aolguin3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bigger raise would have definitely put him on a bigger decision and probably would have fold. In any case he would call he would have obviously put you on high cards which you did end up pairing on the flop. After that you could have thrown a Cbet and in any case he would call or re raise just shove and put him to a hard decision.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3betting smaller to 14-15k pre.

Flop I'm betting 18k and re-evaluating the turn when we get flatted, if we get jammed on, it will depend on our reads of our opponent.

M

Madsaac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3betting smaller to 14-15k pre.

Flop I'm betting 18k and re-evaluating the turn when we get flatted, if we get jammed on, it will depend on our reads of our opponent.

I assume the smaller 3bet is in case we miss and its not an inflated pot?
When you do miss, how often would you cbet?

Or could you raise as large as I did and just commit to the hand?

Organize a Home Poker Game