Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$6 NL HE Turbo: Interesting AK river decision

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 51/6/1.8

i don't get to play many rivers in turbo sitngos so maybe this is a less awkward decision than i think but here ya go.

anyway, villain is a loose-passive drooltard 51/6/1.8, albeit only over a couple of dozen hands. can we call this? does anyone check-call the river (this seems horribly passive to me but seeing as i hated getting shoved on maybe it's not as bad as i think)?

and please don't tell me to 3bet preflop. villain is calling any reasonable sized 3bet because he is a drooling idiot and we then get to play AK OOP in a pot that is bigger than it needs to be at the starts of a SNG when our focus is survival rather than forcing awkward situations on ourselves (lol irony).

--------------------
HAND #1
--------------------

poker stars, $6.50 Buy-in (15/30 blinds) NL Hold'em Tourney, 8 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

CO: 1,380 (46 bb)
BTN: 795 (26.5 bb)
Hero (SB): 1,420 (47.3 bb)
BB: 1,475 (49.2 bb)
UTG+1: 1,515 (50.5 bb)
MP1: 3,545 (118.2 bb)
MP2: 1,465 (48.8 bb)
MP3: 1,905 (63.5 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is SB with A
heart.gif
K
club.gif

4 folds, CO raises to 60, BTN folds, Hero calls 45, BB folds

Flop: (150) 8
heart.gif
club.gif
A
spade.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets 60, Hero calls 60

Turn: (270) T
spade.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets 60, Hero raises to 300, CO calls 240

River: (870) K
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets 300, CO raises to 960 and is all-in

begley01

begley01

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't really check call the river since you just raised him on the turn. If he has nothing or really weak he will probably just check it down and you will get no value from your hand. If he has the nut straight or a set your supposed to go broke anyway. I like your value bet at the end, but it sounds like it didn't end well. Look at this way, value betting that river should win your more chips in the long run then you will lose from tough beats.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against a loose passive drooltard I call this with a quickness - occasionally we'll have run into a set, but I think a lot more often villain will be turning up with worse aces (which he's carefully slowplayed to the river) and you get to merrily waltz away with his chips.

There's only two hands that make straights. If I know loose passive droolers they're probably just limping 97, not minraising it, and while QJ is probably in their open-minraising range, do they really bet it UI on the flop?

I interpret the raise on the river as either the villain thinking his cunning plan to slowplay his worse ace has finally paid of, or LOL we're chopping with another AK.

Maybe I've got the wrong idea about the villain, but I don't think I check-call the river. I might check-shove it, but most of the time I probably just lead the same as you did and hope to either get called or raised. If it's pot control we're after, I'd prefer flat calling the turn instead.

I understand about not getting into difficult situations and donking off our stack early in the SnG, but once we hit top two on the river I just see us being good way too often not to get the money in. And the only other option is folding which leaves us with a pretty gross stack size (especially in a turbo).

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah i agree c-cing river is bad, wanted to see if anyone started hopping on the results-oriented bus more than anything. :)

of course if we bet 3/4 pot or so on the river i avoid any sort of tricky decision as we are basically committed.

i think i can just about make a case for QJspades being in his range - even calling stations c-bet sometimes and the small bet sizing is somewhat consistent with some bad players' notions of "zomg i can bluff! *minbet*"

but of course that's only one hand - maybe villain minraises 88/66 pf but i'm unconvinced, maybe he could have aces but (a) lol statistically unlikely and (b) i think he jams turn because when calling stations get the nuts they often just jam it in, completely oblivious to the fact they're telegraphing their hand to anyone with half a brain by showing rare aggression. however i don't think he raises weaker aces - the typical calling station, well, calls. i guess another AK makes most sense.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
final kick for any input before i post results. :)

S

SnowMonster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
He's slow playing kings or he had 97 and the turn fired him up.

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I obviously would insta call here but obv your asking for a reason. I would put him on a range of two pair with ace ten, or a set. Either way with the way you described this drool tard its tough not to put him on a stone cold bluff or a small two pair so yes i think insta-call is the only thing u can do here. Look forward to reading the results

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's slow playing kings or he had 97 and the turn fired him up.

If results show this donkass raised preflop with nine seven ill eat my shorts. This is your first post? Start reading up m8

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah loose passives don't generally raise 97 pf. kings sort of make sense - the ol' flop and turn small "an ace flopped ohcrap i'm scared" bets and the turn "i'm scared but i'm still going to call because zomg i have kingz" call fit vaguely with a bad player holding KK. AT makes sense too, yeah.

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your killing me m8. So what did he have? lol

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i called and we chopped (he had AK obv).

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree 3betting preflop creates argh spots, but once called, against someone who raises a tightish range, i just donk bet 3 streets for value. As played snap call riv

S

SnowMonster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If results show this donkass raised preflop with nine seven ill eat my shorts. This is your first post? Start reading up m8

Yeah, no one has ever tried to steal blinds or anything. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. bluffing? In poker? Ridiculous!

Look, just because your girlfriend from the video store won't sleep with you in your parents' basement any more is no reason to be snarky with me.

Z

zippyflounder

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am a donk, why not ram re raise the guy pre flop? If he calls you got a idea what he may have, if he comes over the top your racing against all but 1 hand.