$6.50 NLHE Turbo: JJ in BB faced w/ UTG shove and raise

cjay142

cjay142

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$6.50 NL HE Turbo: JJ in BB faced w/ UTG shove and raise

So here's the situation, Mid/late stages of a 6.50 Turbo SNG on Full Tilt. Table is pretty tight passive.

UTG stats for 60 hands - 15 / 4 / 2
MP stats for 60 hands - 12 / 9 / 3

I'm sitting pretty w/ 16 BBs having no trouble taking down blinds. Hasn't been too much action as all the LAGs are out - multiple walks per orbit.

$6 + $0.50 Sit & Go (Turbo) (86252784), Table 1 - 100/200 - No Limit Hold'em - 11:14:04 ET - 2009/04/03
SB posts small blind [100]
Hero posts big blind [200]
Seat 5 (BTN) has the button.
Seat 1 : Hero with 3265 chips.
Seat 2 : UTG with 1795 chips.
Seat 4 : MP with 2535 chips.
Seat 5 : BTN with 3125 chips.
Seat 9 : SB with 2780 chips.
hand.pl

** Dealing hole cards **
Dealt to Hero :
:jd4: :jc4:
Sklansky group: 1
UTG raises to 1,795, and is all in
MP raises to 2,535, and is all in
BTN folds
SB folds
Hero ?

I would have called the UTG shove, but now im faced w/ 2 opponents and a serious blow to my stack if I lose. On the other hand if I'm good I take out 2 opponents and basically take down first place.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold. JJ is a marginal hand with two all-ins in front of you. Chances are one of them has either AA/KK/QQ or AK/AQ of some sort. I would let this one go and be happy that one opponent might be going goodbye without you having to get involved.

You are just too weak against some of the bigger hands.
If your opponents have AKs and KK, you only have 18% to win. AA and KQo, only 16%. Just not worth it at this time when you can cripple your stack.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its not worth leaving yourself with only 700+ in chips trying to knock out 2 playersm especially one who re-raised all in. fold is the wise option here

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is very border line for me. i do believe this is a positive equity play. i think your ahead of each persons range here. but combined i think you lose more than you win. w/16BB's i think you got a little room to still play some poker. you would be risking alot to gain alot. i'm am really on the fence w/this one. if you had only 13BB's then i call for sure. if you had 20BB's i fold. if this were the early on i fold. later i call. i think i probably fold here. because i like to make my money at this stage of the tournament w/out a showdown(by stealing blind and or bluffing at pots). but i gues this all depends on how tight the blinds(or players at the table) are. also i another thing is how close to the money are you? because on the bubble i tent to call here. even if i was a 1 in 5 shot. those 20% of the time i'm sure to cash.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
because on the bubble i tent to call here. even if i was a 1 in 5 shot. those 20% of the time i'm sure to cash.

So because you are close to the bubble, you are going to risk 80% of your stack on a marginal play? Do you not play to win, or just play to get back your buyin? That is terrible strategy.

cjay142

cjay142

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ended up folding the hand and in retrospect I think it was the right play, it just seemed like a tough play at the moment.

With that being said, UTG flipped 99 and MP flipped 10s, and of course a J flopped so I would have been huge ITM but I ended up winning anyway.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats on the win then, and good fold. Even though you would have won, it wouldn't have been worth it had you been up against better hands. I think UTG and MP pushed in the wrong spots personally. They were the two lowest stacks, but they weren't forced to make any move yet. Oh well

TiltMonkey999

TiltMonkey999

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha, as long as you ended up winning..Those hands are the "what if" hands..Sometimes you have to lay them down..I was in a similar situation with QQ, ended up calling, but then getting beat on the river..IT happens and we learn from our mistakes..Nice fold, and good game.