$6.50 NLHE STT Turbo: Weird spot with top set

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$6.50 NL HE STT Turbo: Weird spot with top set

poker stars $6.00+$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10/t20 Blinds - 8 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BTN: t1540 M = 51.33
SB: t1470 M = 49
BB: t1410 M = 47
UTG: t1530 M = 51
UTG+1: t1470 M = 49
Hero (MP1): t3020 M = 100.67
MP2: t1590 M = 53
CO: t1470 M = 49

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is MP1 with A:diamond: A:spade:
2 folds, Hero raises to t60, MP2 calls t60, 4 folds

Flop: (t150) K:heart: 4:club: A:club: (2 players)
Hero bets t80, MP2 calls t80

Turn: (t310) J:club: (2 players)
Hero checks, MP2 bets t360, Hero folds

I wasn't sure what to do in this hand. I decided to check the turn because I wasn't sure what he could call me with that I beat. My reasoning for checking at that point in time was:

it is unlikely for him to have a A

if he has a K he folds if I bet and by checking, I'd probably be able to get
another bet out of him on the river

if he hit a flush then he would tell me by placing a bet, and would raise my bet.

he'd check the straight draws

he'd probably bet with a set

Perhaps I should have bet for protection; if he shoves/raises I can more safely fold. If I bet 190 there and he shoved I'd be getting 1:1.6; if he has the flush I'll draw quads/boat 1:4.8 of the time and I don't think he would be bluffing there too much so that would have been a safe fold I think; I can't see too many players going for value with a K/A on a board like that.

So what would have been the best play here?

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Bet more on flop, between 100-120.

2. I can understand your reasoning for checking the turn but don't do that next time in that same situation. Bet near pot.

3. Don't fold the turn, geeeeez. Why bet the flop if you're going to c/f the turn? Makes no sense to me. If you are that scared of a flush or str8 then @ least flat there & see if the board pairs. Bet for the value of your hand & it was strong there even w/ that str8 & flush board.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wtf, if you ever fold a set again less than 100bb's deep, I'm going to jump through the internet and rape you.

This advice is written in bold for a reason: Don't Fold Sets.

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Besides, v usually doesn't have a flush if he overbets like that IMO.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Besides, v usually doesn't have a flush if he overbets like that IMO.

my first reaction to your post was that I completely disagree; however, I think that you may be right. Over bets on the river are usually made flushes but probably not on the turn. hmm dk

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my first reaction to your post was that I completely disagree; however, I think that you may be right. Over bets on the river are usually made flushes but probably not on the turn. hmm dk

I may very well be wrong, I'm not all that good :)
But my reasoning: when you complete a draw on the turn, you are practically always ahead of a hand that (apparently) got made on the flop. So it would be more profitable for v to charge you a seemingly fair price to showdown your set or finish your straight draw, and then shove the river.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet a bit more on the flop then bet the turn and mutter under your breath about how your big hands never get paid when the villain folds. I wouldn't necessarily hate a check-raise but the board is now pretty drawy so it's probably safer just to lead.

As played, to me this screams that you've been floated, villain's taken your turn check as a sign that you're scared of the ace/king on the board and bet it big just to be sure you'll fold. Your line looks a hell of a lot like an underpair.

Again, as played, I just shove over the top of villain's bet on the turn. We're often ahead, even if we're not we've got 10 outs to a boat or quads and we charge hands with a single club in them or random gutshots to draw.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet a bit more on the flop then bet the turn and mutter under your breath about how your big hands never get paid when the villain folds. I wouldn't necessarily hate a check-raise but the board is now pretty drawy so it's probably safer just to lead.

As played, to me this screams that you've been floated, villain's taken your turn check as a sign that you're scared of the ace/king on the board and bet it big just to be sure you'll fold. Your line looks a hell of a lot like an underpair.

Again, as played, I just shove over the top of villain's bet on the turn. We're often ahead, even if we're not we've got 10 outs to a boat or quads and we charge hands with a single club in them or random gutshots to draw.

I reckon you're right; I folded because I couldn't see him have many hands that I beat but a flush isn't that likely either; he was probably floating. I just seen the big over bet, which on the river is usually a made flush and thought the same applied here, which as the other player pointed out is probably not the case.

I'm starting to give my opponents a bit of respect at these limits; I'm thinking that maybe I'm giving them too much as it's only a $6.50 game. At what stakes can one assume that their opponents are decentish thinking players?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm starting to give my opponents a bit of respect at these limits; I'm thinking that maybe I'm giving them too much as it's only a $6.50 game. At what stakes can one assume that their opponents are decentish thinking players?

I can only comment up to the $12s, where I still wouldn't make that assumption. They're certainly around, but not enough of them that I assume everybody is one until proven otherwise.

In my experience there's still more than enough spewtards around at the $6.50s that we're assuming players are bad / average at best until proven otherwise.