$6.50 NLHE STT Turbo: SS UTG 5-way. Shove?

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Table seems pretty tight and blinds don't go up for 2 more minutes. I'm leaning toward folding and shoving almost ATC on button or SB. Too conservative, or correct play?

Edit: LOL. I see now it was 6-way which pretty much makes this an ez fold right?
Full Tilt - $6+0.50 $6 + $0.50 Sit & Go (Turbo) (#215019508) - Blinds: 80/160 No Limit Hold'em (6 players)
Full Tilt Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: t970
BB: t4,120
UTG Hero: t1,250
MP: t3,130
CO: t3,010
BTN: t1,020

Pre-flop: (t240) Hero is UTG and dealt :kc4: :7c4:
Hero ?

Last edited:
cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Meh, if blinds were t200/t400 I would say yes, here you still have about 8bb's so there isn't quite as much pressure. Still, I don't think I'd hate a shove, because the two stacks to your left are much bigger than you and may be more likely to call your SB/BTN shove, making that move less effective.

It's certainly close, it's going to depend largely on your reads, especially of the blinds.

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^Thanks for your opinion on this and other hands. It's good to know at least these last two hands I posted are at least close decisions.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an easy fold, but...

Lets not forget the other ways we can pick up equity. By calling all in shoves. Especially important when we get shorter calling all ins can be a huge boost to your equity.

Think about this, the blinds are 50/100.
We have 1000 chips, to double up by only shoving all in, we need to shove we need to shove 7 times.

To double up by calling a shove, we need to make a risk once and we get our equity instantly boosted. So while calling is obviously more of a risk, the reward is usually pretty darn high too.

You might think there is less risk by shoving all in, but face it, once we get called we are almost always behind badly, especially in spots like this. but by calling, it's usually because the SB is shoving loose and we assume we are ahead of ranges, so more often than not, we are ahead. So while the conventional wisdom suggests that we should be shoving and be the aggressor is kind of true. We shouldn't disregard other forms of picking up equity, especially as the games continue to get harder and players are learning the strategy of shoving all in more.