Total posts
Chips
$6.25 NL HE HU Tourney Turbo: villain stole initiave on river with scary card

poker stars $6.00+$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10/t20 Blinds

BB: t1510 75.50 BBs
Hero (BTN/SB): t1490 74.50 BBs

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is BTN/SB with 6:heart: K:heart:
Hero raises to t60, BB calls t40

Flop: (t120) K:diamond: T:club: 8:diamond: (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t80, BB calls t80

Turn: (t280) Q:club: (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t180, BB calls t180

River: (t640) A:club: (2 players)
BB bets t400, Hero?

I had been raising every big blind at this point and applying a lot of pressure to villain. Really not sure what the best play here is, opinions?

Biggee247

Biggee247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People on the internet so i have seen dont really play the strongest. I'm sure he had J/10. Had 10 of the flop, so he calls your bet. Turn Comes with queen and he realizes he just needs Ace at this point, so he check in hopes of a check from you. Then he hits on the river.

Your bets were good, if he does have J/10, this is just a stubborn player. With just the river yet, and him hoping to hit a 10 or A he has a 6 outs, so 12% chance of hitting. Clearly he went for it and hit. So i would fold.

Although if he has an Ace, then he's definately just stubborn.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check back turn, so you don't get check/raised off the best hand, then call a river bet, depending on card, and of course, your opponant, Will he bluff off on the river, how much would he bet normally, reads etc. But i'm definately pot contorlling it on the turn, we probably still have the best hand, but the queen isn't a great card, and we can easily be check/raise bluffed off our hand. As played, we're not really ahead of much of much that he's value betting on the river, so we can really only beat bluffs.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People on the internet so i have seen dont really play the strongest. I'm sure he had J/10. Had 10 of the flop, so he calls your bet. Turn Comes with queen and he realizes he just needs Ace at this point, so he check in hopes of a check from you. Then he hits on the river.

Your bets were good, if he does have J/10, this is just a stubborn player. With just the river yet, and him hoping to hit a 10 or A he has a 6 outs, so 12% chance of hitting. Clearly he went for it and hit. So i would fold.

Although if he has an Ace, then he's definately just stubborn.

There's a ton of hands that he could have; it's a leak to pin point villain on one single hand

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check back turn, so you don't get check/raised off the best hand, then call a river bet, depending on card, and of course, your opponant, Will he bluff off on the river, how much would he bet normally, reads etc. But i'm definately pot contorlling it on the turn, we probably still have the best hand, but the queen isn't a great card, and we can easily be check/raise bluffed off our hand. As played, we're not really ahead of much of much that he's value betting on the river, so we can really only beat bluffs.

Hmm you have a very good point but I think I disagree. I was playing super aggressive and I think villain would give me little respect and call a turn bet fairly lightly. I think that a check here would be good if villain was aggressive but I think the standard against weak passive players is to fire again. Not certain either way. Does this sway your opinion?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
against a passive, betting has a lot more merit, so i like it. However i'm probably checking back anyway, as the board is getting scary. Our hand, while strong is still vulnerable, and against a passive, it may not even be the best hand. But i'm a pot control slut, so i dont know.