$5 STT hand: 99 set with action flop

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From a $5 9-seater; everyone involved in the hand is very loose, and I've only played one hand so far in which I was very aggressive and took down the pot.
UCHINARKAZU had just won a pot recently by chasing down the second nut flush on a board that paired on the turn, and he/she was shorstacked, calling large bets to see the river (which filled the flush).
My only fear here is QJ, which is very possible...

What do you bet on the turn? (I'm hoping you'll all agree we bet the turn ;))
Well I've got a few rum n cokes in me right now, and had while I played the hand, so my action that you'll see in the results later probably wasn't the optimal one...

pokerstars Game #5803069646: Tournament #29376894, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2006/08/05 - 02:23:01 (ET)
Table '29376894 1' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 2: RSDallas (2695 in chips)
Seat 3: 85748 (1420 in chips)
Seat 4: UCHINARKAZU (2350 in chips)
Seat 5: wileycoyote3 (1305 in chips)
Seat 7: ChuckTs (1645 in chips)
Seat 8: JawaRenegade (2770 in chips)
Seat 9: MR.MISTERY (1315 in chips)
RSDallas: posts small blind 15
85748: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ChuckTs [9h 9c]
UCHINARKAZU: calls 30
wileycoyote3: calls 30
ChuckTs: calls 30
JawaRenegade: folds
MR.MISTERY: calls 30
RSDallas: calls 15
85748: checks
*** FLOP *** [Th Ks 9s]
RSDallas: checks
85748: checks
UCHINARKAZU: checks
wileycoyote3: checks
ChuckTs: bets 160
MR.MISTERY: calls 160
RSDallas: folds
RSDallas is sitting out
85748: folds
UCHINARKAZU: calls 160
wileycoyote3: calls 160
*** TURN *** [Th Ks 9s] 2♥
ChuckTs:...............

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
OK, let's see. You've hit your set, with quite a few stragglers on board. You've hit your set on the flop, but the board is a bit dangerous with a flush and straight draw....turn card is obviously (well, hopefully) a blank to your opponents. Obviously some are trying for the straight, and others looking to catch the flush.

So what to do here? You could bet the pot...but that didn't work post-flop, and a pot-sized bet would take a little more than half your stack at this point. I say push here and get those chasers out of this hand. What can beat you (reasonably speaking)? QJ. Or, tens or Kings--but are they really that bad that they would slow play these hands pre-flop? I say push, and if it happens someone has that one hand that will beat you (hard to put anyone on Ks or Ts) then so be it.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good analysis jQ - I have only one thing to say about it.

What can beat you (reasonably speaking)? QJ. Or, tens or Kings--but are they really that bad that they would slow play these hands pre-flop?
Who knows with KK or TT - if I get beat with one of these, I'm just chalking it up to bad luck - BUT QJ is very likely to limp.

This was something I thought about during the hand, but never fully was
considering a real possibility. I was thinking too much about that player chasing down the flush a few hands ago, and with so many players in the hand I thought it was very likely someone was drawing to the flush.

I thought I made the right move; betting the pot or even 3/4 of it is kind of pointless considering my stack, so I decided to push and make my OPs pay to draw. As it turns out, they weren't drawing. I don't see how I could have played this differently though; had I put out a 3/4 pot bet, I still would have called all in for UCHI's check raise which he inevitably would do.

Here are the results:

*** TURN *** [Th Ks 9s] [2h]
ChuckTs: bets 1455 and is all-in
MR.MISTERY: folds
UCHINARKAZU: calls 1455
wileycoyote3: folds
ChuckTs said, "straight?"
*** RIVER *** [Th Ks 9s 2h] [Ah]
ChuckTs said, "gh"
*** SHOW DOWN ***
UCHINARKAZU: shows [Jc Qd] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
ChuckTs: shows [9h 9c] (three of a kind, Nines)
UCHINARKAZU collected 3730 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3730 | Rake 0
Board [Th Ks 9s 2h Ah]
Seat 2: RSDallas (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 3: 85748 (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 4: UCHINARKAZU showed [Jc Qd] and won (3730) with a straight, Ten to Ace
Seat 5: wileycoyote3 folded on the Turn
Seat 7: ChuckTs showed [9h 9c] and lost with three of a kind, Nines
Seat 8: JawaRenegade folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: MR.MISTERY (button) folded on the Turn

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a case for raising pf, but given the two limpers in front the limp for set value is fine as long as the table is passive enough.

The rest is standard, just chalk it down to a cold deck and move on. :)

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dorkus Malorkus said:
There's a case for raising pf, but given the two limpers in front the limp for set value is fine as long as the table is passive enough.
Good point, but with a very limpy and calling station-ish table, I decided to just limp instead of raise. I had seen 3 people call pot bets down to the river with very weak hands several times. I didn't want to see Jxx (actually a good flop for 9s) with several people in the pot knowing they'd call me down with J8.

Thanks for the input lady and gentleman.

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with shoving the turn, get the drawers and chasers out. Someone with a draw or a pair or 2 will call and you will be a good favorite.

If they have QJ(like they did), just say GG that you got unlucky, still have a decnt chance to fill up

Last edited:
D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you made the right play, if someone had raised me on the flop i would have shoved and DEFINATELY would have shoved on the deuce turn, especially given the current pot size and stack sizes.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands