D

dungz84

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$5 NL HE STT: Will I be + with this move

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 59/20/38

SB is a fish who limps in a lot and 100% raises the pot if it was only me in there. I was 99.999% sure he doens't have an ace here or he would raise it. His bet here means nothing to me and I like my 9 a lot. Is this a good way to handle this pot or simply calling is a better option. I didn't want to be bullied and I had to show some strength
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 5.5 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (3 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com
Hero (BB) (t2456) Button (t3619) SB (t7425) Hero's M: 16.37
Preflop
: Hero is BB with 9
spade.gif
, Q
heart.gif
1 fold, SB bets t200, Hero calls t100
Flop
: (t400) 7
spade.gif
, 9
heart.gif
, A
spade.gif
(2 players) SB bets t200, Hero raises to t2256 (All-In), SB calls t2056​

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't take this the wrong way please, but this is pretty bad all round.

the rationale that you 'dont want to be bullied' is horrible, letting emotion dictate your play is a surefire way to lose money.

You have 38 hands on the guy correct? it seems your in a personal battle with the guy, he may not even be paying attention to you, and may actually have hands each time he raised.

Now i assume your ITM here? it's 3 handed, so we have cashed?

If so, your call from the BB is a little loose, it's not too bad, it plays decently postflop.

Now the flop raise makes no sense at all, 200 to 2000? such a goofy raise. You fold out ALL the hands that are worse, and only get called by better for the most part. But i feel you need to get the way you think about hands in order before you play too many more sng's

99% sure he didnt have an ace or he would raise it? He raised preflop and then bet the flop, how can you assume he doesnt have an ace here?

you should start looking at the "range" of hands he could possibly have here, saying 'oh he cant have an ace here' is pretty much a guess, and something that will cost you in the future.

Keep posting some hands in here and myself and others will do our best to help you out.

D

dungz84

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shit I thought he limp called as small blind not that it changes a lot in my mind.
Anyway I cannot edit my post I don't know why.
Almost 90% of the time he was SB (and everyone else folded) he would Minraise me then bet the pot to take it down. 5-10 hands before this he did that and with a 3bet on the flop I took it down.
His range of doing that move is humongous dont you think?
I really think that my 9 is good here because of my read.
How should I handle such a player when he minraises everytime and bets the flop. I should take a stand or wait a good flop but the good flop may not come and with a player like him I like my 9 I really do.

My emotions didn't let me dictate your play though I now understand why you may think so. Do I want to get miniraised 90% from a fish and fold ? Or should I show strength and defend my blinds. I thought this was a good spot for me.
Yes my play is risky here, very risky I know, my BIG questionmark is should I 3bet/call/shove if I believe that my 9 is ahead at this time.
The game is 3 handed and I already cashed.

Thx for your quick reply Wizzim I appreciate it.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer check/calling, then. I just don't see what hes gonig to pay us off with, check/raising that were ahead of worse 9 perhaps, flush or straight draws, maybe.

Id also prefer either folding or 3betting preflop..

D

dungz84

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't call because I believed at that time that he would raise the turn anyway.
I didn't play this hand orthologically because I believed that this player was BAD and sometimes against such players I don't do the most sane things.
I have the same reasoning as calling an all in bet with top pair top kicker against a fish, I know that top pair top kicker isn't enough for an all in but in some situations you know it is.
It falls to the same category for me.

Now that I look at the hand I believe 3 betting preflop would be a sensible play.
I'll post the outcome later and it will give you a better perspective about this player

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, look for some more feedback, but im either check/calling one street, or check raising smaller on the flop. or just folding pre, most likely.

T

The Spillage

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try and get into the habit of 3 betting or folding in these situations. Cold calling is guaranteed to spew chips in the long run. I prefer folding here.

I suppose a c/c on the flop is probably okay now you're here. But calling that all-in after a preflop raise, with an ace on the board isn't great. It's good that you're thinking about reading your opponents but Wizzim is right about not letting it cloud your judgement too much. Yes villain has shown himself to be loose but you musn't get into the habit of immediately assuming a bad player always has bad hands.

Be patient. You've got a loose, big-stacked villain sat immediately to your right. That's a good thing. Wait for the right spots and eventually you'll be able to hit him where it hurts.

sky4ever

sky4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also had some trouble w/ min raisers when I started playing serious poker. If he`s a frequent min-raiser I like to 3-bet any marginal hands (A7-AJ,KT-KQ,QT,QJ) and because this kind of player will mostly fold to 3-bets you should flat-call to trap w/ stronger hands like JJ+. That`s how you don`t get "pushed around" not by making loose calls or over-betting post flop. Occasional min-raisers on the other hand usually have strong hands and you should flat call PF w/ any hand that has a big implied value (small PP and SC)

D

dungz84

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very helpful info guys thanks.
I usually wait for the perfect spot to hit but sometimes there isn't one.
Apart from my read the most sensible play to attack is 3bet the flop or don't attack and fold.
The outcome doesn't mean anything I guess but I'll post it some time later.
Thanks again for your info.

D

dungz84

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the outcome, thanks all for your help!
I'll post more hands soon.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 5.5 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (3 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) (t2456)
Button (t3619)
SB (t7425)

Hero's M: 16.37

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9
spade.gif
, Q
heart.gif

1 fold, SB bets t200, Hero calls t100

Flop: (t400) 7
spade.gif
, 9