$5 NLHE STT: AT in BB on Bubble

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's simple math/probabilties really when you think about a sng. if we have more chips on average then our opponants we have more of a chance to win. so this can apply to every level in a sng. what i mean by this is that we can break down our play using hem or similar and work out how big our chip stack is on average compared to our opponants. so we can look at how many we have 9 handed, 8 handed, 7 handed etc and work out where we need to pick up equity/fix leaks. so if we have less chips than our opponants going into 4 handed play, it's likely to start a ripple effect throughout the rest of the tournament, we're likely to bubble more, we have to work harder and take more risks to win more, we're also likely to enter 3 handed play with fewer chips as well. this is really advanced way of thinking about sng play, and i've explained it poorly, but hope it gives you the gist. if you like i can take a bit more time to talk about this

I agree. Falling behind when 9/8/7 handed is obv much less of a problem than being behind when 4 handed, but as the hero is the best player at the table why shouldn't he have more chips than average at every single stage of the STT? Clearly it won't happen every time and you have to take each villain and each table as they come, but I know what you're driving at here.

A lot of beginner SnG strategy says to sit tight while the blinds are low and in terms of equity it's generally true. But it's also where the weakest players are so I'm happy to open up a bit and destroy someone postflop where I see a decent opportunity, early or not. You have to win every chip sooner or later and if anyone is going to win chips off the fish I'd prefer it was me. As you said, everything's just harder if you're short on the bubble.

Plus it's easier to win chips when you have chips. I get more non-showdown winnings as a big stack (steals, walks, fear) so there's a ripple effect when you double up early. Having the CL on the bubble is like printing money if you do it right.

Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's simple as long as you have other means of preserving / growing your stack, can't really afford to tighten up too much.

Cant argue with that. And of course we will look for spots to do this. I just feel, for me, this isnt one of them.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. Falling behind when 9/8/7 handed is obv much less of a problem than being behind when 4 handed, but as the hero is the best player at the table why shouldn't he have more chips than average at every single stage of the STT? Clearly it won't happen every time and you have to take each villain and each table as they come, but I know what you're driving at here.

A lot of beginner SnG strategy says to sit tight while the blinds are low and in terms of equity it's generally true. But it's also where the weakest players are so I'm happy to open up a bit and destroy someone postflop where I see a decent opportunity, early or not. You have to win every chip sooner or later and if anyone is going to win chips off the fish I'd prefer it was me. As you said, everything's just harder if you're short on the bubble.

Plus it's easier to win chips when you have chips. I get more non-showdown winnings as a big stack (steals, walks, fear) so there's a ripple effect when you double up early. Having the CL on the bubble is like printing money if you do it right.
Well on average we should be near the top in alk fields. there is plenty of equity to pick up early. in fact when you get to the 30 limits that can be the only place you can create an edge as the regulars have close to perfect shove ranges. ill espand more on this when im not using my phone...

This is going to be my last helpful posting btw. i havent played for a long time and im starting to not want to talk about the game. i also do not want to post out of date advise. being out of the game makes you rusty. when you have to question yourself about mundane spots its time for someone else to contribute. so ask away guys anything about sng play fire me some questions.and ill respond in my usual long winded manner.

Last edited: