$5 NLHE STT: 7h8h, Villian shoves pre-flop. My Move?

Ravish

Ravish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
BTN is Loose Aggressive. Here is the converted hand:

$5 + $0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t100/t200 Blinds - 5 players

SB: t3510 17.55 BBs
Hero (BB): t1565 7.83 BBs
UTG: t1965 9.82 BBs
CO: t3315 16.57 BBs
BTN: t3145 15.72 BBs

Pre Flop: (t300) Hero is BB with 7h 8h
2 folds, BTN raises to t3145 all in

What is the correct play here?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Button may be loose, however he is shoving into a stack that is bigger than him, making his range slgihtly tighter i'd imagine. Plus he's shoving in 15BB here, it's an easy fold, but good that you are looking for spots to call down opponant's light.

Ravish

Ravish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks WiZZiM, I've never heard of analyzing the stack sizes to the left of the aggressor, even though it is what you do yourself before shoving. Makes sense.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can go a few steps futher with this line of thought too. I'll let you think about it rather than just telling you. But look at how your stack size relates to the others at the table. Think about how you are positioned in relation to them, and what it means for your range in the future.

One example could be that in the future on this table, we can shove pretty wide into that UTG player when we are in the SB, as we are of a similar stack size. How do you think that affects our range now?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can go a few steps futher with this line of thought too. I'll let you think about it rather than just telling you. But look at how your stack size relates to the others at the table. Think about how you are positioned in relation to them, and what it means for your range in the future.

One example could be that in the future on this table, we can shove pretty wide into that UTG player when we are in the SB, as we are of a similar stack size. How do you think that affects our range now?

Hehe I think I know the answer to that one :D

Ravish

Ravish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I believe what you're saying is that because my range widens against a similar stack (i.e. when the UTG player is in the BB), it should tighten against other stacks and when I'm in weaker positions?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well what i'm getting at is this.

In this particular situation, our range can be widened or tightened due to table dynamics. If we have a good table dynamic, we can afford to shove a bit tighter in general. If we have a bad one, we should be shoving a bit wider and taking a few more risks as we are not going to get many opportunities in the future.

Good table dynamics for example could include tight players on our left, who we can shove into wide. Smaller stacks on our left as we can shove wide again. tight players on our right who may give us lots of walks.

Bad ones can include things like loose players who we know will call wide on our left. Big stacks that we have to be naturally risk averse against.

Again, i haven't mentioned everything, it's for you to think about yourself.

However, in this particular situation, our table dynamic isn't shaping up to be a good one. We are the shortest stacked player with bigger stacks to our right who can shove wide into us. A good point is that we have a similar short stack to our left which we can shove into wide. Other reads like what the other players are doing can add to this and get it more accurate.
So with that dynamic, i'd say we have to take more risks than usual, as it's unlikely we will be able to find many better spots in the future.

The dynamic changes constantly, it's hard to judge at first. With constant and proper review it's something that can be done before you hit the tables and after a while you can get a better grasp of the dynamics of your table.

Ravish

Ravish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That makes sense, thanks for the advice.

Ravish

Ravish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To conclude, in the above hand I didn't push, and the BTN won the pot uncontested. Given what I know now, I think this was the correct play. If this hand was dealt to me in the SB and folded to me it would have been wise to shove against the BB.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To conclude, in the above hand I didn't push, and the BTN won the pot uncontested. Given what I know now, I think this was the correct play. If this hand was dealt to me in the SB and folded to me it would have been wise to shove against the BB.

That would be my thinking, yeah.