$5 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Fold/3-bet shove QQ here?

M

masadad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No Limit Holdem Tournament
partypoker 9 Players
Hand Conversion Powered by WeakTight Poker Hand History Converter

Stacks:
UTG (7,615) 48bb
UTG+1 (6,240) 39bb
MP1 (9,910) 62bb
MP2 (8,145) 51bb
MP3 (6,475) 40bb
CO Hero (7,940) 50bb
BTN (4,900) 31bb
SB (10,790) 67bb
BB (9,200) 58bb

Blinds: 80/160 Ante 15

Pre-Flop: (615, 9 players) Hero is CO Q:heart: Q:spade:
2 folds, MP1 raises to 320, 1 fold, MP3 raises to 960, Hero calls 960, 3 folds, MP1 calls 640

Flop: 9:diamond: 8:diamond: 7:club: (3,495, 3 players)
MP1 checks, MP3 bets 2,441, Hero goes all-in 6,965, MP1 folds, MP3 goes all-in 3,059

Turn: 3:heart: (15,960, 2), 2 all-in

River: 5:heart: (15,960, 2), 2 all-in

Final Pot: 15,960
Hero shows
Q:heart: Q:spade:
MP3 shows
??

D

Dysmania

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the way you played was good. Preflop was questionable but you still hold a good chance so long as they don't have AA or KK. By the looks of it they might have had AKs, AQs, A10s which could have been reraised, or perhaps even JJ or 10-10.

So he might have went all in with pockets JJ, or 10-10, or went all in hoping for another diamond. He might have been thinking you were bluffing, given that the call might suggest a range that I stated up there. So if he had pocket Js or 10s, or suited diamond AK, he might have been tempted.

Personally, it would depend how the player was playing. I would have been scared of the straight draw. But then again, reraising with 10-J or 10-6 would be very strange. So a call on the raise was solid I think. Unless the player had a higher pocket than you in the clear.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we are dominated on pre and flop.

Surely I agree on flop, play is either shove or fold. I choose the latter.

M

masadad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he had pocket aces. i obviously lost the hand. not sure if i should call it off as a bad shove or just unfortunate.

i am interested to know what most people would do in this situation and what move gives the best results in the long run.

here i had two options:

1. fold on flop and move on. i would still have a decent stack. wait for a better hand to shove.

2. shove right away. assuming the person actually had a weaker hand than me and it might have been an easy opportunity to double up. no point missing out on it.

which way is better?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you guys know this is a rebuy right? we're going to need at least triple our chip count by the end of the rebuy to be doing ok, so saying things like you should fold on this flop with under 50bb is just ridiculous imo.
i just 4bet/call an all in here.

Delvuter

Delvuter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it had been just one bet on the flop from MP1 it would be a re-raise, but after MP3 re-raises it's a fold. Most likely range making that re-raise is A's, K's or AK. Nothing else unless they are loose. I can't even see a loose player re-raising much more, maybe Q's, AQ. Which either ties us or still has an over to your Q's. Fold every time w/ Q's pre in this scenario unless extreme A-fish, but not even really then because calling that makes us a P-fish.

Delvuter

Delvuter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you guys know this is a rebuy right? we're going to need at least triple our chip count by the end of the rebuy to be doing ok, so saying things like you should fold on this flop with under 50bb is just ridiculous imo.
i just 4bet/call an all in here.

I never understood the shove logic unless we are at an inflection point. 50BB is the average chip stack. Hardly desperate to be gambling.

Folding in Poker