$5 NLHE MTT: Do you call/fold vs a bluffer in this spot?

M

masadad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No Limit Holdem Tournament
partypoker 9 Players
Hand Conversion Powered by WeakTight Poker Hand History Converter

Stacks:
UTG (3,569) 45bb
UTG+1 (4,907) 61bb
MP1 (1,178) 15bb
MP2 (4,237) 53bb
MP3 (4,391) 55bb
CO (3,465) 43bb
BTN (6,097) 76bb
SB (3,170) 40bb
BB Hero (3,376) 42bb

Blinds: 40/80

Pre-Flop: (240, 9 players) Hero is BB A:club: 9:diamond:
4 folds, MP3 calls 80, 1 fold, BTN calls 80, 1 fold, Hero checks

Flop: A:diamond: 5:heart: 5:spade: (400, 3 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets 280, BTN folds, Hero calls 280

Turn: 10:spade: (960, 2)
Hero checks, MP3 bets 840, Hero calls 840

River: 3:club: (2,640, 2)
Hero checks, MP3 goes all-in 3,191, Hero goes all-in 2,176

i have seen MP3 bluff at this table a few times so i tagged him as bluffer. however, him going all in like that totally had me confused. i would have folded this one but only because of his earlier bluffs i decided to go ahead and call this. what would you do in this spot? is it a bad move to call this with only a top pair?

Final Pot: 8,007
MP3 shows
??
Hero shows
A:club: 9:diamond:

Last edited:
P

PokerFan27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With these reads of the villain and given that preflop the villain only made limp, I think that you played correctly the hand.

Regards!

A

Alexandru24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the read.. but here it look kind of strong. His pot size bets on 3 streets, I think you could consider folding on the turn. You can improve only on a 9 or A, but I don't think 9 it's good.

Villan limped pre so he dosen't have to many AT+. I think he has 56, 57 suited and you're almost dead on the flop.

If you call turn it's hard to fold on the river after investing so much. You should decide on the turn if you are going with the hand or not.

M

masadad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well maybe i got away with this one but will definitely keep this hand in mind in a similar scenario next time

well this is how it ended

what do you make of MP3's play now? what kind of player notes do i add to this kind of play? :|

Final Pot: 8,007
MP3 shows
Q:spade: K:heart:
Hero shows
A:club: 9:diamond:

Hero wins 6,872 (net +3,496)

MP3 collects 2,030 (net -2,361)
BTN lost 80

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you got away with anything, i think it's a good check/call down spot, let him continue doing what he wants to do, which is be aggressive as per your read.

This is a horrible board to bluff on, so he's clearly got no idea what he's doing. i'd be calling this guy down pretty wide as he's gonna be so polarized in these spots.

I'd just label him agro, fish, bluffer, bully, or something along those lines.

MP3's play is pretty horrible since he chose such a bad board to bluff on. It's a static board, meaning it really can't change much, so if we have an ace, it will be pretty hard to make us fold it, especially when we get past the turn.
Now if MP3 thought we had top pair on a board like T92ss then he can bluff on any J Q K A and spade, making it a good flop to begin to rep a bluff on, so that is refferred to as a dynamic board, meaning the value of hands can change much more rapidly on the turn/river. Whereas on static boards, not much can change that can relegate our top pair hand into something worse. Hope that makes sense. But MP3's play is just bad, but that is just his nature/way of playing obviously.

Last edited:
smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would have raised pre-flop vs an open limp and button call.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Snapping. Villain limped pre, we have a blocker to Ax, and our opponent pretty much never has a big enough ace that he limps and then 3 balls in this situation.

H

haystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you made the right play here.He has a wide range so why not call him down he didn't have a clue what he was doing good play.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you got away with anything, i think it's a good check/call down spot, let him continue doing what he wants to do, which is be aggressive as per your read.

This is a horrible board to bluff on, so he's clearly got no idea what he's doing. i'd be calling this guy down pretty wide as he's gonna be so polarized in these spots.

I'd just label him agro, fish, bluffer, bully, or something along those lines.

MP3's play is pretty horrible since he chose such a bad board to bluff on. It's a static board, meaning it really can't change much, so if we have an ace, it will be pretty hard to make us fold it, especially when we get past the turn.
Now if MP3 thought we had top pair on a board like T92ss then he can bluff on any J Q K A and spade, making it a good flop to begin to rep a bluff on, so that is refferred to as a dynamic board, meaning the value of hands can change much more rapidly on the turn/river. Whereas on static boards, not much can change that can relegate our top pair hand into something worse. Hope that makes sense. But MP3's play is just bad, but that is just his nature/way of playing obviously.

MP3's biggest mistake was not raising preflop.

The read hero has helped him play this hand perfectly.

Note should be "This player limps preflop and 3 barrels with air. Allow plenty of rope for him to hang himself with."

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MP3's biggest mistake was not raising preflop.

The read hero has helped him play this hand perfectly.

Note should be "This player limps preflop and 3 barrels with air. Allow plenty of rope for him to hang himself with."

mp3's biggest mistake was registering for the tournament :)

Folding in Poker