No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Turbo
Currency
$
Hand is from the first blind level in a $5 18-man SnG on pokerstars. BB was playing VPIP 22 / PFR 4 over 50 hands with donk bet stats of 1 out of 3 opportunities. Are you folding or raising here at any point or just calling him down?

PokerStars, $4.52 + $0.48 - Hold'em No Limit - 10/20 (3 ante) - 9 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/hand-converter.php

UTG: 1,574 (79 bb)
UTG+1: 1,468 (73 bb)
MP: 1,379 (69 bb)
MP+1: 921 (46 bb)
LP: 1,458 (73 bb)
CO (Hero): 1,458 (73 bb)
BU: 1,595 (80 bb)
SB: 1,388 (69 bb)
BB: 2,259 (113 bb)

Pre-Flop: (57) Hero is CO with A♣ A♦
5 players fold, Hero raises to 60, BTN calls 60, 1 fold, BB calls 40

Flop: (217) 2♣ 9♥ K♦ (3 players)
BB bets 159, Hero calls 159, BU folds

Turn: (535) 2♠ (2 players)
BB bets 159, Hero calls 159

River: (853) 4♥ (2 players)
BB bets 199, Hero?

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
I wouldn't have played preflop differently but I think you would have generated a different outcome with a 3bet on the flop

The King on the flop is perfect for a reraise with your AA

Last edited:
puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Calling down is probably fine. Probably some KX that may or may not be two pairs. I'd rather see showdown cheaply than find out my top pair is no good to some king trash.

C

canbora

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm showing down one way or the other 110%. So, minimum calling. I'd have raised either the flop or turn, Probably the turn. Although all of the above are acceptable. He at best has 2 pair, which we now beat with aces up.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
With the paired board AA beat K9 and K4

Right. My eyes are tired today. I think I was talking about just calling it down in general from the flop but in this case with the paired board I would be on board with raising on the river. It looks like some kind of weak Kx, maybe KQ, KJ, trying to get some kind of value and not realizing what it is up against. I think you may get a call for around 450-550.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Instead of saying what I'd do here in this hand (well... I'd play it as you have and would raise on river either cib or just rrai).
But what happened > Villain had K2s

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
typically the donk lead in a spot like this is FD, TPmK, MPTK, maybe 2pr.

And typically the bet of same size on turn = weak (villain assumes they need to bet again for fear of looking weak but are looking weak by betting same amount (imo & is often the case (imo))

In this hand... river sizing is 'suck bet' with a monster or a blocking bet with a weak 'K'

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre: Nothing to say as it is what it should be and what we are hoping for with callers

Flop: I would never raise this against this sizing as the sizing is almost 3/4ths pot. I would discount sets here by villain as why would they want me to fold since my CO open can and should be at least somewhat wide so we dont always have something here. Villain should be checking to the raiser with their larger hands so I'm thinking Kx or 9x here a lot with some sprinkled in 2x if you really think the villain is that type of player. I way more heavily think 9x here more than anything else. Easy call imo

Turn: 2 brings a budagi board. Its possible villain has 2x but I dont think its that likely. At this point I think I was good on flop and still good here. The 2 gives us some suckout protection for the river if villain has 9x as now they could spike 2 pair on river and we would still be good. I would be thinking about my villain here and what I think they could call me with thats worse if I was to raise. That all depends on how good I think they are and what I have seen up to this point. Readless (as this probably was as it was first level) I would be thinking that even Kx here would start wondering what I beat if my villain (hero here) calls 3/4ths pot flop and raises turn on the driest of boards. So I would think I fold out everything I beat and only get called by the weird 2x hands here if I were to raise so I would just call and hope they bet river again. If they don't I'm position so I would try to get some crying call on the river.

River: Card changes nothing on face value. We have 1,080 in chips going to the river with a pot of 853. If we are going to raise here then we can't fold should we get re-popped. I go through again and think what villain would call river with that I beat if I were to raise. Villains sizing also is indicative of a hand that is not that strong since I would think a big hand here would try to go larger here on the river to get more value as we have already called twice so why not try for more than less than quarter pot. It could be an inducement bet but here I think villain is not calling a raise with worse so I would just call thinking a huge vast majority of the time I am good here but the worse hands just wouldnt call a raise so there is no point in making one. The only exceptions would be BB over calling pre with K4 suited or 94 suited but that is such a sliver of their range here.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the comments. Here are my own thoughts during the hand:

Flop
Super dry flop and AA is either way ahead or way behind. Hopefully he has top pair, and in that case there are no turn cards, that will scare him other than the remaining 2 aces, so for me this is a clear spot to just call. Keep his bluffing range alive, if he has any, and allow him to continue hanging himself with top pair. Also pot control a bit in case I am behind.

Turn
Great card since he now have less sets, and I beat K9. I dont think, bottom pair lead the flop into two opponents, and he dont have many 2X that call preflop in the first place. So I am not really worried, he made trips. Same size bet also looks weak, as Poker Orifice say. So my thinking now is, that I definitely have the best hand. Still dont see any reason to raise though, since I am in position. So I can still get more value by betting, if he check the river.

River
Another small bet, which still looks weak. I still think, I have the best hand here almost always. I also think, someone taking this line with a K, is likely to call a raise. And even if he fold, its almost a freeroll, since I think, its so rare, I am beat here. So I jammed, and this was the result:

C

canbora

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel like I'm watching a movie reading these stories of people's hands. It's like my new Cinema.

Glad you won

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel like I'm watching a movie reading these stories of people's hands. It's like my new Cinema.
This one is more like a horror movie though at least from the perspective of the Villain. Could be titled "how to dubble up your opponent with an offsuit high-low hand" :)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You can do the final call, the opponent doesn't seem to be so excited, but he is betting continuously with a strange bet. So, he has something interesting like one strong pair, which he got from the flop, and he is trying to make it more dangerous with his bets. He gets the 4 at the end, but you are saved by those 2!