VP$IP
PFR
Game Options
  1. Turbo
AF
Currency
Villain Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 28/4/4
Hello,

I was in an MTT yesterday in which there were 13 people left and I was the shortest stack. According to all the push/fold charts I know and PT4's ICM calculator, I did the correct push but it seemed too loose for me. Can someone confirm?

Here's the hand:

PokerStars - 70000/140000 Ante 17500 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 3 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 43.57 BB
Hero (SB): 4.95 BB
BB: 8.37 BB

3 players post ante of 0.13 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.87 BB) Hero has Q:diamond: 2:heart:

fold, Hero raises to 4.82 BB and is all-in, BB calls 3.82 BB

Flop: (10.02 BB, 2 players) 8:diamond: 4:diamond: 3:spade:

Turn: (10.02 BB, 2 players) J:diamond:

River: (10.02 BB, 2 players) A:diamond:

Hero shows Q:diamond: 2:heart: (Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 23%, Flop 14%, Turn 5%)
BB shows K:diamond: Q:club: (Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 77%, Flop 86%, Turn 95%)
BB wins 10.02 BB

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are some other points that I would be thinking about when making my decision such as are we in the money? If not, when does it start and what is the min cash? Is there a pay jump 13 to 12? Is it significant enough to where I care about it rather risking it but having a shot at a bigger score? If there is a jump 13 to 12, who is 12th and what is their stack? I think all those questions play a part in your decision here.

As far as the hand goes, I believe with less than 5 BBs and folded to in the small blind I am going with at least any Ax, any Kx, and any Qx. After that I would care about kickers and suitedness but A, K, or Q in my hand and I would be jamming. I'd probably be jamming something like top 2/3rds of hands here and it probably should be more like the top 3/4ths of hands. That would be my thought process anyway but all the above questions I mention would play a role in what I would do.

M

major pissadas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are some other points that I would be thinking about when making my decision such as are we in the money? If not, when does it start and what is the min cash? Is there a pay jump 13 to 12? Is it significant enough to where I care about it rather risking it but having a shot at a bigger score? If there is a jump 13 to 12, who is 12th and what is their stack? I think all those questions play a part in your decision here.

As far as the hand goes, I believe with less than 5 BBs and folded to in the small blind I am going with at least any Ax, any Kx, and any Qx. After that I would care about kickers and suitedness but A, K, or Q in my hand and I would be jamming. I'd probably be jamming something like top 2/3rds of hands here and it probably should be more like the top 3/4ths of hands. That would be my thought process anyway but all the above questions I mention would play a role in what I would do.
Thank you for the reply. We are ITM and the pay jumps when there's 11 players left. It's not a min cash either, 37,53€ for 13th and 44,67€ for 11th.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you were a mid-stack, you should tighten up and try to outlast 2 more players and get the payjump. But when you are the short stack, you should pretty much play in chip EV mode, and in pure chip EV your jamming range is 77% of hands, which is anything but complete junk. The chip EV equilibrium has him calling 72% of the time. Since its for a substantial amount of his chips, he is likely calling far less than that, and this allow you to profitably jam any two cards.

M

major pissadas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you were a mid-stack, you should tighten up and try to outlast 2 more players and get the payjump. But when you are the short stack, you should pretty much play in chip EV mode, and in pure chip EV your jamming range is 77% of hands, which is anything but complete junk. The chip EV equilibrium has him calling 72% of the time. Since its for a substantial amount of his chips, he is likely calling far less than that, and this allow you to profitably jam any two cards.
Well, it was the correct shove then but it just didn't feel right. Maybe I could've waited 1 more turn for something better but I didn't make the wrong play according to you guys.

M

major pissadas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Off-topic: are single table SNG's good to practice push/fold for tournaments?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My track record on SnG's is bad but I'm profitable in MTT's which is weird.
Not really. Winning players naturally have a lower ROI in SnGs, since each game last a shorter time, and they require more adjustments to ICM and more understanding of push-fold ranges. So if for instance you come from a cash game background, MTTs will be a smaller adjustment than STT SnGs. There is also the issue of sample size. If that "track record" is over 100 games, it means nothing at all, since variance will then completely dominate over skill edges.

M

major pissadas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not really. Winning players naturally have a lower ROI in SnGs, since each game last a shorter time, and they require more adjustments to ICM and more understanding of push-fold ranges. So if for instance you come from a cash game background, MTTs will be a smaller adjustment than STT SnGs. There is also the issue of sample size. If that "track record" is over 100 games, it means nothing at all, since variance will then completely dominate over skill edges.
I started on SnG's a long time ago and was profitable. Then I turned to cash and made even more money. Then I changed to tournaments and also made more money than before. This was all over a long timespan since poker in my country stopped existing.

Anyway, I'm trying to improve my push/fold game in certain spots where I'm not sure what to do. Do you think the following website is good for this?

Thanks

Edit: I also have access to Bencb's ranges from RYE course but they aren't as clear as the ones on this website

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyway, I'm trying to improve my push/fold game in certain spots where I'm not sure what to do. Do you think the following website is good for this?
I think paid software like ICMizer is way more usefull than printed charts. Maybe start with a 1 month subscription to check it out.

M

major pissadas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's kinda expensive. Have you ever tried it?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's kinda expensive. Have you ever tried it?
Yes I have had for it years, but my last 12 month subscription just expired. You can learn a lot by working with the program for just a month. After that improvements will be more slowly.