$5.50 NLHE: Top pair on all hearts flop, face river bet

jmasterrich

jmasterrich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$5.50 NL HE: Top pair on all hearts flop, face river bet

Only have played maybe 10 hands at this table, so no real reads on the villain. Do you think a call here is a decent play? Or is this pretty much going in the muck everytime? Thanks for any responses.:cool:

Full Tilt, 80/160 blinds NL Hold'em Tourney, 9 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

Hero (BTN): 3,506 (21.9 bb)
SB: 4,311 (26.9 bb)
BB: 4,180 (26.1 bb)
UTG+1: 18,610 (116.3 bb)
UTG+2: 10,420 (65.1 bb)
MP1: 12,560 (78.5 bb)
MP2: 3,365 (21 bb)
MP3: 13,829 (86.4 bb)
CO: 263 (1.6 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is BTN with Q:club: J:spade:
3 folds, MP2 calls 160, 2 folds, Hero raises to 400, 2 folds, MP2 calls 240

Flop: (1,040) 8:heart: T:heart: Q:heart: (2 players)
MP2 checks, Hero bets 690, MP2 calls 690

Turn: (2,420) 6:club: (2 players)
MP2 checks, Hero checks

River: (2,420) 2:club: (2 players)
MP2 bets 1,120, Hero???

Juniorsdaddy

Juniorsdaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say definitely fold. I probably would not have even bet on the flop, since you can't get any additional info unless he raises. If he raises there, you have to fold anyways. Since he just called, he was probably just trying to suck out more money with that value bet on the river. Top pair can be very tempting, but it is just top pair.

poloporasa

poloporasa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold´em. If you do so you have still 15bb left. If you would call and loose you only have 8BB remaining.
And scince you got no idea what range villian plays it does not help you that you only need an equity of 24,03 to call here efficently.

Further on I think you already decided on the turn that you would fold to any bet. Villian called your contibet on the flop and by checking on the turn you showed some weakness. And like Juniorsdaddy said "Top pair can be very tempting, but it is just top pair".

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have to fold here. you just have top pair and your kicker isnt really that great compared to the types of hands he could have limped and then called your re-raise pf and your bet on the flop

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
reads on villain?

i ask because his play doesn't make sense - if he has a flush or something like two pair or a set checking twice is horrible because so many scare cards can come that will kill or severely limit the action he gets (any heart, or non-board pairing broadway for a start).

if i don't think villain falls into the "fish who likes slowplay" category i might just be able to talk myself into calling, but in the vast majority of cases it's probably a fold.

K

kcirjr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he set you up from the flop on. I think he either slow played a set or a flush. He could even have two pair and have you beat. I think you should have slowed your play after the flop. On a flop like that see what your opponent does especially when there is only two of you there. If there is more i can see a bet from you being reasonable.