$5.50 NLHE STT: TT set turn decision

F

FastandFurious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars $5.00+$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t50/t100 Blinds - 5 players - View hand 1267872
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BTN): t2540 25.40 BBs
SB: t1270 12.70 BBs
BB: t5825 58.25 BBs
UTG: t2555 25.55 BBs
CO: t1310 13.10 BBs

Pre Flop: (t150) Hero is BTN with T :club: T :diamond:
2 folds, Hero raises to t250, 1 fold, BB calls t150

Flop: (t550) 9 :spade: 8 :club: T :heart: (2 players)
BB bets t300, Hero raises to t1200, BB calls t900

Turn: (t2950) J :heart: (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (t2950) J :club: (2 players)
BB bets t1100, Hero calls t1090 all in

Filtered stat 4-6:
BB: 1.0/34VPIP/10PRF hands:30

How would you have played the hand? did I have to shove the turn ?.. although a bit scary, I am quite committed anyway and have still 10 outs to redraw in case I'm now behind..

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like your line.

Raising preflop is 100% standard and raising the flop seems right to charge villain to draw against us and get value from two pair, lower sets, probably even top pair.

The pot is well and truly big enough on the turn that we can check behind and still get it all in on the river. If we push the turn the board is so scary that we're only ever getting called by hands that beat us. There also aren't really any better hands that we can fold out and if we check we get to draw to our 10 outs (if we even need them) for free.

Obv we love that river and we can reassess the times that it's less cooperative for us.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just shove the flop, then life is easy :D

NEWTDOG101

NEWTDOG101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the play was excellent to gain the most value out of the hand. Yes a bit scary but these hands are the best hands that pay off.

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just shove the flop, then life is easy :D

I agree.

I think the play was excellent to gain the most value out of the hand. Yes a bit scary but these hands are the best hands that pay off.

I also agree.

I may have just shoved the flop because I play poorly postflop most of the time. Well played IMO.

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought it was played very well. Raise was standard. Nice reraise on the flop was not the best but the reraise was good to get more info. Checking the turn was good as well and the river obv made your hand. I think another good question would be how would you have played if you didnt pair the board on the river. Do you think you could have folded the river?

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought it was played very well. Good raise on the flop to get people off draws. You were either way ahead or way behind here. Checking on the turn was also good. The table is too scary with the straight possibility since the guy made it. Since he checked, take the free card. Since the board paired and you made your full house, shove. If the guy made his straight, he is probably calling.

L

losched16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a vey common situation in SNGs. When the blinds are getting high (100+), post flop play becomes very tricky since you will very often find yourself pot committed after a preflop raise, and cbet/turn bet. With that said, when it get's to this stage of the game, I really try to get my chips in the middle as a favorite to avoid these types of situations. Therefore, in this particular hand, I would have most likely shoved the flop. If the villain just has a draw here and still calls your all in, well you know that you got it in as a favorite. If he has a hand like 2 pair or A9 and is trying to take it down with a donk bet, I think it is more likely you get a call from him (of course depending on the player) on the flop rather than trying to extract more value when the J hits since you are now both aftraid of the straight.

Based on how you played the hand, I am fine with the turn check, because as OzExorcist said, if you shove the turn, you are now only going to get called by hands that beat you, whereas a flop shove, you will get called by a lot worse than a flopped straight.