$5.50 NLHE STT: Tournament hand help?

M

magget16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all, been losing a lot on poker lately going all in preflop. Starting to seriously question the value of AK, the amount i've lost... anyway this isn't all in preflop:

$5 SnG 40 man tournament, 1500 chips each, level 2 blinds 25/50

UTG: ~ 1500
Mid position: 2500
Dealer: ~ 1500
Me (BB): 1450

They all limp in for 50, i raise to 200. Get three fairly quick calls. flop comes down.

5 7 10 (all different suits)

i check, few players in this pot and i don't think a continuation bet would be wise. UTG checks quickly, mid snap bets the pot ~650, dealer folds. I consider this for a moment:
The mid player is pretty loose, been playing a lot of hands and it feels like he's using his stack to his advantage, surely if he paired the board or a set he would value bet or atleast think for a second before betting? I don't see the point in calling because i'll be pot committed plus small chance he could fold a raise, so I raise all in, putting mid on KQ. UTG folds, mid clearly doesn't like what he sees but calls anyway. Flips over QJ off-suit.

Turn comes down : J
River: 10

I bust out. The question is do you think it was reckless of me to shove with ace high considering there were 2 other players in the pot? It just felt like an obvious bluff to me... appreciate any comments.

Oh and while im at it, is calling all in AK preflop stupid in micro cash games? Though I think I know the answer to this question already...

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check preflop, play a smaller pot OOP.

*Waits for the "You MUST raise preflop with AK remarks*

M

magget16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK

Yno what i think i completely agree, i've lost virtually my whole bankroll calling all ins with AK vs 66, AQ, QJ and many others. At the end of the day it is a drawing hand.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yno what i think i completely agree, i've lost virtually my whole bankroll calling all ins with AK vs 66, AQ, QJ and many others. At the end of the day it is a drawing hand.

pretty sure that's not what he means. In this spot, we're multi-way and out of position, and we're going to whiff 2/3 times on the flop. So why are we inflating a pot when we can rarely bet the flop for value and a c-bet as a bluff will rarely work? In the late games, calling an all-in/pushing all-in with AK is actually where I'd consider it the most profitable, because it is almost never in terrible shape equity-wise and our decision making is simplified. The notion that AK is a drawing hand frankly is bullshit. It is our equity that we are interested in, not that AK "isn't a made hand".

And besides, how would you even know that you've lost most of your bankroll with AK hands? That doesn't make any sense, you're just experiencing selective memory.

M

magget16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pretty sure that's not what he means. In this spot, we're multi-way and out of position, and we're going to whiff 2/3 times on the flop. So why are we inflating a pot when we can rarely bet the flop for value and a c-bet as a bluff will rarely work? In the late games, calling an all-in/pushing all-in with AK is actually where I'd consider it the most profitable, because it is almost never in terrible shape equity-wise and our decision making is simplified. The notion that AK is a drawing hand frankly is bullshit. It is our equity that we are interested in, not that AK "isn't a made hand".

And besides, how would you even know that you've lost most of your bankroll with AK hands? That doesn't make any sense, you're just experiencing selective memory.

ummm, the reason i know i've lost most of my bankroll with AK is because i don't have a big bankroll, i had about £20 in it, and lost 6-7 buy ins, 5 of which with AK

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ummm, the reason i know i've lost most of my bankroll with AK is because i don't have a big bankroll, i had about £20 in it, and lost 6-7 buy ins, 5 of which with AK

oh, well excuse me then, you should fold AK then rather than making +$EV plays in the late game.

rcrocketman

rcrocketman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes I agree all in AK is hard on the bank roll now I value bet to keep limpers out and deside what to do after the flop , some times I 3 bet the hand to gain more chips

M

magget16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh, well excuse me then, you should fold AK then rather than making +$EV plays in the late game.

Well now you're just being immature, going to the ridiculous extreme . I just think it can be overplayed.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope to god this doesn't turn out to be another "Ak is a drawing hand" thread.

Ak is one of my most profitable hands. it's even ahead of queens according to my HEM.

Sometimes variance is a bitch. If you're getting your AK in against those hands mentioned above, it will turn your way eventually. We don't stop shoving with hands as strong as AK just because we lost a few flips or 75/25's.

M

magget16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope to god this doesn't turn out to be another "Ak is a drawing hand" thread.

Ak is one of my most profitable hands. it's even ahead of queens according to my HEM.

Sometimes variance is a bitch. If you're getting your AK in against those hands mentioned above, it will turn your way eventually. We don't stop shoving with hands as strong as AK just because we lost a few flips or 75/25's.

fair enough, i'll keep shovin then :p but it is still technically a drawing hand, even if a very strong one.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fair enough, i'll keep shovin then :p but it is still technically a drawing hand, even if a very strong one.

A drawing hand when you have really deep stacks. But the fact that this hand dominates so much of an opponants range makes it play like a big pair in shorter stack situations.

If we're 200 BB's deep, then i totally agree that it's a drawing hand, and shouldn't be overplayed. But most often, we're under 75BB deep, and in the later game we're usually under 30BB's deep.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Get a book.... read it. Play a bit. Then post HH's imo.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In that situation (many limpers w/ you in BB) this is how you play AK.

Check / whiff flop / fold.

Problem solved.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands