$5.50 NLHE STT: QQ early stage preflop

F

FastandFurious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t15.00/t30.00 Blinds - 8 players - View hand 1272499
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

MP2: t1535.00 51.17 BBs - VPIP: 26, PFR: 21, 3B: 7, AF: 1.8, hands: 575
CO: t1390.00 46.33 BBs - VPIP: 25, PFR: 8, 3B: 0, AF: NaN, Hands: 12
Hero (BTN): t1280.00 42.67 BBs - VPIP: 15, PFR: 12, 3B: 4, AF: 2.8, Hands: 10817
SB: t1445.00 48.17 BBs - VPIP: 33, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: Infinity, Hands: 12
BB: t1470.00 49 BBs - VPIP: 8, PFR: 8, 3B: 0, AF: NaN, Hands: 12
UTG: t1690.00 56.33 BBs - VPIP: 8, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 12
UTG+1: t1310.00 43.67 BBs - VPIP: 42, PFR: 25, 3B: 0, AF: Infinity, Hands: 12
MP1: t3380.00 112.67 BBs - VPIP: 25, PFR: 16, 3B: 4, AF: 4.8, Hands: 173

Pre Flop: (t45) Hero is BTN with Q :spade: Q :club:
3 folds, MP2 raises to t67, 1 fold, Hero raises to t216, 1 fold, BB raises to t1470, 1 fold, ??

Both unknown to me.

Would u still call? would u call here with AK? In case MP2/original raiser calls would u still call too :)?

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Close one. Most likely ahead, but also very likely to be flipping for tourney life. Not really enough hands for real input on BB. I lay it down I think(in real life this will really only happen 50% of the time:)).

It's just too early to call a shove with less than AA or KK. You only have 216 invested and have a lot of chips behind you to play.. Hard to lay down such a strong hand preflop, but I think it would be correct to do so unless BB is a known spewtard.

And I would rather call with QQ than AK so AK is prolly a lay down too as nitty as it sounds. Still not sure if this is totally correct because calling may be slightly +EV. Then again it is sooooo early so folding is prolly correct because of ICM considerations.

Of course if your <10BB game isn't that good yet then you could consider a call. A year ago I woulda called with JJ+ AKo+. The more I play and learn though(at least at the micro/small stakes) this is slightly less EV to call. I'm not a huge stat guy, but I think if it is positive EV, it isn't much.

Last edited:
cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree call. If his range is (JJ+, AK) you are 48% to win. I think call.

L

losched16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This may be a cop-out answer, but it has a lot to do with the player and his shoving range at this stage. Sometimes in these situations if I do not have notes on a player, I may do a quick lookup on their sharkscope stats for more info. I have made plenty of correct calls purely from the understanding of whether they are a winning or losing player.

If they are a winning player, I can tell you that these players are not shoving very light when the blinds are 15/30. I think the worst you are going to see turned over would be AK, and will also see JJ+ quite often. Against this range, QQ has 47% equity, which is not what you are looking for in the early stages.

On the flip side, if they are a losing player (again without specific hand range notes or stats), I tend add a few more hands to their shoving range. So I will include AJ+, and 99+. Against these players, QQ is a snap call.

Overall, I am very reluctant to fold QQ to an all in, unless it is against a winning player who I know is only shoving the top 3% of his range. You also asked about AK, I give my thoughts about calling all ins early in a SNG in this thread. https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-poker-59/how-play-ak-196479/

I hope this helps. GL

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK fold QQ call. Your 57% against AK only AA KK smashes you. Against anything else your way ahead so IMO call.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Care to elaborate? ;)

Anyway, I'm gonna be calling here too, although I'm not super thrilled, because BB is repping a range that is JJ+ and AK, sometimes more narrow, not usually wider. Here if we fold we leave ourselves with ~t1000, but if we call and win we are up to t2650. So we're gonna need ~38% equity from a purely cEV perspective, and since we're 8-handed that's not gonna be very far off from ICM. Against JJ+ and AK we have 47% equity, so that makes it a call.

wislim

wislim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a 5.50 tourney I call unless I have history with the villian and know he is a major nit. If random villian has AA or KK I say gg and fire up a new one.

G

Gunner57

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All very good advise on here. I think you have to also look at the table. If the table is table full of sharks you should call... If full of Fish you should consider folding only if you know villian would make this move with AA or KK.
If table is tough you are going to need to take a shot at getting chips in every EV+ situiation... If at a fish market you may be able to a pick better time to make a move.
I think though about 80-90% of the time you should call on this. At these stakes I think villan could have 99+ (or even as low as 22+), AJs+, AQo+ which would put you way ahead.

Z

Zync

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a very good example of a problem that I have. I tend to fold in this situation. BB saw a raise and then a re-raise. You only have history of 12 hands and saw him going in the pot only once. I would then put him on a big pair or AK. Since I hate to race early on, I'll fold.

Reading your remarks though it makes me think that I should think of calling more than folding there. This is a great spot for BB to resteal all-in with AK. BB is probably using fold equity to win nice pot preflop and if called, he will have a good hand.

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think calling would be good here for two reasons. For one, QQ beats most of the opponent's range and you are really only an underdog to AA and KK. You are about a coinflip with AK and are beating everything else. The reraise all in is probably AK but it could be a worse hand like AQ or AQ which gives you a slightly greater edge then. By calling, you get a large initial chip stack and also will gain the reputation of the table as an aggressive player since this is a pretty marginal call which I find causes many players to respect your raises and not steal your blinds as often.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting as I had the same situation earlier today - I raised UTG+1 with QQ, was 3 bet by MP and the BB went all in. The deciding factor for me in folding was not knowing how MP would react. Against one opponent QQ is a possible call but against possibly two - I just figured at least one of them would have AA or KK.