$5.50 NLHE STT: fishy river bet on scary board

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$5.50 NL HE STT: fishy river bet on scary board

In the first orbit of a $5.50 non-turbo SNG. Villain is unknown, pre-flop tendencies tend to be loose-passive. I'm interested in getting some feedback on the turn and the river. Thanks in advance.

full tilt poker $5 + $0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t20/t40 Blinds - 9 players - View hand 594540
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

SB: t2340 M = 39
Hero (BB): t1455 M = 24.25
UTG: t1515 M = 25.25
UTG+1: t1455 M = 24.25
UTG+2: t2195 M = 36.58
MP1: t1450 M = 24.17
MP2: t1530 M = 25.50
CO: t1110 M = 18.50
BTN: t450 M = 7.50

Pre Flop: (t60) Hero is BB with Q :spade: 5 :spade:
UTG calls t40, 4 folds, CO calls t40, 2 folds, Hero checks

Flop: (t140) 8 :diamond: Q :heart: 5 :heart: (3 players)
Hero bets t80, UTG calls t80, CO folds

Turn: (t300) T :heart: (2 players)
Hero ???

---

Hero checks, UTG checks

River: (t300) K :club: (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets t300, Hero ???

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO, I would pot it on the turn, and probably flat UTG's river bet here which looks like a steal attempt, or he may have just a Q or K. I don't think you're beat here, but this is just how I read the situation. Also could have missed a few ddraws like 9-10, 6-7, 7-9 and is representing something on the end.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea hard to say... I would probably have called here, but I might have fired a 1/2-3/4 pot bet on the turn to see where villain stands. A call would make me more certain that he is a CS. Its so hard when you have no read. He called pre flop, and called your bet, no raises, calling station?? Thats what I would have - perhaps mistakenly - read. But a pot sized bet on your check, looks like a steal....hmmmm hard to say, but thats not surprising for me to say, I read so often wrong...... Maybe let me know what u did do? Id be interested.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like the turn play... early blind levels im happy giving up a little value here to maintain my stack and not bust out early... i like it as it keeps the pot small. it induces bets from worse hands, and induces bluffs.. betting is "ok" but we hate our hand if were raised and i dont want to play for my whole stack at this point... if the turn was a blank, id be happy too..

having said that.. his bet looks strong,, in my experience at low buyin levels this usually means a strong hand.. occasionally a bluff, depending on the villain... but as we checked for pot control on the turn, we just have to pay him off here i think... i call but i dont like it too much..

official guess, he hit two pair on the river :D. Kings and 8's?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh, flop bet couldve been a tad bigger also..

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the quick feedback everyone. I checked the turn, as WiZZiM suggested, trying to keep the pot small. I could have bet, but I was quickly falling out of love with my hand, and it was still early. Maybe he would have folded a turn bet, and if he called I could have c/f-ed the river. I dunno. Both lines are probably acceptable.

His river bet just looked like a bluff to me, although whenever I say this I seem to be wrong... This was another one of those times, he showed AJ for the broadway straight (LOL).

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the quick feedback everyone. I checked the turn, as WiZZiM suggested, trying to keep the pot small. I could have bet, but I was quickly falling out of love with my hand, and it was still early. Maybe he would have folded a turn bet, and if he called I could have c/f-ed the river. I dunno. Both lines are probably acceptable.

His river bet just looked like a bluff to me, although whenever I say this I seem to be wrong... This was another one of those times, he showed AJ for the broadway straight (LOL).

Lol I still call here it looks like an awful bluff haha. Unlucky though

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol I still call here it looks like an awful bluff haha. Unlucky though

Yeah, I'm not really sure why he called the flop, lol, but you can't assume your opponents make good plays, I guess. I think folding is probably right, actually, because I would need to be right 33% of the time for the call to be correct, and I doubt he's bluffing that often. Plus, I'd rather save my chips for later, so I feel like this is a fold for me in the future, or at least I'll consider it.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
against an unknown id most probably call.. but now in the future with that read.. id lean towards folding.. the only problem is, he bets his one pair type hands here as well most likely... so that makes it still a call i think.. folding cant b bad though

Pokerstudent

Pokerstudent

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now I wouldn't do this at a live table, but at a low buy in MTT, I like to mix it up. Sometimes, because the blinds are so low, I check the flop. If he bets, I reraise BIG. Big enough that it doesn't spell sense to call. This is only if you think he'll fold. Sure, you're bloating the pot, but it scares the villian and prices him out of the pot.

You could also, check/call the flop and turn to see if the board pairs on the river.

A different (more risk attached) play would be to reraise on the turn. You would have to have a very strong idea that they were not on the flush draw. But since you don't have a strong read on them, I'd do the check call.

I'd like to make a 1/2 pot-sized bet (psb) on the turn to see where you are. Especially because they could have the A of hearts.

STUD