$5.50 NLHE MTT TURBO : Shove or Fold ?

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What action will correct, shove hoping on coinflip or fold, wating for other hand ? UTG+1 stats 15/12 approximately 50 hands, although they will not say anything in this situation ..

Additional information: to the final table still left 60 players and in blinds tight players....

PokerStars - $4+$1+$0.50|4000/8000 Ante 800 NL - Holdem - 9 players

Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 19.58 BB
SB: 6.79 BB
BB: 5.73 BB
UTG: 8.73 BB
UTG+1: 13.36 BB
MP: 20.33 BB
MP+1: 7.8 BB
MP+2: 17.86 BB
Hero (CO): 8.02 BB

9 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.4 BB) Hero has 3 3

fold, UTG+1 raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, fold,

Hero raises to 7.92 BB and is all-in, BTN raises to

19.48 BB and is all-in
, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (20.25 BB, 2 players) 9 J Q

Turn: (20.25 BB, 2 players) Q

River: (20.25 BB, 2 players) 5

Hero shows 3 3 (Two Pair, Queens and Threes)
(Pre 18%, Flop 9%, Turn 5%)
BTN shows A A (Two Pair, Aces and Queens)
(Pre 82%, Flop 91%, Turn 95%)
BTN wins 20.25 BB

Last edited:
M

michaelm6392

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With 8 BB that shove is pretty standard, the min-raise doesn't really look strong unless hes the type to raise big hands small to get callers.

You were just kinda unlucky that the button held Aces.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd fold personally. It's unlikely utg is going to min fold on an 8bb stack which defeats the purpose of jamming small p pairs as you have little to no fold equity. If the open has come from lp its a clear push, here I just fold and wait for a better spot.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a clear fold.

We shouldn't ever be 3B shoving vs an UTG+1 range when he's a tight player with this hand from these positions. I mean, our objective with a hand like 33 when short stacked with no fold equity is to have 2 ways of winning the pot. primarily picking up chips when we shove is a clear advantage to us. When we have no fold equity our range obviously has to become a lot stronger, especially when facing an UTG+1 min raise off a 13bb stack who has pretty nitty stats we really do need a very strong hand to 3B shove here. If you're 3B shoving this exact hand in this spot vs his range everytime you may aswell 3B shove 89s but I imagine this would become a fold to you, given equitys vs these hands aren't much different but 89s plays a lot better vs his range than our hand.

Given we're in the CO and blinds have just passed, you would be surprised we actually still have "some" play left and stealing is still possible and of course we could get gifted with a better shoving/calling hand. I think we generate more EV folding this hand in this exact spot and finding another hand within an orbit or two to call off or steal with.

Last edited:
T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ignoring the result, this is a standard fold here with 33 for me. Villain is running 15/12 > meaning he is going to be very tight when opening. Position in these spots is critical to focus on, and you have to realize someone on this stack playing very TAG is really only opening a range of AJ+/66+, possibly tighter, from UTG+1. If you're opponent opened from MP or wasn't as tight, I would have definitely shoved here, however you can pass on 33 here.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I played in parallel has 7 tables, it was difficult to assess the situation and I always have the problem of how to play small pairs when short stack , example when we BTN SB and no one not open raise this easy shove....

During the game, I reasoned thus: tight player open min raise 2bb from UTG+1, in this range many Ax KQ+ KJs , also sometime QJs QTs KTs JTs , with pairs 55-JJ i think he shove only , QQ KK AA not so often be....
In blinds tight players , they not very often call my shove, also pot already more then half my stack around 60%. I decided that shove will be profitable....

Let's say if we change the situation , my position BTN SB BB i have 33 , UTG+1 open min raise 2bb, what me doing shove or fold , this will be profitable shove ?

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since I played in parallel has 7 tables, it was difficult to assess the situation and I always have the problem of how to play small pairs when short stack , example when we BTN SB and no one not open raise this easy shove....

During the game, I reasoned thus: tight player open min raise 2bb from UTG+1, in this range many Ax KQ+ KJs , also sometime QJs QTs KTs JTs , with pairs 55-JJ i think he shove only , QQ KK AA not so often be....
In blinds tight players , they not very often call my shove, also pot already more then half my stack around 60%. I decided that shove will be profitable....

Let's say if we change the situation , my position BTN SB BB i have 33 , UTG+1 open min raise 2bb, what me doing shove or fold , this will be profitable shove ?

Your position other than the BB is meaningless here with 33, the UTG+1 player isn't openining any different. If you're in the BB, I may in game, call and jam any favorable flop because you have 1bb invested already. One thing to remember, you're either dominated or a very, very small favorite in this spot.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold, I think it's good shove with 8 bb but as he played was very clear that it was trep but is difficult to think of the time you are playing, and easy is to talk to the exposed cards.

Folding in Poker