$5.50 NLHE MTT: Did I Play This Correctly?

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am still learning how to play MTT's optimally and am unsure about this hand in particular where I bust out with my KK so early in the game, could I have prevented this or did I play it correctly?

full tilt poker Game #33648670580: Honey Badger (262427898), Table 12 - NL Hold'em - 15/30 - 14:14:18 EET - 2013/12/18 [07:14:18 ET - 2013/12/18]
Seat 1: sailfish86 (2,940)
Seat 2: 010110110 (3,065)
Seat 3: Queer Fish (3,060)
Seat 4: farku2 (3,090)
Seat 5: ignasbernotas (2,910)
Seat 6: APD729 (6,750)
Seat 7: Razorfunk (3,000)
Seat 9: Golddrache1 (2,990)
010110110 posts the small blind of 15
Queer Fish posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ignasbernotas [Kh Ks]
farku2 calls 30
ignasbernotas raises to 240
APD729 has 15 seconds left to act
APD729 folds
Razorfunk folds
Golddrache1 folds
sailfish86 calls 240
010110110 folds
Queer Fish folds
farku2 calls 210
*** FLOP *** [5c Ts 4h] (Total Pot: 765, 3 Players)
farku2 bets 30
ignasbernotas raises to 345
sailfish86 calls 345
farku2 folds
*** TURN *** [5c Ts 4h] [Kd] (Total Pot: 1,485, 2 Players)
ignasbernotas checks
sailfish86 bets 1,260
ignasbernotas has 15 seconds left to act
ignasbernotas calls 1,260
*** RIVER *** [5c Ts 4h Kd] [6h] (Total Pot: 4,005, 2 Players)
ignasbernotas bets 1,065, and is all in
sailfish86 calls 1,065
*** SHOW DOWN ***
ignasbernotas shows [Kh Ks] three of a kind, Kings
sailfish86 shows [2h 3h] a straight, Six high
sailfish86 wins the pot (6,135) with a straight, Six high
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 6,135 | Rake 0
Board: [5c Ts 4h Kd 6h]
Seat 1: sailfish86 (button) showed [2h 3h] and won (6,135) with a straight, Six high
Seat 2: 010110110 (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 3: Queer Fish (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 4: farku2 folded on the Flop
Seat 5: ignasbernotas showed [Kh Ks] and lost with three of a kind, Kings
Seat 6: APD729 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: Razorfunk didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: Golddrache1 didn't bet (folded)

Last edited:
J

joebobfred

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The only thing I would say is raise a little bigger on the flop to try and push him out right there, but that's irrelevant considering he almost pushed it on a straight draw.
Definitely couldn't put him on 23 here given your raise PF
I definitely couldn't of seen it personally, correct play imho

A

AsylumBoy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was the Buy In?
Early in a Tournament with Blinds at 10/20 15/30 or 20/40 alot of people will be fishing with speculative hands.
You probably should have priced the PreFlop a Little Higher, say 360 to 420.

His turn bet is really quite puzzling.
I take it as a Semi-bluff knowing what he was holding.
But In that Moment I would put him on a K T (Holding 2 pair)
I Would Have Shoved the Turn instead of Calling (But that is just me, I am quite often wrong)
At least there you would still have some Fold equity.

If the buy in is low I will often play a draw hard early in the Tournament (StackUp or BustOut)

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sizing smaller pre actually. I generally make it 100 pre. Flop looks fine. Turn I'm check raise stacking off. He is probably calling at that point anyway, since players at these stakes don't know anything and he probably considers himself pot committed. Other than that, just a crazy hand. So I'm sizing pre smaller and check shoving turn

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any way to classify this as a cooler? or should I have raised really big or even shoved the flop/turn to protect my hand? Not nice to go out so early like this

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Any way to classify this as a cooler? or should I have raised really big or even shoved the flop/turn to protect my hand? Not nice to go out so early like this
No.
The '8x' raise over the limper pre is kinda on the HUGE size here. Unless it's some super micro where you've seen players willing to call ridiculously large bets you typically want to raise it ~3x +1bb per limper at this stage ('maybe' 4x +1bb). If you're OOP, add another bb.

I probably continue on the turn here, sizing my bet to setup for a river shove.

If you choose to check turn it'd only be vs. players who you figure will bet when checked to (cuz I think you're losing value if you don't bet turn to gii on river).

Once you check on turn, re-raise allin over villain's bet (I doubt he'll ever be folding getting 4to1 with only ~1k behind). River may bring a scare card that actually has villain check/fold.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your sizing is way to big pre flop. Maximum I'd go here is 150, probably more like 125.

I like your flop sizing given it's a dry flop. Turn I actually don't mind a check if your expect villain to bet although default would be just to bet here so we can have a nice river bet. Given you checked/called the turn, I think you can check/call the river, he's going to barrel his bluffs and two pair/sets again so I think check call river is ok, it's unlikely he has 3,4 or 6,7 very often here.

Also, as PO says we can check shove the turn I don't mind this I just think given the board is quite dry, I'm not scared of any cars rolling off, even a 6 or 3 rolling off so I want to keep his range as wide as possible and I think he can have some good value hands here, also some bluffs. Pretty sure he's shoving the river if he misses. If we check shove, I just feel we fold a few of his bluffs and maybe even a value hand that improves on the river, or he over values himself on the river given our passive line on the turn/river we just look so weak IMO here.

Disregard results.

Last edited:
Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's only one hand, but it seems like a possible symptom of fancy play syndrome. Consider each of your actions by asking what a solid TAG player would have done, then laying out why you thought what you actually did was better.

1luckysob

1luckysob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would raise post flop to about 500, dont be shy about aggressive betting early in a tournament. 500 may have induced a fold and 700 pot when the blinds are at 15/30 is nothing to sneeze at. i am never checking that turn either.. i know ur trying to trap which is not a bad idea but then when he falls into the trap and bets his draw, u just flat? im check shoving here if he falls for the bait. u have put urself in a bind by the time the river comes around there is no way ur folding so u might as well get it all in on the turn. im big on not trying to trap very often because if ur hand is dead ur almost always going broke. and if ur tabel perception is that ur not trapping very often, the time u do u can maximize your profits. hope this helps.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
i would raise post flop to about 500, dont be shy about aggressive betting early in a tournament. 500 may have induced a fold and 700 pot when the blinds are at 15/30 is nothing to sneeze at. i am never checking that turn either.. i know ur trying to trap which is not a bad idea but then when he falls into the trap and bets his draw, u just flat? im check shoving here if he falls for the bait. u have put urself in a bind by the time the river comes around there is no way ur folding so u might as well get it all in on the turn. im big on not trying to trap very often because if ur hand is dead ur almost always going broke. and if ur tabel perception is that ur not trapping very often, the time u do u can maximize your profits. hope this helps.
So he should raise 17x bb preflop (over 1 limper)?:confused:

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would raise post flop to about 500, dont be shy about aggressive betting early in a tournament. 500 may have induced a fold and 700 pot when the blinds are at 15/30 is nothing to sneeze at. i am never checking that turn either.. .

Have you seen how dry the board is? Why would you want to bet the flop to induce a fold?

We're wanting value from a great flop..we are not aiming to get people to to fold, that would be terrible.

A

Akwild

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
played right or not

Bernotas22,, In my opinion you did play it right,, you raised a BB which was 30 to 240 that is 8 times the blind. That usually gets rid of the donk players,but there are many people that will play any connector cards or 2 suited cards in the early stages when the blinds are low. bad beats happen,, in long run you will come out ahead.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was just unlukcy mate, you played the hand in very good way, the problem is that your foe is such and idiot he would risk all his stack on chasing the turn and river in that phase of the tournament, so stupidly played by him and in the end he got very lucky, it is sick situation, if it was little later at the tournament when the blinds are bigger he 100% folding the turn... but that is poker, unlucky now the next time this crazy chase not gonna happen. :)

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only thing I would say is raise a little bigger on the flop to try and push him out right there, but that's irrelevant considering he almost pushed it on a straight draw.
Definitely couldn't put him on 23 here given your raise PF
I definitely couldn't of seen it personally, correct play imho

where not trying to push anyone out of the pot , we have an overpair and are betting for value. If our intention is to push him out then we are turning our kings into a bluff

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was the Buy In?
Early in a Tournament with Blinds at 10/20 15/30 or 20/40 alot of people will be fishing with speculative hands.
You probably should have priced the PreFlop a Little Higher, say 360 to 420.

His turn bet is really quite puzzling.
I take it as a Semi-Bluff knowing what he was holding.
But In that Moment I would put him on a K T (Holding 2 pair)
I Would Have Shoved the Turn instead of Calling (But that is just me, I am quite often wrong)
At least there you would still have some Fold Equity.

If the buy in is low I will often play a draw hard early in the Tournament (StackUp or BustOut)

lol you are suggesting we raise KK 10 times the BB are you trying to blow him out of the pot and win the blinds?

you are showing the turn for value so that worse might call , not to make villain fold , what do you have fold equity against? do you really think villain is folding a straight or better?

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sizing smaller pre actually. I generally make it 100 pre. Flop looks fine. Turn I'm check raise stacking off. He is probably calling at that point anyway, since players at these stakes don't know anything and he probably considers himself pot committed. Other than that, just a crazy hand. So I'm sizing pre smaller and check shoving turn

yep agreed ,
betting turn is also not a bad option since , villain has called a huge bet pre and still liked his hand enough to call on flop , looks like villain is ready to pay , so checking turn might give him a free card if he checks back, plus we want to set up river shove and not overbet pot

Last edited:
JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I gotta be honest, if you have players who are going to limp call 8bb with 23s then I see no issue with raising this big but you shouldn't make a habit of it because it will let good players get away. I like the hand as played but I would check/jam the turn.