$5.50 NLHE: Did I play this correctly?

S

Seniam

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$5.50 NL HE: Did I play this correctly?

I just wanted to get feedback on this hand I played about an hour ago. I'll be honest when I say I am not sure why I played the hand this way, but here it is. $5.50 SnG on PokerStars already in the money. The two remaining players with me were pretty tight players...the player in this hand was pretty aggressive throughout when he had a hand. I was first to act in the small blind with QJs, so I made a standard raise of 3 times the BB. The BB called and the flop came 2s 6d Tc. Not really a good flop for my hand, but I made a continuation bet anyway of 800. The BB reraises for 1000 more, and at that point I sort of stopped. I knew he had to have hit the flop, but for some reason I still decided to call. The turn brings the Kc and at that point I decided to shove with an open ended straight and flush draw. In my mind I was thinking I was going to be beat if he called since there was only one card left to come. He showed a 9Tos and the river came a 3c. I was surprised but happy as I won a huge pot that brought me up to a little more than 9.5k. The guy I knocked out typed in the chatbox "lol play worse", which is partially the reason why I am wondering if I played this terribly and just donked out here. Thelast player had 3765 in chips left and I knocked him out the next hand with ATos. He shoved preflop with QTos and I hit an ace on the flop.

When I look at it afterwards I see that I had 21 outs (8 clubs, 4 aces, 3 nines, 3 queens, and 3 jacks), so I would guess that shoving on the turn was the correct play, but was it correct to c-bet the flop and then call a reraise when I missed the flop? How would you have played the hand?

Stacks:

* SB with 4865
* BB with 4870
* BTN with 3765

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds: 100/200
Site: pokerstars
* * Dealt to SB:Q♣ J♣
* * Sklansky group 3
Preflop:
* * 1 players fold.
Hero raises 400 to 600
* * BB calls [400]
* * Total folds this street: 1
* * Potsize: 1200
Flop: 2♠ 6♦ 10♣ Hero bets [800]
* * BB raises 1000 to 1800 Hero calls [1000]
* * Potsize: 4800
Turn: K♣ Hero bets [2465] [ all-in ]
* * BB calls [2465]
* * Potsize: 9730
River: 3♣
Results:
* * Hero shows a flush, King high: Q♣ J♣
* * BB shows a pair of Tens: 9♣ 10♠ Hero collected 9730 from pot

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

G

gary777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you knew he had hit you should fold, of course.
But I like your all-in move.
He might fold which was all right with you.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat :)

Great write up of the hand and being honest about your motivation is also really helpful.

Calling his flopreraise doesn't make a lot of sense whichever way you look at it I'm afraid.

Shoving the turn is fine, though unless you think you have some fold equity you may as well check and either let him bet and then shove or perhaps see the river and either make your hand or whiff and get out of it with some chips.

Either way works for me to be honest as the flop play is so odd.

The villain's play makes sense (though may not be optimal) as he's pretty much committed at this point (look at the pot size) and unless the king helped you he's going with the pair of tens as the best hand a reasonable amount of the time.

I suspect though there's enough history from the rest of the tourney that his actions are also affected by that. Very hard to say.

As it is, even though his flop reraise is barely more than a minraise (and bad betsizing on his part) calling the flop reraise is pretty horrid. Either shove over the top if he's doing it a lot or ditch right there.

Toasted_Luck

Toasted_Luck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i always so to go with your gut feeling. you see someone all of a sudden change you have to reanalyze the situation. see what the present card could have given them a monster hand. and look back to see if the store makes sense. just calling, checking, then betting big when a possible flush, str8 etc. its tough, but you gotta learn to lay the monster hands down too, just to be able to continue fighting.

Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the flop call but TBH, his call preflop was bad too. I do like the shove on the turn though.

Goodwooter

Goodwooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
long term...your call to the reraise was awful...it worked out for you this time but you want to get away from QJ when you miss

cheers and gl
wooter

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You already know where you made the mistake. You got lucky this time so all is well. But moving forward I would definately ease up on the weak calls. Normally its going to just lose your chips.

Good Luck.

S

sasquatch01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think u did the right thing it was a strong hand

S

Shlomdog111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
dunno.

the whole long run talk here sounds right to me, but i can see some reasoning as to why call the reraise on the flop:
as you mentioned, the villain is a tight player, who from your impression plays his strong hands aggresively. that said, when hitting big on the flop on his side, i'd expect a much bigger reraise, most def an all in so that rather smallish 1000 reraise could tell me he hit something (10 probs, maybe not the best kicker) but not monster-big. with this reasoning, i can call there for 2 reasons - as a floater, hoping to outplay him in later streets. plus, i have 2 overcards to the flop which i can potentially hit later, and if i do put him on a sole pair, that would be good enuf for me...

i'm not saying it's the brightest move, of course, and i understand you went with your gut more or less, but i can see some logic to it.

S

Shlomdog111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
and one last thing - i for one don't like the size of your c-bet when u completely missed. a little too high for me.