$5.5 NLHE STT: when to Cbet

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
full tilt poker $5 + $0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t30/t60 Blinds - 6 players - View hand 1189750
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

MP: t2565 42.75 BBs
CO: t2360 39.33 BBs
BTN: t1885 31.42 BBs
SB: t1070 17.83 BBs
BB: t3105 51.75 BBs
Hero (UTG): t2515 41.92 BBs

Pre Flop: (t90) Hero is UTG with A Q
Hero raises to t180, MP calls t180, 4 folds

Flop: (t450) 4 3 2 (2 players)
Hero checks, MP bets t180, Hero calls t180

Turn: (t810) 9 (2 players)
Hero checks, MP checks

River: (t810) Q (2 players)
Hero bets t400...

I dont even know what to ask about this hand. I guess my main question is what do you think about the flop check. It is pretty obvious that I didnt hit it so I believe that I am going to get a call almost no matter what. Besides people only hit the flop about 1 in every 3 times and that is with 3 cards. I get raised and check raised pretty often when I Cbet so I am trying not to Cbet as often and I figured this would be a good spot.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty much always betting this for ~t250. He has some pairs in his range that probably won't fold, but he also has broadway hands that will always fold here. He's also not likely to figure that your range misses this flop pretty often - players at the $5.50's just don't think that way. So yeah, I bet here.

Also I raise less pre-flop so my c-bet is less expensive.

tusabes

tusabes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me it seems like a pretty good flop for you. I would cbet here for sure and consider A,Q,5's for my outs. A lot of players at this level will come along w/ A-rag on this flop. If he has a worse A you can value bet through the turn and then check the river together and take it down w/ Aq high.

With the river Q you're in a tough spot if he has a monster and reraises. I guess with the way you played it I would have check/called the river if I had checked it down this far.

I would have cbet the flop for sure, I mean he's misses 30% of the time too and we have control b/c we raised preflop.

idk...i'm a cbet freak though. something is always telling me i have to cbet b/c i raised preflop.

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty much always betting this for ~t250. He has some pairs in his range that probably won't fold, but he also has broadway hands that will always fold here. He's also not likely to figure that your range misses this flop pretty often - players at the $5.50's just don't think that way. So yeah, I bet here.

Also I raise less pre-flop so my c-bet is less expensive.

Why is he always going to fold broadway hands? This seems like a good spot to call and if I check the turn try to take it down. But I am probably giving the people who play at this level to much credit (certainly proven by what he turned over:confused:).

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise to 150 pre. 240 on the flop

as played river bet is good, they rarely fold a pair.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Thunder,
Thinking about what he called your PF bet with, did the flop help him at all? IDK what kind of reads you have on him, but he should be raising you here with anything real strong, and cold calling you with low-mid PP and drawy hands (or probably not, but thats another topic). I think he is throwing 22-44 away, hard to say, but I would think yes unless I had reason to believe otherwise. AK, AA KK, QQ JJ he is probably raising you - (JJ maybe call behind????) AA AK and QQ less probable due to your hand. So what is he calling you with? This flop is not helping him, so IMO you really need to lead out again. He probably likes his KJs, or his 77-99, or something like this. But I am just putting him in the random 5.50 SnG player category, since thats what players in that category do, call in MP after a show of strength from UTG. If he didnt raise you he is either trapping (?) or has a hand that will not stand to a c bet. Best to find out on the flop.

I think he is folding to a c bet here. and if he comes back over you, well then you know.

And if he cold calls again, well,now, that really sucks.........:)

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why is he always going to fold broadway hands? This seems like a good spot to call and if I check the turn try to take it down. But I am probably giving the people who play at this level to much credit (certainly proven by what he turned over:confused:).

He gonna fold BW here cause you are reping a hand that beats BW. And if you continue to do so, he will have an easy fold.

Edit: Upon re thinking, and reading your last statement, he may have an easy call (sadly), but thats ok for you anyway......

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being oop makes this tougher. I actually wouldn't mind check/raising in this spot. I don't really have a reason why i like a C/R, but it's just another possibility to be looked into (I do not have the time sorry).

It's probably just a normal c-bet, as mentioned he might fold out some broadway hands (not all the time guys). We do get floated in this spot as well some of the time. All of which makes our turn hard to play.

Standard line here for me. 150 preflop. (390) Probably around 220 on the flop, and i'd be betting the turn fairly often, even when missed (due to "floaters").

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I figured he had a couple face cards, suited connectors or something like that. I counted pairs out because of the turn check unless he is playing scared, even in which case the river Q beats him. The last thing i expected was for him to have QQ. Turns out hes just some donk that got lucky and made more by playing terribly.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I figured he had a couple face cards, suited connectors or something like that. I counted pairs out because of the turn check unless he is playing scared, even in which case the river Q beats him. The last thing i expected was for him to have QQ. Turns out hes just some donk that got lucky and made more by playing terribly.

He had QQ? wow...... :confused:

That sound was my jaw dropping open....lol