$5.5 NLHE STT: Baby flush on the bubble

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only notes I have on this guy is that he doesn't consider position, which may or may not mean that he is playing some fairly weak hands. Do you call here since you have a flush which is really strong 4 handed even though it is a weak one and you are on the bubble?

full tilt poker $5 + $0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t100/t200 Blinds - 4 players - View hand 1109407
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: t2720 13.60 BBs
CO: t3620 18.10 BBs
BTN: t3305 16.52 BBs
Hero (SB): t3855 19.27 BBs

Pre Flop: (t300) Hero is SB with 5 3
2 folds, Hero calls t100, BB checks

Flop: (t400) 9 Q 6 (2 players)
Hero bets t400, BB calls t400

Turn: (t1200) K (2 players)
Hero bets t800, BB raises to t2120 all in, Hero??

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I'd have to call here. There are just too many hands in villains range that he'd shove with here besides a flush.

T

TopDonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
doubt i'm folding a flush here

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats exactly what I thought. He ended up having a Q flush but I came back to win the tourney

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a huge fan of the pre-flop limp, and I'm not sure if I like the flop bet. But yeah on the turn I think you have to call, you're getting almost 3:1, you've gotta be good at least that often imo.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a huge fan of the pre-flop limp, and I'm not sure if I like the flop bet. But yeah on the turn I think you have to call, you're getting almost 3:1, you've gotta be good at least that often imo.

^ this, pretty much.

Villain can have loads of hands worse than a flush that he's pushing here, probably anything from top pair to the straight. I just can't find a fold here.

Another thought - why did you even get involved with this kind of hand if you're going to consider folding when you hit your flush?!?

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OzExorcist;1641839 Another thought - why did you even get involved with this kind of hand if you're going to consider folding when you hit your flush?!?[/quote said:
^ This. I don't like the pre flop call but if you're going to play 35s it's only on the chance that you flop a flush or straight draw. Now that you've got it how can you fold it when you hit?

L

liguolong

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just call, even if you lose. Since it is possible that your opponent has some strong hand but not flush or he has a high flush draw. Also, since there are so many chips in the pot already, you have pretty much no choice but call.

brackdog

brackdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a little off the original question, but it seems like a teachable moment, so I'll ask.

I don't understand the post-flop call by Villain. He has top pair and a good draw, but his hand is far from invulnerable, so why wouldn't you reraise a min bet here? Is this an optimum play for his holding, or is there a level of sophistication that I'm completely missing?

And given hi call, what about checking the turn? If he has hit a monster, doesn't he slow down to keep you on the line? Seems like you might want to keep pot size down in a hand like this.

bD

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a little off the original question, but it seems like a teachable moment, so I'll ask.

I don't understand the post-flop call by Villain. He has top pair and a good draw, but his hand is far from invulnerable, so why wouldn't you reraise a min bet here? Is this an optimum play for his holding, or is there a level of sophistication that I'm completely missing?

And given hi call, what about checking the turn? If he has hit a monster, doesn't he slow down to keep you on the line? Seems like you might want to keep pot size down in a hand like this.

bD

There is no sophistication here so your right, this was a weak call by the villain. I would have shoved if I was in his position to keep me from hitting two pair or better. I think you are thinking a little bit to much. With the weak call on the flop, you have to imagine he is going to make a weak play on the turn. If he has a monster and I check he is probably not going to allow me to bluff at it on the river. If he doesnt make a large bet he is going to make a smallish bet to try to keep me in. It being 4 handed I figured that any flush would be good, so I dont want him to get any free cards and more so I want to stack him.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

bD
Imo, villain may think hero turns up with TJ or 2 pair here often enough to be able to shove for value

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I don't really like any part of this hand hehe

Fold it pre, if you want to bet the flop just put in the minimum, but the way that board looked there aren't many hands willing to fold unless you're up against a massively tight player

Full Flush Poker