No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Bounty
Currency
$
In poker its standard to check to the preflop raiser on the flop. However sometimes people step out of the box and lead into the preflop raiser, which is called a donk bet. Since donk bets are a bit out of the ordinary, they challenge our hand reading abilities, so I gathered a fun little collection from todays session. In this first one I have the good old pocket rockets, face an UTG raise, makes the 3-bet and get cold called by BB, who then donk jam a paired flop for a little more than 2 times the pot. Game is a $5.5 PKO on pokerstars called the "micro pacific rim special", which runs at 7:05 am CET. Starting stack is 10.000 with 100/50 blinds, so this is still early in the tournament. Everyone involved had the starting bounty. BB was playing VPIP 38 / PFR 17 over 48 hands. Obviously only one decision postflop, which is to hold`em or fold`em :)

PokerStars, $4.90 + $0.60 - Hold'em No Limit - 80/160 (16 ante) - 8 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/hand-converter.php

UTG: 15,910 (99 bb)
UTG+1: 12,070 (75 bb)
MP: 10,000 (63 bb)
MP+1 (Hero): 8,594 (54 bb)
CO: 9,780 (61 bb)
BU: 14,967 (94 bb)
SB: 21,056 (132 bb)
BB: 7,301 (46 bb)

Pre-Flop: (368) Hero is MP+1 with A♥ A♦
UTG raises to 320, 2 players fold, Hero 3-bets to 1,120, 3 players fold, BB calls 960, 1 fold

Flop: (2,768) J♠ J♦ 7♦ (2 players)
BB bets 6,165 (all-in), Hero?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Since he cold-called your 3-bet, we're supposed to put him on a decent range such as premium Aces, medium or high pocket pairs and maybe the upper suited Broadways. 🤔

Obviously the monster hands on this flop are JJ or 77. But I guess we wouldn't fire this big and rather get value over several streets.

He has several Jx hands in his range which might be a little worried about the potential flush draw (or BDSDs). But I also would not assume he would donk bet this big.

So the potential hands I can see him doing this is with QQ+ or maybe 88-TT to protect the equity. 🤔

If my read/analysis is correct, you should call here. But it's a tricky spot. 😅

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Taking his stats into consideration and the position that he is I give him a relative good range pre-flop...KJ+, A9s+, AJo, QQ+, I don't think he has JJ and also I don't think he has junk diamonds given the fact that he just calls with a raise UTG and a 3-bet before him.
On the flop is weird...with what hands can he push like that? QQ, KK, or AKo with K of diamonds, and I think he is betting that much to protect his hand...KQ of diamonds might play like this.

I don't think he plays like this with JJ or 77

I would definitely call there.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you everyone for your comments. My thoughts on this kind of situation is, that if people actually flop trips, they will usually not be so fast to shut out their opponent. So I snap called, and this was the result:

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you everyone for your comments. My thoughts on this kind of situation is, that if people actually flop trips, they will usually not be so fast to shut out their opponent. So I snap called, and this was the result:

of course, an extremely weak game from your opponent, I thought there would be at least a flush draw or small pairs like 55 or 66 then his donk push would have at least some sense) otherwise he just gave you a stack

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was not expecting that. I thought he was going to turn over 10 10 or a flush draw, or may 9 10 of diamonds. Yes, I would call without too much thought. Some better players will occasionally jam this with a hand like JQ (though the better player may not have called a 3 bet with that hand in the first place, lol.) Yes most players with 3 Jacks here are checking, so yes, easy call.

What is really frustrating is when a player makes this silly move and catches running cards for a straight.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course, an extremely weak game from your opponent, I thought there would be at least a flush draw or small pairs like 55 or 66 then his donk push would have at least some sense) otherwise he just gave you a stack
Yeah pretty much. Its difficult to say, what the opponents thought process was here, but if I have to guess, he was most likely either drunk, tilted or both of that :)
though the better player may not have called a 3 bet with that hand in the first place, lol.
Exactly. Very few hands can profitably cold call a 3-bet against an UTG open out of position. And Q9s is definitely not one of those hands :)
What is really frustrating is when a player makes this silly move and catches running cards for a straight.
Or a flush or boat. K-T, T-8, spade-spade, Q-Q, 9-9. Many backdoor draws here, but luckily I dodged all of them :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands