Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
Hi all, this one is interesting for me so I would like to hear your feedback and opinions on this hand. This is a PKO $5,40 tournament, we are still a long way until the money bubble (about 1h ).
The stats of the UTG 1 are after 54 hands played: VPIP 40 PFR 32 PostFlopAGG 2 ColdCall 21 Flop Donk Bet 58....

Pre-flop I decided to 3-bet with the idea that I will fold to a 4-bet. Do you think that my 3-bet is big enough? Should I just called pre-flop? When he bets the flop I'm thinking that he has a draw maybe with the As...I'm thinking that because I don't believe that he would bet like this with an over pair, a set or even with 2 pairs. When I raise him all in I raised so the hand ends there, because I really thought that I was ahead and he was trying to push me away, I saw him do this before against some players and he shows at the end his hand. I was very surprised that he called me. Do you guys think that I should give up on the flop?

GGPoker, Hold'em No Limit - 600/1,200 (180 ante) - 8 players

UTG: 54,043 (45 bb)
UTG+1: 79,989 (67 bb)
MP: 169,106 (141 bb)
MP+1 (Hero): 204,403 (170 bb)
CO: 33,084 (28 bb)
BU: 223,898 (187 bb)
SB: 97,196 (81 bb)
BB: 70,802 (59 bb)

Pre-Flop: (3,240) Hero is MP+1 with A Q
UTG raises to 2,400, UTG+1 calls 2,400, MP calls 2,400, Hero 3-bets to 13,200, 5 players fold, UTG+1 calls 10,800, 1 fold

Flop: (34,440) 4 T 7 (2 players)
UTG+1 bets 18,942, Hero raises to 72,462, UTG+1 calls 47,667 (all-in)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre: I think the 3 bet sizing is fine even though it is not textbook sizing. We dont hate it (at least I dont think we do) when we are called here by one player especially when that player is one of the callers and not the initial raiser and we have position.

Flop: Comes down to villain of course but you mention you think he is on a draw. All draws are flipping with you one way or another. Even a random J3 of spades is actually ahead of you. Ramdom straight draws like 65 diamonds are even 50/50 so I think you thinking that they are on a draw so I jam is marginal unless there is fold equity. I am not sure whether there is or isnt since I dont know villain but it looks like there was little fold equity. Therefore, I would have to think there is some air in their range to jam and if that is the case... why jam and let them fold if I am way ahead? I think I just call this flop bet here and play perfectly against their draws. My plan (if I was comfortable enough to jam flop) would be to call flop and then jam turn when draws dont get there.

Now all the above is if I believe there is air in villains range. If I am thinking that there is rarely if ever air (meaning they are donk leading with some pair or some draw) then against that entire range we are behind and I think its fine to fold but we can be exploited that way as well. A spot here where what we know about villain is crucial in this hand but I generally like calling flop and letting villain continue to barrel off rather than jam flop and if they are on a pair on draw they call with the equity to do so and if they are on air then they just fold. Interesting in what others say cause my confidence on this response is low, it might be a spot where I misplay routinely and just dont know it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I like the idea of 3-betting with the intention to fold, if UTG comes back over the top. However if its UTG+1, who makes a backraise, then I am prepared to stack off and go after his bounty, given that he have maniac stats, and he only start with 67 BB. I think, 3-bet sizing is completely fine with 2 field callers.

Flop
It sucks to fold to someone, who donk out all the time. But the way to beat maniacs is not to fight fire with fire. You missed this flop completely, and he is probably not donking out with nothing. He has either a weak pair, which he wants to protect, or he has a draw. And as 300HPGOD say, you are not even in good shape against draws, because they have up to 6 outs to a pair as well. You can have all the overpairs here or top set or a flushdraw yourself. So just let him have this one, and go after his stack, when you actually have a hand.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all, this one is interesting for me so I would like to hear your feedback and opinions on this hand. This is a PKO $5,40 tournament, we are still a long way until the money bubble (about 1h ).
The stats of the UTG 1 are after 54 hands played: VPIP 40 PFR 32 PostFlopAGG 2 ColdCall 21 Flop Donk Bet 58....

Pre-flop I decided to 3-bet with the idea that I will fold to a 4-bet. Do you think that my 3-bet is big enough? Should I just called pre-flop? When he bets the flop I'm thinking that he has a draw maybe with the As...I'm thinking that because I don't believe that he would bet like this with an over pair, a set or even with 2 pairs. When I raise him all in I raised so the hand ends there, because I really thought that I was ahead and he was trying to push me away, I saw him do this before against some players and he shows at the end his hand. I was very surprised that he called me. Do you guys think that I should give up on the flop?

UTG raises to 2,400, UTG+1 calls 2,400, MP calls 2,400, Hero 3-bets to 13,200, 5 players fold, UTG+1 calls 10,800, 1 fold

Ok so we are in exploit game play here so standard lines do not apply-

So what data do we want to have to determine our exploit approach to this spot

1 V has a wide range to open- if you have charts or GTOWIZ do not look at MP vs UTG charts look at BTN VS CO instead -
2 V will continue post flop with a wide range which means they have more board coverage than we do
3 V is likely to continue to the river with anything that hits for them
4 V will be aggressive post flop and attack us
5 effective stacks are 67bb which is fairly deep
6 AQoff is not a great EQR hand so it will be difficult for us to get to river vs aggression this deep if we miss the flop

Using this data does anything hit you right now about how you were thinking about this hand preflop?

You said you would fold to a 4 bet from an aggro wide range player why? Would the 4 bets be hands that dominate you only?
Would we not consider a 5 bet shove at some frequency?

Ok we are folding to a 4 bet from a player very likely to 4 bet why did we use this sizing? Why let them win more by being agg preflop when we know they are agg?
Vs a player that is going to be aggro post flop when we miss do we want our SPR to be lower on flop with this hand?
What would be better for us in this spot-- a half pot lead of 7k or 18k- by a known aggro V on a board that they have all the nuts and draws-which we do not block very well and we have no spade redraw.

As played I hope you won🤑 but it is not necessary to take this high variance line vs a player who plays wide ranges in tournaments-

A good mantra to have vs wide range players is -Make the nuts and make them pay- weak hand go away
Vs weak aggs A high can be the nuts but seldom is if we get all-in on the flop

AQoff on that board is weak

:unsure::geek:

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Ok so we are in exploit game play here so standard lines do not apply-

So what data do we want to have to determine our exploit approach to this spot

1 V has a wide range to open- if you have charts or GTOWIZ do not look at MP vs UTG charts look at BTN VS CO instead -
2 V will continue post flop with a wide range which means they have more board coverage than we do
3 V is likely to continue to the river with anything that hits for them
4 V will be aggressive post flop and attack us
5 effective stacks are 67bb which is fairly deep
6 AQoff is not a great EQR hand so it will be difficult for us to get to river vs aggression this deep if we miss the flop

Using this data does anything hit you right now about how you were thinking about this hand preflop?

You said you would fold to a 4 bet from an aggro wide range player why? Would the 4 bets be hands that dominate you only?
Would we not consider a 5 bet shove at some frequency?

Ok we are folding to a 4 bet from a player very likely to 4 bet why did we use this sizing? Why let them win more by being agg preflop when we know they are agg?
Vs a player that is going to be aggro post flop when we miss do we want our SPR to be lower on flop with this hand?
What would be better for us in this spot-- a half pot lead of 7k or 18k- by a known aggro V on a board that they have all the nuts and draws-which we do not block very well and we have no spade redraw.

As played I hope you won🤑 but it is not necessary to take this high variance line vs a player who plays wide ranges in tournaments-

A good mantra to have vs wide range players is -Make the nuts and make them pay- weak hand go away
Vs weak aggs A high can be the nuts but seldom is if we get all-in on the flop

AQoff on that board is weak

:unsure::geek:

Yes I did won it this time, I agree with you that is not necessary to take this high variance line against this type of player. On the flop was 50/50 so long term is not +EV this kind of play. 📑

Replay this hand on CardsChat

Turn: (167,658) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (167,658) Q (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 167,658

Showdown:
MP+1 (Hero) shows A Q (a pair of Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 68%, Flop: 50%, Turn: 73%, River: 100%)

UTG+1 shows A 5 (high card, Ace)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 32%, Flop: 50%, Turn: 27%, River: 0%)

MP+1 (Hero) wins 167,658