$5.25 NLHE MTT Bounty: Villain Donks Turn in a 3-bet pot

C

ciriciric

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5.25 Bounty tourney still in late reg phase.
Hero 38.000 (55BB)
Villain has Hero covered
8 players at the table, blinds 350/700
Don't know much about Villain, looks like he is ABC player.

It folds to Villain in MP, and he opens 1400, folds to Hero in CO and Hero 3-Bets to 4.300 with AsQs, folds back to Villain and he makes the call.
flop: Kh Ad Jd (pot: 10.450)
Villain checks, Hero bets 3.450, and Villain calls
turn: Ac (pot: 17.350)
Villain leads for 8.700,

If I call this Turn bet pot will be 35.000 and I would have around 22.000 left. Since Villain has me covered I figured out that I need to make a decision now, if I call, I should call all-in on the river as well as I would be getting 3 to 1 almost. But I don't think Villain is ever bluffing with this line. If he check-raised me on the flop and after T is another Ace I would probably call and get it in. This way after my pf 3-Bet and flop C-bet, Villain leads the turn??? It is a 3-Bet pot and he could easily have all the AKo combos and AhJh combo, but he could have AJo combos as well. KK and JJ should be 4-Bet, but he could slowplayed it. The main problem in my head was that he could easily put me on Ax hand and if he had a full-house he wanted to get chips in the middle thinking that I wouldn't be able to fold A trips. QT combos I believe he is folding after my 3-Bet and even if he decided to call why would he lead after the board gets paired...

All in all, I eventually folded, as I also considered that I am on a fairly good table with mostly bad players and decided to get chips another way.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some possibilities with this. He has the cards, which means good fold. This is a possibility, but I tend not to think he has the other A, but he might. He could also be using his chip stack to bully you, which is a keen possibility. Bluffs with a large chip stack happen quite a bit, even when someone is normally ABC.

C

ciriciric

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some possibilities with this. He has the cards, which means good fold. This is a possibility, but I tend not to think he has the other A, but he might. He could also be using his chip stack to bully you, which is a keen possibility. Bluffs with a large chip stack happen quite a bit, even when someone is normally ABC.

I will edit my post now, he has me covered but has 10-15BB more than me, he does not have a huge stack at that moment

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bluff works if they are willing to take the chance.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am definitely not folding in this spot. You are basically saying, that the opponent will never take any aggressive action at all, unless he have the nuts. In my opinion thats simply not true. And even when you are behind here, you still have outs against anything other than AK, which is a very unlikely hand for him to have. So at the very least you need to stick around and see the river.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In your post you write that villain could lead here knowing that I have Ax and that you would call off. My question is, if villain had just nailed a boat on the turn, why would he lead out and possibly get you to fold your bluffs? If villain thinks you have Ax and just saw you 3 bet pre and C bet dont you think that they would think you would continue with a coordinated board and 2 diamonds on the board to fire again on the turn and not give a free card? They would then be smarter to check raise you on the turn vs lead out if they truly had a boat cause the flush wouldnt scare them nor would the straight so they could hope for the check raise and if you check behind then you do, no worries to them. They could have JJ here or they could have some Kx hand where they are hoping you dont have an ace and will fold but you need to call this bet and then probably bluff catch on the river depending on what river card comes.

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the other hand, your 3-bet shows a really strong hand, AK being an enormous possibility, so even if he had some sort of set (JJ or KK, which I seriously doubt it since I believe he would come back with a 4-bet on both possibilities) he could at least be concern of he made a boat smaller than yours (AK, AJ)... I believe the move ould be to shove on the turn after his lead. imo.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the end of the day its just way to weak-tight to 3-bet AQ, hit trips with top kicker and then basically quit without putting chips in the pot, only because the opponent takes a strange line and lead the turn. Yes he could be doing this with AK or AJ, but now there are only 3 combos of each of those hands, and he could also just be turning something into a bluff or trying to set his own price to draw.

If Hero call here, pot is 34k with 22k left behind. If the opponent then checks the river, I have no issue with checking back, because his line is so strange, so I am really not sure, whats going on. And if he puts us to the test for our last chips, then we just make a decision. Maybe we can fold, if the diamond draw comes in, and that does not slow him down. But generally we need to be willing to stack off for 55BB in a 3-bet pot with a hand this strong. If we did not want to play a big pot without the nuts, then just calling preflop is a much better option than 3-betting.