$40 NLHE MTT: Flopped top pair in position with lead, over-card on turn and villain check raises

M

michaelm6392

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$40 NLHE MTT: Flopped top pair in position with lead, over-card on turn and villain check raises

I have KJo on the button with one limper ahead of me. I raise and it folds around to the limper who calls.

Flop comes Jxx rainbow, I get checked to and c-bet half the pot, villain calls.

Turn comes an A and I get checked to again.

I bet, he raises, I fold.

Now, I think I should have checked back the turn with the intention of calling the river, because I suspect that in hindsight this may be a bluff.

I don't honestly see him limping AJ, AQ, or AK most times so my best guess for hands better than mine is an ace rag that hit the flop and turned into two pair, or a small pocket pair that made a set.

I could also see him bluffing with worse jacks than me, maybe even total air (I didn't know him well enough to say) I think total air is less likely but I've seen crazier things.

My thinking is that if I check back the turn and call the river I lose the same amount of chips but it becomes impossible for his bluffs to go through.

This was a live tournament (my first actually), and I ended up losing mainly because this hand crippled my stack. So I've obsessed over it a bit since then.

Thank you for your help.;)

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Twice check flop/turn and check/raise in turn look very strong , i think you already far behind.. Vilain range like trips or Ax...

In turn better pot control check and check/call river, this line game more good!!