$4 NLHE STT: Could I have played this better?

C

computerdude

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Binds 50/100
[UTG] Limps 100
Table Folds
[SB] Completes
[HERO BB] BB Qc10c Check

Flop
7h 10h 7c

[SB]Check
[HERO] Half Pot Bet 300
[UTG] Call
[SB] Fold

Turn 3h
[HERO] Half Pot Bet 900
[UTG] Call

River Qh
[HERO] Check
[UTG] Raise 600
[HERO] Shove 975
[UTG] Call

UTG shows 10 10 for 10s full of sevens
HERO loses with 7s full of queens.

My initial thoughs where he either had a small pocket pair (hence the limp) or possibly had a 7 after the flop, or a flush draw. Guess I was wrong. Knocked out the tournament.

Was my play bad? I thought I had the nuts on the river, hence the check to induce a strong bet from him if he had a the set of 7s or the flush

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tou...-51/hand-analysis-read-before-posting-174517/

We need game type, stack sizes etc etc etc etc.

you know that you actually are behind to a set of 7's on the river. if he has three 7's, you only have two pair, queens and 10's.

Bet smaller on the flop, like 150, then smaller again on the turn, river we can eitehr bet/fold or bet/call depending on reads. usually this is just a setup hand, so don't worry about it too much.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you're losing to any 7 and any heart? or have i gone crazy?

did you have Q7? because Qc10c is listed as your starting hand?

C

computerdude

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait huge typo guys... lol I had Qc 7c... not 10c

Guess i was fuming from the beat and my head wasnt straight. lol

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played it fine and got coolered

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have to pay him off. No regrets.

River, all in.

Anyway, hard to believe and read that he had the tens.

B

byrnsiey330

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest mistake was not checking to the original raiser. In this situation until you hit the river you want to keep the pot relatively small.

Flop: Your hand is TP decent kicker...not a hand to be donk betting with, check to the raiser and call.

Turn: Your hand is still TP decent kicker. You arent getting any information from the villain when you bet into him except that he might have a hand that beats yours. I would check again, he would bet. He might even price you out of the hand which at that point shouldn't have bothered you.

River: Jackpot, we have a full house. So check back, maybe induce a bluff or value bet on the raise. I wouldn't go all in, because at this point I think I have the nuts, so I'm nervous I won't get called by anything that isn't close to the nuts. I'm trying to extract as much value as I can here, and I just don't think that an all in bet would do that.

I think regardless you were going to pay him off a little bit but this is where pot control could have saved your tournament life.

Not sure what the pot size was and stack sizes so that might have really changed my decision making.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
did you even read the HH brynsiey?

the hand was played fine, you can check the turn or bet smaller if you want to control things, river i think you should just bet again, unless you think he might bluff certain hands if we check to him.

BTW he mentioned it was a typo, so he had Q7, flopped a full house. you can check here to let others hit something, or bet out and build the pot. checking is far better if we have aggro opponants, betting is better vs callers. probably bet a little smaller on the flop in general to get a few more calls, around 260ish sounds good.

Last edited:
horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without villain stats, i am not play on stack with only top pair in marginal situation, about you game in flop fine standart bet , in river i potcontrol and call not more pot bet. and in river fold if he bet again,,,

B

byrnsiey330

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

the hand was played fine, you can check the turn or bet smaller if you want to control things, river i think you should just bet again, unless you think he might bluff certain hands if we check to him.

BTW he mentioned it was a typo, so he had Q7, flopped a full house. you can check here to let others hit something, or bet out and build the pot. checking is far better if we have aggro opponants, betting is better vs callers. probably bet a little smaller on the flop in general to get a few more calls, around 260ish sounds good.

nope, my bad. I usually don't read them until after because I don't want my opinion to be swayed by anyone.

That being said, hand was played exactly how I played it, I thought that he had QTs. MB

X at Tripaces

X at Tripaces

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Actually he flopped a set, and rivered 7's over queens. Villian flopped the boat.. and hid it well. With villian limping with TT here, and hero checking the BB to flop the trips... i would find it hard to believe i was beat the way the hand was played out, however if we know Villian likes to limp with decent PP.. or have other reads... maybe different story.. but with info given.. i would have played it similar.

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I probably would of played tge hand the same. I mean unless you could of put him on something like that. With him just limping in and flat calling you whole way. Hard to put him on beating you. Especially when river gives you a boat.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well....I had this long response ready for the :qc4: :10c4: hand....but the :qc4: :7c4: is really just a cooler. You COULD consider checking to the raiser on the flop because you want to get some action on your trips. that could be risky, too because of the heart draw.