$4 NLHE MTT: 8Ks - BTN

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars, $4 Buy-in (125/250 blinds, 30 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 9 Players

Stats: mp1 stats: 21/7 limp 20

This is serious question how would you fight vs limpers! Really this is so popular and fancy nowadays..

What would you do preflop is main question?

How would you comment my line?

SB: 19,153 (76.6 bb)
BB: 2,680 (10.7 bb)
UTG+1: 9,191 (36.8 bb)
UTG+2: 2,250 (9 bb)
MP1: 5,855 (23.4 bb)
MP2: 3,545 (14.2 bb)
MP3: 3,195 (12.8 bb)
CO: 4,400 (17.6 bb)
Hero (BTN): 8,755 (35 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 8
diamond4.gif
K
diamond4.gif

2 folds, MP1 calls 250, 3 folds, hero?

hero decides...

Hero raises to 750, 2 folds, MP1 calls 500 (I wanted narrow the field and 8Ks is strong enough to play in position 1v1 imo)

postflop action..

Flop: (2,145) 4
club4.gif
club4.gif
spade4.gif
(2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero checks

Turn: (2,145) 8
heart4.gif
(2 players)
MP1 bets 1,250, Hero calls 1,250

River: (4,645) K
club4.gif
(2 players)
MP1 bets 1,750, Hero?

hero decides on river

Hero calls 1,750

result

Results: 8,145 pot
Final Board: 4
club4.gif
club4.gif
spade4.gif
heart4.gif
K
club4.gif

MP1 showed 4
spade4.gif
heart4.gif
and won 8,145 (4,365 net)
Hero mucked 8
diamond4.gif
K
diamond4.gif
and lost (-3,780 net)

Last edited:
B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all you have to know what kind of hands do they limp with and act accordingly.
If you give them small or medium pairs you should bet if a broadway card appears on the flop
If you give them any 2 broadway cards just do the opposite.
If you don't have any read you have to wait for the right moment
That means position + decent cards to put in 3-bet and c-bet on the flop afterwards.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a marginal hand so i wouldn't bother playing with it even though we would have position over the rest of the table. Such hands are a recipe to bleed chips so just fold pre flop is best i think. :albertein

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K8s is pretty marginal to get involved with but I can just about understand why you did. When MP1 calls he's obviously got something he wants to see a flop with so probably small PP, Ax, suited connectors or 2 broadway.

So the flop comes down all undercards which obviously hits small PP range pretty hard but you have the betting lead and position and he checks to you. (Which they are going to do pretty much 100% of the time with a made hand as you are the pre-flop aggressor and they will expect you to continue.) By checking back you give up the betting lead and lose your opportunity to narrow down villain's range. A c-bet here gets you everything you need to know for the rest of the hand and would almost certainly have saved you some chips. If villain folds great you've picked up some chips with air. A call and you know you are probably in a bit of trouble and a check raise should have you reaching for the fold button without hesitation.

As played the turn complicates matters as you suddenly have top pair but villain leads out. How often are they doing this with air? You probably have to call but you can't feel that good about it.

The river giving you two pair doesn't really change much other than bringing home flush draws which seem pretty unlikely i.e. if your pair of eights were best on the turn then they are probably still best now without you now having two pair. When the villain leads out again for less than half the pot it screams value bet which suggests you probably weren't good on the turn and, unless they have something like 87, haven't improved against their hand. Pretty difficult to find a fold though.

IMO you had two opportunities to have this play out differently i.e. fold pre-flop or c-bet the flop which would have saved you chips.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just bet the flop, it will keep things alot simpler and you won't have to be in a guessing game like you are here, assume he has a set here or some weird completed flush, or he could be betting for value with something less than our two pair, so the calls are both a must since we really didn't make our position clear on the flop.

when you got initiative use it :)

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to play against limpers? Well, first you need to know if they're the type to limp/call or limp/fold or limp/raise. All 3 types exist but I find generally the limp/call type to be most abundant.

Until I know what type of limpers they are; I'll just limp along with my speculative hands and raise with my value hands.

If they're limp/folders yay! You can 3bet bluff.

If they're limp/raisers then only limp along with hands that can crack premium hands. Raise with your monsters and be prepared to stack off pre.

If they're limp/callers it's more tricky. Do they play fit or fold post flop? Or are they skilled postflop players? If they are straightforward you can 3bet and Cbet and make a lot of chips off them. If they're tough or tricky then only get involved with solid value hands, and in position some speculative hands.