K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$4 NL HE: AK - K on turn, next move?

What would your move be on the turn?

pokerstars Game #37654998735: Tournament #228619218, $4.00+$0.40 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level X (300/600) - 2010/01/04 16:18:38 CT [2010/01/04 17:18:38 ET]
Table '228619218 15' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: bjotro (6867 in chips)
Seat 3: 09kKahneFan (8696 in chips)
Seat 4: epicrates88 (7337 in chips)
Seat 5: burballes (11100 in chips)
Seat 6: Redbridge (28070 in chips)
Seat 7: AlZuriTA (22975 in chips)
Seat 8: pww22 (6665 in chips)
Seat 9: dinobet (9788 in chips)
bjotro: posts the ante 50
09kKahneFan: posts the ante 50
epicrates88: posts the ante 50
burballes: posts the ante 50
Redbridge: posts the ante 50
AlZuriTA: posts the ante 50
pww22: posts the ante 50
dinobet: posts the ante 50
burballes: posts small blind 300
Redbridge: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to 09kKahneFan [:ad4: :kd4:]
AlZuriTA: raises 600 to 1200
pww22: folds
dinobet: folds
bjotro: folds
09kKahneFan: calls 1200
epicrates88: folds
burballes: folds
Redbridge: calls 600
*** FLOP *** [:6s4: :3h4: :3c4:]
Redbridge: checks
AlZuriTA: checks
09kKahneFan: checks
*** TURN *** [6s 3h 3c] [:kh4:]
Redbridge: checks
AlZuriTA: checks

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check and take the free card. Any bet by you will commit you no matter what the river is. You have position and can use your reads on your opponents to decide what to do. If either opponent is on a FD you can't make any bet that will get them off it and you want hands like middle pocket pairs to be able to fire on the river if a blank comes.

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never know when I supposed to post the results to these, so I've attached it here. Read it if/when you want.

Attachments

• AK-Hand.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 20
K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Under-valued.

Seriously, can we start banning people for saying that AK is over-rated?

It's not better than a pair of 2's, and you HAVE to catch up on the board to beat any pocket pair. So, yes, I would (usually) raise, but not insta-shove.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have AKs, you have 12BBs and some fool has minraised UTG. you should be shoving pre - there isn't even any real room for discussion or opinion here, it's a simple fact. you're unsure of what to do on the turn when in truth it's a decision you shouldn't need to make.

and you HAVE to catch up on the board to beat any pocket pair

yes and if you shove pre you get to see all 5 board cards, thus maximising your chances of "catching up on the board". call and most of the time you will get to see 3 cards and have no clue what to do with your Ace-high when captain minraise throws a random bet at you.

It's not better than a pair of 2's

holding AK is better than holding 22 here because AK is better against an average person's range for raising/calling a shove. 22 may be a favourite against AK in isolation, but that is irrelevant.

trewtrew

trewtrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is at least 50% against any hand excluding AA or KK. with little over 10BBs, anything but a shove is just asking for trouble - which was very much the case on the flop - ur opponent may have had a QJ hand and bet the flop and taken the pot away from you with way the worst hand.

SHOVE PRE

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove pre.

Since your question was about the turn, shove and hope you don't get called by trips.

W

wetyeti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, pf shove. But you didnt so now you have this dilemma.....Am I being slowplayed? It doesnt matter now. Shove and if hes holding a trey, kick yourself for not shoving preflop.

T

TopDonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah you should definitely be getting it in here pre, but as played why not just shove turn, i mean we are ahead almost all the time here and you may get called by worse as villain wwill be getting such a good price

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seriously, this is like the easiest, most standard shove ever. your thought process and attitude toward AK is a seriously bad leak. you should probably consider avoiding tournament play altogether if you're not insta-clicking all in button with AK in this type of spot, because it's a pretty basic and very common situation, and you're losing a shitton of value if you don't shove -- just like this hand, when you get no value from his whiffed AJo or whatever.

Sumun

Sumun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think you have the best hand here
bet 1 big blind, you will be called by at least one of them
then maybe check the river or bet 3 blinds that probably would be called by a K 10

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have an "M" of a little less than 10 preflop so any raise or call will bring your "M" down even lower so therefore if we are not folding this preflop, then we are shoving.
You have a pretty good shoving hand and more than enough chips to cripple the players at your table.
The only players I see insta-calling a preflop shove are AK,AA,KK,QQ and maybe a few other PP's.

As played though, I'm shoving that flop.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
M<10....why did you NOT shove???? Are you actually considering folding AKs post flop?????? Even if you do fold AKs, you will have such a small stack that when you eventually shove, you are going to get multiple callers because you have no fold equity.

G

Grimiscool

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You have less than M=10, you need to be shoving this pre-flop. You're not one of the chip leaders, it's an insta shove. This late on in the tournament you're looking to pick up chips quickly, you don't have time to accumulate. Maybe you're flipping, but that's what you need to do at this stage of the tournament to start winning these.

Even if you called pre, the flop should be a shove too. 366 will miss his range 99% of the time and you're only getting called with over-pairs. If he's got it, it's a cooler but you need to get more aggressive than this.

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with the preflop shove. I have a 10/10 rule. Anytime I have around 10 blinds(up to 15 in most cases) and a top ten hand, its an automatic shove.