$4.40 NLHE MTT: QQ facing all-ins

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Full Tilt - $4+0.40 $4 + $0.40 Rush On Demand (#227514822) - Blinds: 150/300 No Limit Hold'em (9 players)
Full Tilt Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: t2,746
BB: t10,142
UTG: t8,710
UTG+1: t8,170
MP: t8,178
MP+1: t14,270
MP+2 Hero: t20,386
CO: t4,190
BTN: t8,280

Pre-flop: (t450) Hero is MP+2 and dealt :qc4: :qd4:
UTG raises to t600, 3 folds, Hero raises to t1,200, 2 folds, SB raises to t2,746 (All-in), BB folds, UTG raises to t8,710 (All-in) Hero ???

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3bet larger, given action without reads it's pretty close, don't mind calling or folding given your 3bet size.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any reads at all on UTG?

The minraise followed by a shove would tend to suggest 88-KK, AK as AA would likely flat to try and induce you to shove. But I haven't played Rush tournaments to know what is 'usual' here.

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given that it's a rush tournament, I think you are beat. Calling with QQ, JJ etc is one of my leaks here -- almost every time, I am against bullets.
And like your example, it never seems to put me out, but eliminates my big stack. I say (and I hope I can follow my own advice) get out of the way and start swallowing up the small stacks...

A

aaron_jd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're likely up for sure against a person with a K or an A. QQ strength is diminished with two players in the hand (as opposed to just going heads up). I would lean towards folding, since the UTG stack can make a dent in your stack if he wins.

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given that it's a rush tournament, I think you are beat. Calling with QQ, JJ etc is one of my leaks here -- almost every time, I am against bullets.
And like your example, it never seems to put me out, but eliminates my big stack. I say (and I hope I can follow my own advice) get out of the way and start swallowing up the small stacks...

yeah I folded and UTG turned over KK and it made me feel good lol. Then the flop was Q3Q ahah.

(I know, if I called the flop would've changed.)

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
damn!!!!!!!!!!! I would have folded too, and then invented some new words you can't say on TV

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah I folded and UTG turned over KK and it made me feel good lol. Then the flop was Q3Q ahah.

(I know, if I called the flop would've changed.)

Stuck around to see the flop, eh? Serves you right! ;)

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a real gray area as effective stack size is just under 30bb's. If it were under 20 I'd say the only correct play would have been to isolate UTG by shoving as you're ahead of his range and with stacks so short he'd have to call with virtually any 2 cards. As it stands I think raising 2-2.5bb's is the better play. You don't want UTG to fold, the idea is simply to isolate him and discourage the blinds from entering the pot. This late in the game, most people don't want to risk 1/3 of their stack on spec hands. Also, as this is a Rush tourney, either of the blinds may have already prefolded to any raise so even 2x will do the trick.

But let's play it out as it actually went down. The SB ships his micro stack and UTG overshoves. Clearly he likes his hand, ALOT, but does this translate into a fold for you? I don't think so. Let's examine the situation from his point of view. The SB is on fumes and could have virtually any 2 cards with a prayer of holding up or sucking out. UTG has a strong but not bulletproof hand. He thinks he's ahead of your range but he really wants to be HU v. SB and would be happy if you just took the hint and went away. What hands act this way? High cards that want to see the full board and med to high pairs that don't want to see overcards. I think his most probable range is JJ-KK and and AQs-AK. Against this range your basically a flip but you're still getting nearly 2:1. If you lose you still have a very playable stack and if you win you've put yourself is good postion for a deep run. I lean towards a call but I can't fault laying it down.