$4.40 NLHE MTT: Better to check back flop here?

GDBPoker

GDBPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars, $4 Buy-in (10/20 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 8 Players

SB: 3,931 (196.6 bb)
BB: 2,810 (140.5 bb)
UTG+2: 3,180 (159 bb)
MP1: 1,911 (95.6 bb)
MP2: 2,770 (138.5 bb)
MP3: 3,718 (185.9 bb)
Hero (CO): 2,930 (146.5 bb)
BTN: 2,750 (137.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J
heart4.gif
K
diamond4.gif

4 folds, Hero raises to 60, BTN folds, SB calls 50, BB folds

Flop: (140) T
diamond4.gif
club4.gif
A
heart4.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets 93, SB calls 93

One thing I keep getting stumped with is what situations are good to CBet and which ones I should be checking back, and want to get better at evaluating it in hand.

Only the 5th hand of the MTT, and only my 5th recorded hand on this player.

My automatic reaction here is to CBet, but when I put his range into a hand chart I see that he is pretty much 100% calling every reasonably sized CBet.

Can someone tell me if my logic fits for the following?

In review I'm putting this villains SB calling range on 22-TT, A2s-AJs, K9s-KQs, Q8s-QJs, suited connectors and 1 gappers down to 65s, a fair few non-suited A's(if not all) and any unsuited broadways, apart from AK. Villain is most likely 3-betting some of these hands pre, but I thought it safe include them for now. Also this range may be too loose, but I think it fits with the players encountered at the micro's.

So for this range, villain has hit something on this board with almost every hand, so my best option would have been to just check back the flop and evaluate on the turn.

I know it's a boring hand, so thanks to everyone that takes a look and offers feedback :)

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're planning to only fire one barrel i would just check back. (King high might be the best hand here, altho if he didnt had anything i think he would c-bet)
When he checks on this flop he often has some showdown value. Maybe KK-JJ, 99, 88. If you fire a bet and he calls i think you have to barrel twice to get him off those hands. You always have some outs to the nuts. If you decide to take a stab i wouldn't bet so big. I rather bet smaller and barrel twice, then fire a big shot on the flop cause he often atleast calls one time with those hands.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We are super deep, on this board texture it's quite dry and we have a nut gut shot plus a K & J which if paired on turn or river gives us a good chance of having the best hand and we have position which of course is even better for us.

There are also hands which are better to fold. For example, middle/low pairs on the flop and even weak Ax hands on turns/rivers that might fold.

Super easy CB and likely a big mistake to just check behind when this deep.

2Pacavelli

2Pacavelli

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is best to make the continuation bet because its open raise makes this board of AT are present in u range , and the best time to win this hand is on the flop.

If he paid then you have the option to control the pot or bet second / third barrel , but as is well at the beginning of the tournament I 'd rather go check / fold and take the risk of losing that little pot.

GDBPoker

GDBPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great thanks everyone, your points make sense.

I would at least double barrel these in most situations if the turn is friendly enough, I'm questioning all of my "auto-pilot" moves at the moment and trying to get enough of a feel so I can analyze all aspects of the hand when I'm actually in it.

Of course in this review what I forgot to consider is what the villain perceives my range as, which includes a heap of crappy A's, which most people would cbet for protection. So by checking I'm polarizing my range to monsters and sweet nothings. Does that sound about right?

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When early blinds and you not know nothing about villain. Best option will be always cbet flop because this flop good for open range, and turn only check/fold...

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your 3bet ranges are a little out for the typical villain at these small tournaments. I haven't been playing too many tournaments but I find the typical villain is very passive with a 3 bet of between 0 and 3 percent. JJ+ and AKs is about 2.1% which I think is a fairly typical range.

Once you get a read on your opponent you could add in a few more hands if you think he is competent enough to know you are opening wider from the cutoff but I wouldn't go past TT+, AKs, AKo and maybe AQs until you have a solid read or enough hands.

I think the calling range you posted is pretty close to spot on.

As for the hand I think a cbet here is fine while we are this deep, although the Ace hits a chunk of his range it also hits most of ours. While in position and this deep I will cbet most flops.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would cbet the flop (as you did) and evaluate from there.

I like to represent an ace and possibly, he might fold.

X

xxMorpheusxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm fine with a C bet here. I don't always go really in depth with all the hands I think he could have. I just think he probably has a lot of hands without the strength to call. I will barrel here and rep the ace.

I don't usually fire two barrels in a spot like that. I'm looking for people I can bully for easy chips.

D

dsk1231

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker Stars, $4 Buy-in (10/20 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 8 Players

SB: 3,931 (196.6 bb)
BB: 2,810 (140.5 bb)
UTG+2: 3,180 (159 bb)
MP1: 1,911 (95.6 bb)
MP2: 2,770 (138.5 bb)
MP3: 3,718 (185.9 bb)
Hero (CO): 2,930 (146.5 bb)
BTN: 2,750 (137.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J
heart4.gif
K
diamond4.gif

4 folds, Hero raises to 60, BTN folds, SB calls 50, BB folds

Flop: (140) T
diamond4.gif
club4.gif
A
heart4.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets 93, SB calls 93

One thing I keep getting stumped with is what situations are good to CBet and which ones I should be checking back, and want to get better at evaluating it in hand.

Only the 5th hand of the MTT, and only my 5th recorded hand on this player.

My automatic reaction here is to CBet, but when I put his range into a hand chart I see that he is pretty much 100% calling every reasonably sized CBet.

Can someone tell me if my logic fits for the following?

In review I'm putting this villains SB calling range on 22-TT, A2s-AJs, K9s-KQs, Q8s-QJs, suited connectors and 1 gappers down to 65s, a fair few non-suited A's(if not all) and any unsuited broadways, apart from AK. Villain is most likely 3-betting some of these hands pre, but I thought it safe include them for now. Also this range may be too loose, but I think it fits with the players encountered at the micro's.

So for this range, villain has hit something on this board with almost every hand, so my best option would have been to just check back the flop and evaluate on the turn.

I know it's a boring hand, so thanks to everyone that takes a look and offers feedback :)
First thing I want to mention is it's only your 5th recorded hand on the player. Don't overuse hud stats with small sample sizes. It's a common mistake. What I would think about here is that flop will hit a decent portion of his range and if he is a player calling almost all cbets why in the world are you cbetting with a gutshot here? A part of why we cbet is fold equity. In this situation we have no reason to try to build a pot. Considering the lack of sample size on this guy, the board, and so far he seems to call cbets I'd be more inclined to take the free card. 1. You might hit your gutshot. 2. if he checks the turn there's a decent chance you can take the hand anyways. I personally think by cbetting in this situation you're just dumping chips. One more thing to think about is what is your plan here? Do you have a plan vs different reactions and different turn cards coming out or a plan on the river because of one and doning with a flop cbet is it, once again you're generally dumping chips here. I highly recommend finding videos about flop textures, villian types, and c-betting. A mix of learning fundementals and in-game experience it'll basically be 2nd nature. GL man.

Last edited: